Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by theswapmeat
I appreciate that there is duty that one has to pay for an upgrade from LHR back to DXB...any idea how much that is?
There is no extra duty to pay if you receive an op-up. There is also no extra duty to pay on a J - F upgrade so either way you should be safe.

The increase in duty is only from an economy cabin to a premium cabin, so J and F pax are both already paying the increased amount.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by theswapmeat
Hi Guys, very informative stuff here.

Have a quick question -

I'm flying J on EK29 on Nov 20 from DXB - LHR returning on Nov 24 on EK30.

What are the chances of an op-up for me on either sectors? I appreciate that there is duty that one has to pay for an upgrade from LHR back to DXB...any idea how much that is?

Thanks!

edit - Forgot to mention, I am currently Silver on Skywards.
APD is the same for a J or F seat . So if you have bought a J ticket you don't have to pay any extra APD as you have already paid the premium cabin APD when you bought your J ticket. Therefore you don't have to pay any extra APD if you upgrade from J to F

On the other hand if someone wants to upgrade from economy to J then you have to pay the difference in APD between both fares.
It is somewhere around £75 or £80.

This is only for flights departing the Uk and therefore you can avoid APD if you
Use miles to upgrade ex DXB to UK
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:49 am

emirates flight

can i booked flight now using my skywards miles for November next year
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by kazikool
can i booked flight now using my skywards miles for November next year
First post in 2.5 years - now that's serious lurking! Welcome.

EK releases flights for sale approx 240 days in advance. This means early November 2012 flights will go on sale towards the end of November 2011 and will be released daily until approx Xmas day when all November will be available. The same is true for reward flights.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
First post in 2.5 years - now that's serious lurking! Welcome.

EK releases flights for sale approx 240 days in advance. This means early November 2012 flights will go on sale towards the end of November 2011 and will be released daily until approx Xmas day when all November will be available. The same is true for reward flights.
I think you meant 340 days.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ung1
I think you meant 340 days.
You think correctly.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Can someone upgrade using miles from two accounts?

For example, upgrade from LAX-DXB is 67500 (Saver). Use 50000 from account A and use 17500 from account B.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:16 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Can someone upgrade using miles from two accounts?

For example, upgrade from LAX-DXB is 67500 (Saver). Use 50000 from account A and use 17500 from account B.
Yes, you can now transfer miles between accounts (up to 25,000 miles in a year). Not cheap though at 2.5 cents a mile, so you would need to transfer 17,500 miles to the other account (cost of US$437.50, less 5% discount if you do this online prior to end Dec 2011). See here for more.
https://www.skywards.com/TransferOfMiles.aspx
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
Yes, you can now transfer miles between accounts (up to 25,000 miles in a year). Not cheap though at 2.5 cents a mile, so you would need to transfer 17,500 miles to the other account (cost of US$437.50, less 5% discount if you do this online prior to end Dec 2011). See here for more.
https://www.skywards.com/TransferOfMiles.aspx
Remember two years ago that was the price of buying miles. But I'm not looking for transfering, I'm looking for using two accounts to upgrade.

In regards to transferring, it's better for me or anybody to buy 20k points from SPG and transfer it to EK, that would get me an extra 5K miles. One point costs 0.028 USD. So 25K miles would cost me 560 USD.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Remember two years ago that was the price of buying miles. But I'm not looking for transfering, I'm looking for using two accounts to upgrade.

In regards to transferring, it's better for me or anybody to buy 20k points from SPG and transfer it to EK, that would get me an extra 5K miles. One point costs 0.028 USD. So 25K miles would cost me 560 USD.
No, you can't use two accounts for a single upgrade.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:15 am

Now, that 2012 is round the corner, what "benefits" are most likely to be axed? I hope Skywards keep the existing 5% discount for reward flights booked online.

What does the insiders and expert think?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by kshastry
Now, that 2012 is round the corner, what "benefits" are most likely to be axed? I hope Skywards keep the existing 5% discount for reward flights booked online.

What does the insiders and expert think?
There's actually something left for them to get rid off? I expect more semi-useful stuff like partners and offers but doubt there'll be major changes to the program.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
i understand that for silver member you could check in at the business class check in counters outside DXB even if you are not taking business class, however i just realised today when i was walking to the counter in BNE airport that the sign only says "Business Class / Skywards Gold" i would like to know should i not be taking business class in future,can i still check in at the business class counter?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:32 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mesmerized
i understand that for silver member you could check in at the business class check in counters outside DXB even if you are not taking business class, however i just realised today when i was walking to the counter in BNE airport that the sign only says "Business Class / Skywards Gold" i would like to know should i not be taking business class in future,can i still check in at the business class counter?
Yes you should be. I am not aware of any changes to the policy.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Noob Question Du Jour

Suppose I am flying

BKK-x/HKG-x/DXB-YYZ (connection in HKG/DXB) on a Y (gasp! ) saver ticket.

Will I earn the saver rate for BKK-YYZ? Would this change if I stop over in HKG? The 'fare basis' is a BKK-YYZ fare that allows stopovers in HKG and DXB so I fear that I may only get the saver BKK-DXB-YYZ miles

Bonus Question: Can I then upgrade BKK-x/HKG-DXB (stopover or connection, does it matter) for the BKK-DXB upgrade rate?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.