Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by SonnyCash
Hi All,

I'm based around the Gatwick area and for the past 5 years have predominantly used Qatar Airways for my flying. I am not a very frequent flyer but have maintained a silver card status with Qatar for the last 3 years.

From 31st May QR, will be cancelling their LGW - DOH route and I am now looking to use another airline. I was wondering if EK will status match the existing status I have with QR if I started flying with them.

I have an old Skywards membership but this has zero miles on it but they still do send me promotional mails.

I want to contact Skywards but first wanted to find out from the knowledgeable people here first of their experiences if any.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in adavance

Ho Ho HO! :-) with the route cancelled they should make you work for the miles as they have a monopoly now!

Seriously though, I would approach it without mentioning LGW... I think they will do it if you do 75k a year +

Less seriously but still seriously Ill swap my EK gold for your whatever it is called, Chamber(Onyx, goatweed jasper, Star?) .. ! i took a Qr flight last month 10 days after an EK and just took another Ek (All transcon GRU onward to hub and beyond). I must say QR has rhe edge as of now as a J pax. Quieter lounge (no Golds) better seats, better cuisine equal IFE Equal on ground handling. Fewer frequencies but I dont need so many and Ek seems to fly the 380-s on my desired sectors at perfectly horrid times. And zero upgrades pour moi... so if you can make it work lets do a recirpocal status match!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:24 am

new to the forum. ive just dropped back down to silver,will i still get some op ups.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by superkippax
new to the forum. ive just dropped back down to silver,will i still get some op ups.
Never say never as it might, just might be possible on some routes but it is very unlikely and you certainly should not expect any. Good luck though. I regularly ply the London, Lagos, Nairobi, Moscow routes from DXB and have not had one for nearly 4 years now and I am Gold and pretty much always have been.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:30 am

Thumbs up

thanks for the info mrtdxb,i fly man-dxb-bkk and used to do well with op ups on the second legs,will see how it goes.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:00 am

Smile

Op-ups are such a contentious issue - a girl I work with was upgraded from London via Dubai to the Maldives on her honeymoon and they bought the cheapest of economy flights!! She just asked and the plane wasn't full either...I am very jealous...
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: QR
Could someone tell me about EK route LGW-DXB with 777? How is the seats compared to QR? Used to fly QR but they dont seems to fly anymore from Gatwick?

Or should I fly from LHR with EK to get on the A380?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by usud
Could someone tell me about EK route LGW-DXB with 777? How is the seats compared to QR? Used to fly QR but they dont seems to fly anymore from Gatwick?

Or should I fly from LHR with EK to get on the A380?
May I ask which class you intend to travel?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
May I ask which class you intend to travel?
Thanks for your reply, Y
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:54 pm

Thanks for your reply, Y
I would make my decision based on ease of reaching LHR verses LGW and price differential. If both of these have not much to choose between them then I would opt for the A380, especially if you have not been on it before as at least you will be able to tick it off your list! In other words I would go a little further and spend a very small amount more for the experience . The comfort levels are reportedly similar and the cabin environment is undoubtedly quieter on the A380.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
I raised that question before but it has been unanswered:

Does anyone know why on the small boarding pass stub the Skywards is not printed (as opposed to the bigger stub)?

It was printed for some years before someone decided to leave it out. So the the crew should not see at boarding what status you have (pls dont tell me they have access to it through the purser's laptop)

What rationale is behind?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by GigoloArt
I raised that question before but it has been unanswered:

Does anyone know why on the small boarding pass stub the Skywards is not printed (as opposed to the bigger stub)?

It was printed for some years before someone decided to leave it out. So the the crew should not see at boarding what status you have (pls dont tell me they have access to it through the purser's laptop)

What rationale is behind?
Yeah I was wondering about the same thing on my last flight, after passing the gate and waiting for the boarding to commence, I looked at the small boarding pass stub and there was no Skywards number there, I wonder when they ask for golds/silvers to board 1st, how will they know who's who.

I just went for the boarding and told them I'm silver and they've let me in. Everybody can do that.

But to answer your Q, I think there is a list that shows what kind of member your are. They usually welcome golds onboard once they went to their seat.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:10 am

Smile

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
I would make my decision based on ease of reaching LHR verses LGW and price differential. If both of these have not much to choose between them then I would opt for the A380, especially if you have not been on it before as at least you will be able to tick it off your list! In other words I would go a little further and spend a very small amount more for the experience . The comfort levels are reportedly similar and the cabin environment is undoubtedly quieter on the A380.
Many thanks, LGW about 35mins driving from where I am and LHR is about double that

Anyway if as you say the A380 is much quieter than the 777 from LGW then I will go for it as I will be flying with my wife and son (1,5yrs) it will be his first flight experience So might go for it as I hope it would be less air pressure as well and less crying!

Is the A380 flying daily from LHR to DXB?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:32 pm

Is the A380 flying daily from LHR to DXB?
Twice daily - EK002 and EK004.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Twice daily - EK002 and EK004.
wow must be very busy?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Yeah I was wondering about the same thing on my last flight, after passing the gate and waiting for the boarding to commence, I looked at the small boarding pass stub and there was no Skywards number there, I wonder when they ask for golds/silvers to board 1st, how will they know who's who.

I just went for the boarding and told them I'm silver and they've let me in. Everybody can do that.

But to answer your Q, I think there is a list that shows what kind of member your are. They usually welcome golds onboard once they went to their seat.
I believe they can see the status on the passenger list during boarding and also in the pax manifest with the onboard purser.. Even if the details are written in the boarding pass, ideally they scan ur BP during boarding and if they pay attention and look at the screen and not only wait to hear the beep, they should be able to see your status there..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.