Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:37 am

For those running into issues with EK/Skywards, I've realised that as long it's something that can be discussed on the phone, they're usually quick to solve it this way, while anything that needs to go online/email, will take ages or simply go missing in the sand.

At least my camel poo (Gold card package) arrived within 3 days of achieving status within the system, not bad at all! (Given I'm living in Non-EU Europe, reached status on Friday 27th, letter dated Tuesday, 31st May, arrived Friday 3rd June, only got to pick it up today, but the arrival stamp at my local post office was from Friday and they couldn't deliver it to me at that day because I wasn't home and it needed a signature)

Oh, and the letter opener is nice, I've to admit ^
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Oh, and the letter opener is nice, I've to admit ^
Yes, I really like the letter opener. Waiting for my own Gold package (hopefully!) later this year. Tried stealing the letter opener from my dad's Gold package but he wouldn't have any of it!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver, Miles & Bonus Gold, BD Diamond Blue
Originally Posted by ung1
Yes, I really like the letter opener. Waiting for my own Gold package (hopefully!) later this year. Tried stealing the letter opener from my dad's Gold package but he wouldn't have any of it!
looking forward to the letter opener. Shame that will prob be my last Gold gift in a while!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by ung1
the letter opener comes with the gold package .. i didnt receive it last year

Hopefully it gets renewed this year ..

Btw.. IIRC you taking some flights in F in the MLE - DXB sector.. still short of miles is it
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
the letter opener comes with the gold package .. i didnt receive it last year

Hopefully it gets renewed this year ..

Btw.. IIRC you taking some flights in F in the MLE - DXB sector.. still short of miles is it
Yea well that's only 17,000 tier miles. I usually renew Silver towards the end of the year so it is far too early to be thinking about Gold normally. Anyway, with Saver fares I'm going to need an alternate strategy. Maybe buy a million US Air miles. They're on sale again.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:20 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by vieri_c
looking forward to the letter opener. Shame that will prob be my last Gold gift in a while!
I never got a letter opener or any gifts for that matter !!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:42 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Share your Miles with family and friends

Received this in the Skywards newsletter last night .... it keeps getting better and better; not only do you earn less now with saver miles, they cost more to purchase. I wouldn't be surprised if they start disallowing redemptions for friends/family

"From 1 July you will have increased flexibility in managing your account by transferring or purchasing Miles.

You will now be able to transfer your existing Miles to other Skywards members at a charge of USD 25 per 1,000 Miles. Additional Miles can also be purchased at a revised rate of USD 40 per 1,000 Miles. With no additional transaction fees and an introductory saving of 5% via skywards.com, rewards have never been closer."
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by khalid26
Received this in the Skywards newsletter last night .... it keeps getting better and better; not only do you earn less now with saver miles, they cost more to purchase. I wouldn't be surprised if they start disallowing redemptions for friends/family

"From 1 July you will have increased flexibility in managing your account by transferring or purchasing Miles.

You will now be able to transfer your existing Miles to other Skywards members at a charge of USD 25 per 1,000 Miles. Additional Miles can also be purchased at a revised rate of USD 40 per 1,000 Miles. With no additional transaction fees and an introductory saving of 5% via skywards.com, rewards have never been closer."
They should just get rid of the Family programme. So now to buy miles at the old rate you need an account in which the miles have already been earned! I didn't realize there were ways left to enhance the programme!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by khalid26

This is very disappointing and contributes to the devaluation of the program. While we were talking about difficulties earning tier miles it is now even spending miles that is had to get.

How much was the purchase price before? USD 25 per 1,000 miles? That's almost doubling it!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:32 am

Question

Originally Posted by GigoloArt
This is very disappointing and contributes to the devaluation of the program. While we were talking about difficulties earning tier miles it is now even spending miles that is had to get.

How much was the purchase price before? USD 25 per 1,000 miles? That's almost doubling it!
I'm just a few miles short of another upgrade - the upgrade hasn't become available yet - do you think it's worth purchasing the extra miles BEFORE they go up on July 1st?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:59 am

Unhappy Even Skywards didn't know!!!

Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady
I'm just a few miles short of another upgrade - the upgrade hasn't become available yet - do you think it's worth purchasing the extra miles BEFORE they go up on July 1st?
I decided to phone Skywards - they claimed they knew nothing about it - but then they also said they'd never heard of FlyerTalk lol!!!

Then after 20minutes of holding - they discovered that it is indeed correct!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady
Well, yes! I mean if you intend to upgrade and you need to buy miles then obviously you want to buy them at a cheaper price. I think the question you are struggling with is whether you actually should upgrade..
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by GigoloArt
...I think the question you are struggling with is whether you actually should upgrade..
Or whether an upgrade will actually be available. The money may be wasted if the poster will not have another opportunity to use them before the purchased, or currently owned, miles expire.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Pass, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Gold
Brand new to this site but wanted to air my question and see if it could get answered.

I gained Gold status in May after a few flights to the UK, Singapore, Bahrain and Qatar mostly economy apart from Qatar flights. Average tier points to UK 6000 and Singapore 7000 so got 32k quite quick.

About a month after gaining my letter opener came the news that no guest in lounge for Gold Member flying economy (my wife isn't to happy) until lounge extensions done but when I asked staff recently they said until further notice I.e. Never. Next issue tier points, just booked flight to Hong Kong no choice whether flex or saver ended up with saver so only get 3500 tier points (18h in the air, I earn the same flying 2h business to Doha) checked flight to UK only 3000. now the price isn't any cheaper than I paid before but tier point halved? It would seem they are trying to make Gold far more exclusive by emptying lounges of guests and making it far harder for economy high mileage flyers to achieve gold. Thoughts please?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:06 am

Welcome to FT.

The topic you're mostly mentioning, i.e. Saver/Flex and Gold lounge access for guests has been plenty in the discussion

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...e-changes.html

While the changes are definitely not nice, some of the prior rules from EK were pretty good, i.e. full earning on even the cheapest Eco fares was something which is definitely NOT industry standard today, and Gold was indeed earned too quick by many.

About the Lounge access rule, hope is that with the harder qualification for it, and expanding of lounges once the new terminal gets operational, lounge access for 1 guest could indeed work out again. I would give EK a bit time on this, but certainly not defend them for restricting it. It was just too crowded in some lounges, notably DXB, they had to do a change. How it was done, of course, was wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.