Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 First Class Seating

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Thanks for the replies. I stuck with 1A for the flight I was asking about, and will (hopefully remember to) report back in a week after I fly. I've got 3 A380 flights in the next few weeks so should have plenty of time to ponder such highly-important things.... My other two flights are 2K.

Curious if the curtains are more annoying than the potential for a little noise in the back. I figure I'll be flying a decent amount of EK going forward so may as well scope it out.

(​​​​​a litle OT, but each ex-HKG flight I've taken the 77W for the first sector, and I must admit I prefer that bird to the A380. I don't use the bar at the back of the A380 and the shower is lovely but not something I need every flight. Just on certain ones. The 77W seems to have a higher ceiling and suite walls. I've sat I row 2 each time on that plane. I'm not sure if this preference for 77W over A380 F is a popular opinion or not around these parts)
Actually it's pretty much accepted that 77W in F can be superior when the blingy (blingo!) Extras are trimmed away, smaller cabin results in better service sometimes and there are some subtle differences in the suites as you mention
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
To me, that seems a perfect solution. They're close enough for the parents to parent them, and not dump that responsibility off on cabin crew. Playing dolls also means that they're not running around screaming. How could one possibly improve on that scenario?

When I was a lad, my parents always believed that the children should be with them. That meant, of course, that we were taught and expected to observe the same behavioral norms that they did, ate at the same restaurants, etc. I really liked it and thought that it was a sound approach.
Yes, I was "lucky". I don't mean to be sexist, but it is not always girls playing dolls ... , and not as well educated as you were.
Anyway, I must admit that I never had severe neighbor issues so far with EK.
Once, a 5/6 yo boy running the aisle, but not so much space to really run fast in F.

I can't say the same for lounge behavior ...
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Update on seat 1A on A380

Flew a few segments recently, including 1A on the A380 which I was inquiring about upthread. To summarize simply:

*Space is definitely more limited
*Window is missing (duh)
*Quieter than 4A
*I didn't notice the nuisance of the bar/shower area curtains, as I had my suite door closed most of the time.

I probably wouldn't pick this seat if you don't fly F often and are looking for that "perfect experience" with all the windows and space and whatnot, but if sleeping is your main priority and don't mind the (mostly space-related) drawbacks I mention, I think 1A on the A380 might be a winner.

We had a full house 14/14 and a day flight.

As for size, 1A is definitely smaller as all of you report. I use a 22" Tumi as my primary carryon (that's on the "larger" size of acceptable rollerboards, 20" is a better size). For example, the bed struggled to fully recline with legrest extended due to my Tumi at the foot of the bed. Note I always store this same rollerboard on EK in F and have never had this issue before, albeit I've never sat in 1A on A380 until now (AFAIK, I have brought this suitcase with me on every EK F flight I've taken in the last few years). That's how I could tell space was obviously constrained. The bed not going full isn't a fatal problem if you're average height like me because my feet didn't go that far, but if you're over 6 feet tall it might be. This situation is obviously not as relevant if you don't bring everything on board with you...I rarely check bags if I can avoid it. For another example, my 22" suitcase couldn't properly fit in to use those straps under the TV, which just made it clear to me how this suite was narrower than the other seats. (my Tumi fits into the strap area on the other A380 suites, for example, and all 77W suites). The windowside table / faux wood area is also noticeably smaller in 1A. I also had to pick up my briefcase on the floor and stuff it in the area where the bedding is stored pre-flight, because it couldn't fit once the suite was in bed mode.

Lack of window didn't bother me. The only one missing is the forward one which is the harder one to see out of anyway.

As for quiet and privacy. 1A was great with a caveat that it's only private with the suite doors closed. Again, we had 14/14 and it was a day flight. The crew were busy handling passengers and the galley seemed to be busy the entire flight (at least when I used the aft toilet a few times, there sure was a lot of bustle going on back there and most pax were wide awake, eating and having a grand old time). My other pre-flight window seat option, 4A no doubt had some noise on account of the full flight and daytime timing. I'll also, add, folks were chatting it up in the cabin itself, there were two pairs of friends traveling together and talking a good portion of the flight in the middle seats. Rows 2-3 got much more of that noise than me in 1A. The only time I got some noise was I think there was a baby in economy sitting right near the bottom of the stairs, and the baby wailed a few times loud enough to hear it in F.

Curtains to the shower areas also weren't problematic because I just shut the suite doors. Never noticed once that happened. But if you're the type who likes to leave your suite doors open, indeed these seats have nearly zero privacy at all. Folks walking out of that front bar/shower suite area are staring right at you as they return to the cabin. People could practically stumble into your seat if the doors are open. But once the doors are closed I didn't notice anything.

All in all, glad I picked 1A although I'd probably be more cautious about bringing half my life's possessions next time given the space is definitely tighter.
Kölner likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:46 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Flew a few segments recently, including 1A on the A380 which I was inquiring about upthread. To summarize simply:

*Space is definitely more limited
*Window is missing (duh)
*Quieter than 4A
*I didn't notice the nuisance of the bar/shower area curtains, as I had my suite door closed most of the time.

I probably wouldn't pick this seat if you don't fly F often and are looking for that "perfect experience" with all the windows and space and whatnot, but if sleeping is your main priority and don't mind the (mostly space-related) drawbacks I mention, I think 1A on the A380 might be a winner.

We had a full house 14/14 and a day flight.

As for size, 1A is definitely smaller as all of you report. I use a 22" Tumi as my primary carryon (that's on the "larger" size of acceptable rollerboards, 20" is a better size). For example, the bed struggled to fully recline with legrest extended due to my Tumi at the foot of the bed. Note I always store this same rollerboard on EK in F and have never had this issue before, albeit I've never sat in 1A on A380 until now (AFAIK, I have brought this suitcase with me on every EK F flight I've taken in the last few years). That's how I could tell space was obviously constrained. The bed not going full isn't a fatal problem if you're average height like me because my feet didn't go that far, but if you're over 6 feet tall it might be. This situation is obviously not as relevant if you don't bring everything on board with you...I rarely check bags if I can avoid it. For another example, my 22" suitcase couldn't properly fit in to use those straps under the TV, which just made it clear to me how this suite was narrower than the other seats. (my Tumi fits into the strap area on the other A380 suites, for example, and all 77W suites). The windowside table / faux wood area is also noticeably smaller in 1A. I also had to pick up my briefcase on the floor and stuff it in the area where the bedding is stored pre-flight, because it couldn't fit once the suite was in bed mode.

Lack of window didn't bother me. The only one missing is the forward one which is the harder one to see out of anyway.

As for quiet and privacy. 1A was great with a caveat that it's only private with the suite doors closed. Again, we had 14/14 and it was a day flight. The crew were busy handling passengers and the galley seemed to be busy the entire flight (at least when I used the aft toilet a few times, there sure was a lot of bustle going on back there and most pax were wide awake, eating and having a grand old time). My other pre-flight window seat option, 4A no doubt had some noise on account of the full flight and daytime timing. I'll also, add, folks were chatting it up in the cabin itself, there were two pairs of friends traveling together and talking a good portion of the flight in the middle seats. Rows 2-3 got much more of that noise than me in 1A. The only time I got some noise was I think there was a baby in economy sitting right near the bottom of the stairs, and the baby wailed a few times loud enough to hear it in F.

Curtains to the shower areas also weren't problematic because I just shut the suite doors. Never noticed once that happened. But if you're the type who likes to leave your suite doors open, indeed these seats have nearly zero privacy at all. Folks walking out of that front bar/shower suite area are staring right at you as they return to the cabin. People could practically stumble into your seat if the doors are open. But once the doors are closed I didn't notice anything.

All in all, glad I picked 1A although I'd probably be more cautious about bringing half my life's possessions next time given the space is definitely tighter.
for someone like me who travels with a 20 inch Tumi rollaboard and a duffle/weekender type bag as my personal item, any EK F suite has space constraints when I try to store everything in my Suite. If F isn’t full I’ll usuallt just store both my carry ones in another suite. But on full flights I need to put my personal item up on the side area (on top of mini bar area), as the bed simply won’t extend all the way with it on the floor. I think this is one of the drawbacks of EK’s suites. I wish they had closets like LH does in F on some of their aircraft, but there’s just no where for EK to put enough closets for 14 people!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by S.R

for someone like me who travels with a 20 inch Tumi rollaboard and a duffle/weekender type bag as my personal item, any EK F suite has space constraints when I try to store everything in my Suite. If F isn’t full I’ll usuallt just store both my carry ones in another suite. But on full flights I need to put my personal item up on the side area (on top of mini bar area), as the bed simply won’t extend all the way with it on the floor. I think this is one of the drawbacks of EK’s suites. I wish they had closets like LH does in F on some of their aircraft, but there’s just no where for EK to put enough closets for 14 people!
Space is a challenge. I've also had cabin crew store it for me elsewhere when F is full.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by S.R

My personal item is usually a briefcase (vs a duffel), and this is the only time I've faced an obvious space problem: seat 1A on the A380. I ultimately got the seat fully flat, but the issue was the legrest extender can't go all the way. But I can see how a duffel would make things bigger than my briefcase.

On previous A380 flights I've never had the issue, albeit this is my first time on 1A. On my last A380 flight a few months ago I was in a middle suite; am I dreaming, is it possible the middle A380 suites have more space than the windows?

On 77W flights in any suite (I've sat in most/all windows and middles on that bird), space is downright abundant compared to A380.

Before putting more of my business to EK int he last 12 months, I had the impression...via the blogs, admittedly...that EK A380 F was the way to go. The more I fly on 77W the more I'm convinced that's wrong. I go out of my way for 77W given the space, higher ceilings, higher suite walls and intimacy. I'm mostly based in Hong Kong, where 1/3 nonstops (early morning departure) are the 77W. That's what I've been taking ex-HKG exclusively since last year.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
My flight in 1K was a day flight, and when sitting up disturbance from the curtains to the front loo were certainly noticeable, less so when reclined. My next flight in this seat is a night flight, and I’ll report my further opinion back after that.

I would prefer that there was a third window; given that the suite feels noticeably smaller an extra window at the front would give a feeling of more space.

None of these issues are major to me, it’s an interesting exercise to find fault in a product that I really enjoyed.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:50 pm

My personal item is usually a briefcase . . . .
Hang it in the wardrobe area to keep the suite clear.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:09 pm

I really dislike row 1, I couldn’t recline either with my roll on tumi.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Are 2E and 2F the only real options for two traveling together? I know there’s an ottoman in front of you. Is something like 2A and 3A okay, with a way to share meals together in one person’s suite?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:17 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Are 2E and 2F the only real options for two traveling together? I know there’s an ottoman in front of you. Is something like 2A and 3A okay, with a way to share meals together in one person’s suite?
No ottoman in EK F, and no way for 2 people to dine in the same suite. The E/F seats are your best best for being close to someone else, having a conversation etc. I don’t think 3E/F or 1E/F are that bad either.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:16 am

Both 2E/F and 3E/F are suitable options for a couple on A380. I've done row 3 before with Mrs. QRC.

2A and 3A definitely are a bad choice given your line of questoning (they're great seats either as a single traveler or a couple who doesn't want to interact though...). As mentioned above, you seem perhaps a bit confused about the seat. There is no ottoman, and definitely no way for front back seats to interact save standing up on your seats or going outside the suite into the aisle.

Note the middle seats cannot dine together given the design. Hard to share food. But the two middle suites are really nice as a couple because you can close the outside doors, open the middle divider thing and it feels both intimate and spacious. The middle seats are obviously the right choice if you're desiring to do a lot of interacting with one another.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:27 am

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but is row 1 or 2 in the middle the best for two traveling together on the 777?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:33 am

What seats does EK block out in First on the A380 on a long flight such as DXB-IAH?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:01 am

What seats does EK block out in First on the A380 on a long flight such as DXB-IAH?
If the plane doesn't have a CRC then either 1A or 1K usually, if the plane has a CRC then none

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.