Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:51 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GigoloArt
You cannot transfer miles from one skywards account to another.
Um. Yes, you can. Recent change in Skywards -came into effect 01 July. Refer Skywards website.
https://www.skywards.com/TransferOfMiles.aspx
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by GigoloArt
You cannot transfer miles from one skywards account to another.
You can from 1st July if you pay 2.5 cents per mile I think. Also if OP is going to travel regularly on EK he should get their miles credited to personal accounts for them and then buy enough extra miles into the accounts and use their miles to upgrade himself.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Ah yes, I remember that you had to pay to do so.

Apologies and thanks for the community to correct it!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:03 pm

Emirates Customer Service is appalling

My family and I have travelled long haul with Emirates the last time being Dec 2010. Went on to book a flight to Beijing only to find my miles balance was 0 - spoke to customer service was on hold for 40 minutes with no help - apparently unclaimed miles expires within 6 months !! This now being 7 months I asked them if they would consider reinstatement as there had been a misunderstanding - have also sent 2 emails to customer service both replies came back stating the same - expiry 6 months. I need to book the flight for Beijing for next month - I find the whole experience very frustrating - I have noticed while searching on this forum that they have re-instated miles back to people previously - any help on this subject would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by albacapricorn
My family and I have travelled long haul with Emirates the last time being Dec 2010. Went on to book a flight to Beijing only to find my miles balance was 0 - spoke to customer service was on hold for 40 minutes with no help - apparently unclaimed miles expires within 6 months !! This now being 7 months I asked them if they would consider reinstatement as there had been a misunderstanding - have also sent 2 emails to customer service both replies came back stating the same - expiry 6 months. I need to book the flight for Beijing for next month - I find the whole experience very frustrating - I have noticed while searching on this forum that they have re-instated miles back to people previously - any help on this subject would be much appreciated.
Hi there. What was the misunderstanding that you mentioned in your post? Had you tried to claim the miles within the six months without success and you are now trying again? It is doubtful you will be successful unless you can show attempts being made within the six month window and / or you can show them a lot of high value business being at stake - multiple first class tickets for instance.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by albacapricorn
That is the rule, and they are unlikely to bend it for you. A case in which they might do this is if 100k miles expire from your account and you realize it 3 days later. (At least LH has done this, so EK probably would).

As far as a new booking goes - previous miles aren't going to help. Look on the bright side - you could use this as an opportunity to switch carriers. Flying to Beijing will earn you 3,500 miles on a saver fare, hardly worth the effort if you travel infrequently anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:56 pm

Thanks for the replies, still emailing back and forth to customer service - unfortunately I had not checked my balance until recently when I discovered the miles had not been awarded - had not tried previously within the 6 months - was unaware - will keep you posted if I they reconsider.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by eightblack
I am pleased that we are making progress with our ongoing discussions with EK and Skywards. They certainly know who we are, they know of the importance of FT and social media on a bigger scale. And they genuinely do seem interested in listening to their most loyal customers, which many of you are.

Post your questions below, which are Skywards related, and we will attempt to gain clarity and answers for

Moderator-EK Forum
so still no responses from Skywards...interesting... This is one area where BA seems way ahead of the curve...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: Skywards-Gold, SPG-Platinum
Can you transfer tier miles or are they just miles?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:00 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by gomurad
Can you transfer tier miles or are they just miles?
No you can't transfer tier miles. Only Skywards miles can be transferred...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: KL Plat, LH Sen, OW Sapphire, EK Gold, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, FPC Prem
Hi all,

I've got a question regarding upgrades of specific flight segments as part of a larger itinerary:

I recently flew AMS-DXB-AKL (with the stop over in MEL) as well as some AMS-DXB routes, so I have raked up enough miles for a one-way upgrade to F.

I'm looking to book AMS-DXB-MEL in business (C or saver fares) and was wondering whether it's possible to only upgrade the DXB-MEL part of that trip to First with Skywards miles, or whether if I want to upgrade, I have to upgrade the entire trip AMS-DXB-MEL?

Cheers,

Kris
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kphilipsen
Hi all,

I've got a question regarding upgrades of specific flight segments as part of a larger itinerary:

I recently flew AMS-DXB-AKL (with the stop over in MEL) as well as some AMS-DXB routes, so I have raked up enough miles for a one-way upgrade to F.

I'm looking to book AMS-DXB-MEL in business (C or saver fares) and was wondering whether it's possible to only upgrade the DXB-MEL part of that trip to First with Skywards miles, or whether if I want to upgrade, I have to upgrade the entire trip AMS-DXB-MEL?

Cheers,

Kris
Yes, you can upgrade any of the individual legs. Go to manage my booking -> upgrade your flight, and it'll show you the various options and what is available. Note that if you upgrade the entire outbound it works out cheaper than upgrading the legs individually.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance , BA
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
You can from 1st July if you pay 2.5 cents per mile I think. Also if OP is going to travel regularly on EK he should get their miles credited to personal accounts for them and then buy enough extra miles into the accounts and use their miles to upgrade himself.

Isn't that expensive?

Can you transfer Skywards miles to BA miles?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Teatimer
Isn't that expensive?

Can you transfer Skywards miles to BA miles?
Some would say so yes but given that prior to this no transfers were possible with EK and miles cost 4c each to buy outright it may work for those who might otherwise see miles go to waste.

There is no way that I know of to transfer miles from Skywards to BA.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: Star Alliance , BA
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Some would say so yes but given that prior to this no transfers were possible with EK and miles cost 4c each to buy outright it may work for those who might otherwise see miles go to waste.

There is no way that I know of to transfer miles from Skywards to BA.

Thanks ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.