Is this fair?

Old Jan 20, 12, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Is this fair?

I was flying on a ticket bought at expedia from COO to Bengaluru via LOS and DXB on jqn 25 arr jan 26.. COO to LOS on Air Nigeria the rest on Emirates and Emirate ticket all the way. 14 days before dep. expedia was told by Emirates that the flight on jan 25 from COO to LOS was cancelled. Instead I got a flight out of COO on the 23. leaving me with a 40 hour layover in LOS.

Is it fair to ask Emirates to compensate the expensive hotel, due to security, in Lagos and the 70 dollar VISA? After all Emirates could have put me on a flight out of LOS on the 24. instead with only a 16 hour layover with no need for hotel or visa? Travelling on a economy ticket.
Old Jan 20, 12, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Sounds like your beef is with Air Nigeria (who cancelled their flight and presumably rebooked you).
Old Jan 20, 12, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Sounds like your beef is with Air Nigeria (who cancelled their flight and presumably rebooked you).
And all made much more difficult by purchasing on a third-party site such as Expedia. If you had booked through a carrier, they might have taken care of you and had an internal dispute amongst the involved carriers.

Also, remember that if you don't like the reroute offered, you have the option of asking for something else or of cancelling and receiving a full refund, notwithstanding any standard provisions to the contrary.
Old Jan 20, 12, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jensine View Post
After all Emirates could have put me on a flight out of LOS on the 24. instead with only a 16 hour layover with no need for hotel or visa? Travelling on a economy ticket.
Did you ask them? I've found Emirates to be more than accommodating when it comes to schedule changes, even by other carriers.
Old Jan 20, 12, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Did you ask them? I've found Emirates to be more than accommodating when it comes to schedule changes, even by other carriers.
+1 especially since everything's wide open.

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.0/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
LOS  Lagos Murtala Muhammed NG [DNMM]
BLR  Bangalore Bengaluru Intl IN [VOBG]
TUE  24 Jan 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------
EK         784     LOS   14:45     DXB   01:05     77W      F2 A2 J4 C4 I4 O7 Y7 E7 R7 W7 M7 B7 U7 K7 H7 Q7 L7 T7 V7 X7
 -> EK     564     DXB   03:40     BLR   08:50     343      F0 A2 J4 C4 I4 O7 Y7 E7 R7 W7 M7 B7 U7 K7 H7 Q7 L7 T7 V7 X7
EK         784     LOS   14:45     DXB   01:05     77W      F2 A2 J4 C4 I4 O7 Y7 E7 R7 W7 M7 B7 U7 K7 H7 Q7 L7 T7 V7 X7
 -> EK     566     DXB   12:05     BLR   17:15     332      F2 A2 J4 C4 I4 O7 Y7 E7 R7 W7 M7 B7 U7 K7 H7 Q7 L7 T7 V7 X7
EK         782     LOS   21:25     DXB   07:40     345      P2 A2 J4 C4 I4 O7 Y7 E7 R7 W7 M7 B7 U7 K7 H7 Q7 L7 T7 V7 X7
 -> EK     566     DXB   12:05     BLR   17:15     332      F2 A2 J4 C4 I4 O7 Y7 E7 R7 W7 M7 B7 U7 K7 H7 Q7 L7 T7 V7 X7
Old Jan 21, 12, 8:38 am
Original Poster

My "beef" is with emirates

I booked through expedia because, I cannot book a flight out of COO directly on Emirates homepage.

According to Expedia, they have tried to talk to Emirates, but my booking code does not allow for changing the flight date. If emirates had accepted the change, I could have saved a visa and two nights on an expensive airport hotel.

Personally, I think that Expedia has not tried hard enough to explain the situation to Emirates. According to Expedia, it was Emirates who told them about the cancelation. There are other flights out of COO on the 25. but none that cooperate with Emirates, so that was also ruled out.

When I get home, I will try to get Expedia to cover my expenses since I bought the ticket with them.

Getting my money back was not an option. I am from Denmark, and in Benin on vacation, leaving for another vacation in India. Tickets out of COO on such short notice was 60 % more than the original ticket and with very bad connections. So I was forced to accept this solution. Now I hope, that Ibis Lagos is a decent hotel with a nice pool :-)
Old Jan 21, 12, 9:14 am

Once again, did YOU ask Emirates to change your date?
Old Jan 21, 12, 10:08 am

I booked through expedia because, I cannot book a flight out of COO directly on Emirates homepage.

According to Expedia, they have tried to talk to Emirates, but my booking code does not allow for changing the flight date. If emirates had accepted the change, I could have saved a visa and two nights on an expensive airport hotel.

Personally, I think that Expedia has not tried hard enough to explain the situation to Emirates. According to Expedia, it was Emirates who told them about the cancelation. There are other flights out of COO on the 25. but none that cooperate with Emirates, so that was also ruled out.

When I get home, I will try to get Expedia to cover my expenses since I bought the ticket with them.

Getting my money back was not an option. I am from Denmark, and in Benin on vacation, leaving for another vacation in India. Tickets out of COO on such short notice was 60 % more than the original ticket and with very bad connections. So I was forced to accept this solution. Now I hope, that Ibis Lagos is a decent hotel with a nice pool :-)
Two words. Expedia sucks. Call Emirates directly and explain the situation. You might need to escalate to a supervisor but free changes or not, EK should move you to the 24th flight from LOS.
Old Jan 21, 12, 7:26 pm

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
Mate,

I don't know how to help you out exactly on this situation but I had 17 company staff in LOS flying out with EK in J & then the mess started(u know what I mean)

EK was pretty accomodating to us but flights went BLANK last week & there was lot of panic in our security dept. EK DXB & NYC suggested to wait for 24 hrs or fly them out NOW at our own cost & they refund 40% of the invoiced costs MAX or the full equialent of the J tkts 1 way fare back to IAH from LOS if commercial including the 1 way taxes too.

Unfortunately our staff went a little overboard thanks to SKY & BBC so we had to pull them out privately with a lot of string pulling too with the State Dept. Our logistics is preparing the Folio for EK

Safe Flying

EGT

Last edited by ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER; Jan 21, 12 at 7:27 pm Reason: Mistake
Old Jan 22, 12, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Maybe I should have called Emirates

I have previsously had a flight bought at Expedia on Delta, AAR-CPH-ATL-RSW (Delta could not provide a ticket that included AAR-CPH so i HAD to use Expedia). Then Delta cancelled the flight from CPH to ATL. This was the time of the Iceland volcano, so Expedia was difficult to reach, and the flight was still some time away, so to speed things up, I called Delta directly. They told me, that since I bought the ticket with Expedia, I had to talk to Expedia.

I expected the same to happen here, if I called Emirates. Being in Togo at the time, phoning was horrbile expensive, so I never tried, since I thought I knew the answer. Maybe that was a mistake, but I thought that Expedia could handle the job.
Old Jan 22, 12, 8:35 am

I expected the same to happen here, if I called Emirates. Being in Togo at the time, phoning was horrbile expensive, so I never tried, since I thought I knew the answer. Maybe that was a mistake, but I thought that Expedia could handle the job.
While other airlines strictly follow this rule, Emirates is known to be willing to change EK issued (176 ticket #) tickets before departure even if they have been issued with an agency. I have personal experience with this.
Old Jan 22, 12, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
While other airlines strictly follow this rule, Emirates is known to be willing to change EK issued (176 ticket #) tickets before departure even if they have been issued with an agency. I have personal experience with this.
Indeed, when it comes to changes, Emirates doesn't really care where you booked the ticket from provided it is issued on their stock.

Refunds are another story though - those have to be processed through the issuing agency due to money laundering regulations in many countries.

Search this Thread