Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by hongkongtom
I registered for e-gate access on my gold card a year ago, but since then I have gone down to silver level. Do I need to go through all that registration process again? Or has my new silver card already automatically got my information stored in it to allow e-gate access? Am I best to use my current silver card or my old (expired) but registered gold card to get through Dubai immigration e-gates? By the way im not a UAE resident, I am a UK passport holder.
You'll need to re-register the new card - the new facility at T3 Arrivals after exiting is probably easiest. However, I think you may still be able to use the smart gates with just your passport as you should be registered on the system already.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by m27
does anyone know if the refer a friend bonus is still on? appears to be, but the T&Cs state it's valid until 23.59 on the last day of a promotion, but i don't see a mention of dates anywhere.

thanks

http://www.emirates.com/account/uk/e...end/index.aspx
It is still on, you'll get 1500 for Eco, 2500 for Biz and 4000 for First. Credited when the "friend" finished his first flight.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Skywards
Hi all,

I'm getting married next year That's why I'm now saving all my skywards miles to buy an upgrade of our flight to the Maldives right after the marriage.
However, for my work I only fly economy 4 or 5 times a year from Amsterdam to Asia.
I can maybe save the miles for an upgrade ams-dxb only (32000)
What is wise to do now? Book the businessclass ticket for my wife separately? And what is the best time to book this normally for the cheapest price?
Or does emirates has a relatively cheap buying program once in a while to buy miles?

Many thanks all!!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Krisflyer Silver
Am holding on to QF Gold and EK Silver. Wanted to change FFP at check in but was told by the check in staff it is not allowed? Anyone had similar experience? Am waiting for their official reply to my email.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by Ivooss
Hi all,

I'm getting married next year That's why I'm now saving all my skywards miles to buy an upgrade of our flight to the Maldives right after the marriage.
However, for my work I only fly economy 4 or 5 times a year from Amsterdam to Asia.
What is wise to do now? Book the businessclass ticket for my wife separately? And what is the best time to book this normally for the cheapest price?
Or does emirates has a relatively cheap buying program once in a while to buy miles?

Many thanks all!!
Buying a Biz for wife and economy for you and relying on upgrade seats being available when you have the miles is risky as your upgrade may not be possible even if you have the miles.

I have never seen a sale price for miles purchases being offered by Emirates but others may have.

As to when you buy your tickets I would say that in my experience prices only ever seem to go up the closer to departure you get (especially to popular destinations like Maldives but you may get lucky with a sale between now and then. If you bought bought the tickets and then you saw a price much lower closer to the time and you had bought the tickets then you could do a calculation to see if it was worth paying the cancellation fees applicable to your tickets and re-buying cheaper ones.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Ivooss - you would be well advised to take note of comments there by mrtdxb, they are based on experience/reality.

Unfortunately, there's no way you can guarantee that upgrading by miles will be offered on any specific flight, and the harsh reality is that paying for two normal fare J class tickets is the only way to be sure of you both travelling together in business class.

Emirates can often be very tight when it comes to releasing upgrade inventory, even for flights/routes where you might expect things to be straightforward. Their sophisticated yield management systems (in common with many carriers) is something of a dark art and is not designed to coincide with their passengers' personal plans. Many regulars on here, with many thousands of miles in their account, have bemoaned the difficulty they can encounter in trying to spend them in the way they would want to do so.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: EY Plat, EK Plat, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond
EK status flying Qantas metal on qantas ticket

Hi there,

I am looking at trying out Qantas Premium Eco to the UK, I have heard good things about the seat on the A380 and would like an alternative to paying for a great J seat or getting Y, they have some decent priced sales at the moment as well.

As its premium eco I understand I can't purchase via EK, its going to be a one way flight DXB-LHR I have platinum status on EK and my partner flying with me has Gold EK status. We both also have blue status on BA (was Gold but after a soft landing to silver I am now just a lowly blue)

If we both use our EK Flyer number on the flight I understand we will get:

- Business class checkin at DXB
- Lounge Access at DXB - I assume we would have access to F lounge still via me guesting in? although J lounge is not an issue...
- Miles will be added to EK but not tier miles

Is this correct?

And if we were to use our BA Flyer number on the flight I understand we would get none of the above and the EK status would mean nothing. But would get BA miles.

Thanks

Dubaiblue

Dubaiblue
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dubaiblue
And if we were to use our BA Flyer number on the flight I understand we would get none of the above and the EK status would mean nothing. But would get BA miles.
I can definitely vouch for that. Not sure why you would like to do that unless top status with BA?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada
I can definitely vouch for that. Not sure why you would like to do that unless top status with BA?
Thanks for confirming, and yes I have just renewed plat and already have enough booked to renew again that I thought topping up a one world account would be an option.

But lounge and check-in are more important so I'll go with Emirates.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:32 am

Thanks for confirming, and yes I have just renewed plat and already have enough booked to renew again
If you are Plat, why not use the F lounge?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:40 am

If you are Plat, why not use the F lounge?
If I use my EK status on the Qantas flight then yes I will use F lounge - I mentioned that in the Original post. The question was if I could use the F lounge and get BA points, which you confirmed would not happen.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:46 am

If I use my EK status on the Qantas flight then yes I will use F lounge - I mentioned that in the Original post. The question was if I could use the F lounge and get BA points, which you confirmed would not happen.
- Business class checkin at DXB
Sorry missed that for Business class check-in. You can use F check-in, right?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:57 pm

Sorry missed that for Business class check-in. You can use F check-in, right?
Yes your right, sorry I when I wrote that I was referring to the business/first check in building in DXB compared to the economy building!

Such an easy experience to get through immigration, security and if no luggage and a mobile boarding pass - even better
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Ivooss
Hi all,

Many thanks all!!
I have never seen skywards miles on sale before but if you have a spg account then spg points are frequently on sale. You get a bonus of 5k miles for each 20k spg points that you transfer to skywards (I.e 20000 starpoints=25000 skywards)

Though its nicer to 'earn' them via credit card joining bonus etc , its still cheaper to buy starpoints and then transfer them to skywards (during a sale).It takes a few days for the transfer to go through though .
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:21 am

I have 15000 orphan skywards miles just sitting around about to expire in a few months - and i have no plans on flying through dubai anytime soon.

Are those 15k miles worth anything at all? I fly out of Seattle.

Someone suggested to me to try on JetBlue - is that a good option? Emirates site is very opaque about partner awards. Where do I find potential availability on partners and the mileage needed. I doubt 15k miles is good for anything but wanted to confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.