Wiki Posts
Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by Ivooss
Hi all,

I'm getting married next year That's why I'm now saving all my skywards miles to buy an upgrade of our flight to the Maldives right after the marriage.
However, for my work I only fly economy 4 or 5 times a year from Amsterdam to Asia.
I can maybe save the miles for an upgrade ams-dxb only (32000)
What is wise to do now? Book the businessclass ticket for my wife separately? And what is the best time to book this normally for the cheapest price?
Or does emirates has a relatively cheap buying program once in a while to buy miles?

Many thanks all!!
Not sure when you are planning your trip but BA have stopped fligts to MLE in the European summer which reduces options and makes the chances of fares decreasing even less. I think opportunities for mileage upgrades will be few.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Why does the Skywards calculator tell me I need more miles to fly one-way from MEL to KHI, than from KHI to MEL?

I am looking at booking a Skywards Flex One-way booking in J.

For KHI to MEL it's telling me I need: 110,000 (this is correct as I have booked recently at this rate).

From MEL to KHI it calculates it as 144,500 in J.

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered/discussed.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by noamaan

Are those 15k miles worth anything at all? I fly out of Seattle.
while not the best option value wise, buying something from their online site is better than letting it go waste @:-)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Is the "flex" fare bucket on ExpertFlyer correct? It looks like 62,500 miles for excellent availability JFK-MXP?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:45 am

Have EK stopped their alliance with Bangkok Air? I'm trying to book a ticket to USM (Koh Samui) but it just keeps giving me an error no matter what dates I try. We've booked the same flights a number of times before direct through EK. This will be a huge shame as booking separately with Bangkok Air is a) way more expensive and b) means you have to leave enough time in BKK in case of delays of flight etc I would've thought the flights to the Thai islands would've been very popular

I called the call centre who told me they do still have the alliance but there was no availability on the BKK -USM flights for any dates I suggested which seems as though there may be an issue.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
After 4 years as a Gold, I won't renew anymore. I moved from Asia to South America, so obviously not much EK flying. My Gold expires in January.

Now the conundrum. My Skywards cards say "Valid until March 2015". I have a flight in February. Will I get Gold privileges, or just silver? In other words, do you get tier benefits for a couple of months longer than the review period, even if you don't renew?

The call center wasn't much help. She said the printed date is the validity of my e-Gate access. But the same date is on the luggage tags, which have nothing to do with e-Gate.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Turicus
After 4 years as a Gold, I won't renew anymore. I moved from Asia to South America, so obviously not much EK flying. My Gold expires in January.

Now the conundrum. My Skywards cards say "Valid until March 2015". I have a flight in February. Will I get Gold privileges, or just silver? In other words, do you get tier benefits for a couple of months longer than the review period, even if you don't renew?

The call center wasn't much help. She said the printed date is the validity of my e-Gate access. But the same date is on the luggage tags, which have nothing to do with e-Gate.
The privileges last for two months after the renewal date - you'll have gold privileges for your February flight.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
The privileges last for two months after the renewal date - you'll have gold privileges for your February flight.
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:31 pm

EK F JFK<>DXB is wide open for awards. I checked random dates in Apr/May and every day had two seats available in F.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hello everyone.
Emirates are doing my head in !!
Booked flights on the Brazilian expedia (as you do !)
I knew full well I was buying Emirates Operated flights (EK metal) and it indicated so on the website.
Flights show up on the receipt / email confirmation from Expedia as QF8002 (etc..)
I used the Emirates website to manage my booking, not needing to go anywhere near the Qantas site.
Boarding passes showed the EK number (EK002) not the QF number.
Credited to Skywards, will I get Miles & Tier Points or just Miles ?
Confused :-(

Thanks in advance of your time & assistance.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:31 am

Hi all - I have a skywards query hopefully someone could help me with. my wife and i both have 16k points. We intend using them before they expire in 2016 to book tickets to see a football match in Madrid.

The question is does anyone know if we can book the tickets via the call centre together even though we have separate membership numbers or would be better logging in online and buying 1 ticket each to our selected match?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:28 pm

Tier Miles (Newbie) question

Guys / Gals, I am considering switching from United Airlines to Emirates as the former's new mileage program has gone from so-so to absolute garbage. Now looking around at other airline programs and am considering Emirates. However before I take the plunge and book my first flight, i need to know the policy about tier mileage qualification through partner airlines.

"does flights through partner airlines count towards status qualification?"

I don't see many domestic US flight options through Emirates so if they don't count them, then this could be a deal breaker for me.

thanks for your insight!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by ryuryubu
Guys / Gals, I am considering switching from United Airlines to Emirates as the former's new mileage program has gone from so-so to absolute garbage. Now looking around at other airline programs and am considering Emirates. However before I take the plunge and book my first flight, i need to know the policy about tier mileage qualification through partner airlines.

"does flights through partner airlines count towards status qualification?"

I don't see many domestic US flight options through Emirates so if they don't count them, then this could be a deal breaker for me.

thanks for your insight!
Tier miles in the Skywards programme are not earned on flights with partner airlines as far as I am aware.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
ryuryubu - I believe mrtdxb is correct, and that you will earn tier miles on EK operated flights ONLY.

But, even setting that aside, I couldn't in all honesty encourage you to join Emirates Skywards with the notion that it will somehow open up a whole new world after your disenchantment with the United programme.

As a member you will get lots of emails from Emirates extolling the benefits of the scheme - but it can be a different story altogether when it comes to securing award/upgrade availability on the flights & dates YOU want, as opposed to those the airline wants (and then there's the rather quaintly-named "carrier-imposed charges" of course ..... )
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Tier miles in the Skywards programme are not earned on flights with partner airlines as far as I am aware.
I believe the only exception may be Qantas, where you'll earn tier miles if your flight is EK numbered...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.