Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:51 am

Hello,
On the DXB-HYD segment of my journey, I tried to upgrade my son with my mothers miles... Online the process worked, but no seats were available, and in Houston they told me it had to be done in Dubai. In Dubai, everyone said it wasn't possible because my mother wasn't travelling with us. They said even if we had her card or online password shed still have to be travelling with us for the upgrade to work. So I'm hoping that ill be to upgrade with her miles on Saturday when I'm flying back HYD-DXB on ek525. No upgrade seats are currently available. Does anyone know if T-24 reservations can release any seats for upgrade? I was upset because reservations told me the DXB airport staff could upgrade someone it's miles even if they're using someone else's thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
From what I know, if upgrading at check-in, then the person from whose account the miles are being deducted needs to be either traveling or physically present (with his Skywards card) in order to process the upgrade. If doing it earlier either online or through the call center, then this is not required and the person upgrading can simply log into his account and process the upgrade.

Upgrade seats can be released but only for status holder pax. See the last post here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...does-work.html
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:17 am

EK525

Thanks for the info.
Can anyone what my chances are of getting a reward upgrade to J BEFORE CHECK IN (online or call center) on EK525 from HYD to DXB this Sunday, 3/23?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by iluvairlines
Can anyone what my chances are of getting a reward upgrade to J BEFORE CHECK IN (online or call center) on EK525 from HYD to DXB this Sunday, 3/23?
Not too high, but you never know. Y is sold out and J is getting close to full. F seems unsold - looks like there are going to be quite a few op-ups Y-J.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:24 am

But if they are going to do op ups do you think I have a good shot at one? I'm not sure how elite heavy HYD-DXB is... I'm a blue member and surname begins with "A"...???

Also wouldn't EK rather do mileage upgrade rewards than opups
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Well I guess there's always a chance. You just have to hope there are no IO, Plat, Gold or Silver pax ahead of you in the pecking order .....!!

I think the myth of the surname 'prioritisation' has been exploded many times, based purely on various experiences recounted here on the forum (and that's just a limited selection of flyers of course, when all said & done)

As for miles......would you not in all honesty want to save them for a longer flight where a premium cabin would be of more substantial benefit, ie rather than a pretty short sector of just 3 or 4 hours .....??
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
From what I know, if upgrading at check-in, then the person from whose account the miles are being deducted needs to be either traveling or physically present (with his Skywards card) in order to process the upgrade. If doing it earlier either online or through the call center, then this is not required and the person upgrading can simply log into his account and process the upgrade.
As I posted a while back my wife could not upgrade her sister at check in even though both were physically present and wife had Skywards card in hand - reason given was that "you need to be travelling with whoever you upgrade". In other words it is not "either or" it is "and" if you upgrade at check in - at least at that moment in time it was.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: EK Gold
Another one from me.

At the minute, I require 12,500 additional Tier Miles by 30 September 2014 to reach Gold. If I take a flight in May / June somewhere for example, that gave say 9,000 miles, does the date change and I will have until June 2015 to get the remaining amount of miles for gold or do I simply lose the chance to get gold if I dont get them all by September 2014?

Thanks as always.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by RichL
Another one from me.

At the minute, I require 12,500 additional Tier Miles by 30 September 2014 to reach Gold. If I take a flight in May / June somewhere for example, that gave say 9,000 miles, does the date change and I will have until June 2015 to get the remaining amount of miles for gold or do I simply lose the chance to get gold if I dont get them all by September 2014?

Thanks as always.
Qualification to the next higher tier is on a rolling 13 month basis. Whenever you accrue any tier miles, the system will look back the past 13 months to see if you have the required tier miles to qualify for gold or not. So when you do the trip in May/ June and accrue 9,000 miles, the system will look back the past 13 months to see if you have accrued 50K tier miles. If not, you don't reach gold then and the system will check again whenever you accrue tier miles next. Note that it will check back only 13 months prior so the later you accrue the tier miles, the miles that you accrued previously will fail to count to your tier qualification level.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: EK Gold
Gotcha, thank you for that explanation.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Qualification to the next higher tier is on a rolling 13 month basis. Whenever you accrue any tier miles, the system will look back the past 13 months to see if you have the required tier miles to qualify for gold or not. So when you do the trip in May/ June and accrue 9,000 miles, the system will look back the past 13 months to see if you have accrued 50K tier miles. If not, you don't reach gold then and the system will check again whenever you accrue tier miles next. Note that it will check back only 13 months prior so the later you accrue the tier miles, the miles that you accrued previously will fail to count to your tier qualification level.
Do tier miles still reset to zero on the requalification date?I have never bothered checking before as I always managed to get 60-70k miles yearly without any issues.
I am supposed to need 10k odd miles to renew gold by 31st May.My next flight (after the one tomorrow)is in Mid June and would give me 13k. If my tier miles reset to zero at end of May then it looks like I'm going to go down to silver and lose gold status .
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Do tier miles still reset to zero on the requalification date?
Only if you manage to maintain your status - BTW, those will still still count if you want to aim for the next higher tier, Platinum.

You'll again hit Gold id June!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Do tier miles still reset to zero on the requalification date?I have never bothered checking before as I always managed to get 60-70k miles yearly without any issues.
I am supposed to need 10k odd miles to renew gold by 31st May.My next flight (after the one tomorrow)is in Mid June and would give me 13k. If my tier miles reset to zero at end of May then it looks like I'm going to go down to silver and lose gold status .
If you fail to requalify in the review period, you'll have two months after the review period to carry on at that status - if you check your account after the review date, it will say Sorry you failed blah blah, but go to the statement page and the rolling monthly calendar will still show your previous tier miles for rolling qualification purposes - so, in this case if you get the required miles you will most likely not lose Gold at all!
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:19 pm

so let me get this straight, there is no grace period to achive Platinum ? like you have for the gold> 13-14months from last review?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Dear fellow FTers, ambassadors and lurker.
I would like to fly EK F DXB-LHR which should be 85K. Are there any partners I can transfer into EK to get this, or any partners I can use to book EK F direct. I know AS wont work, as they only allow bookings to/from USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.