Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Foreign airline crews not spending nights in Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign airline crews not spending nights in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
hopefully the "war", if it is a war, they are debating this to death in the knesset... oy.
will be over shortly, I don't see it lasting more than into mid august.

I was alarmed at finding out the load factor on CO's flights to TLV is around 50%, that's just bad, they are probably still making money.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by salut0
Surely it would be "ach sheli" if a person was talking about their own friends, no? Or does this only get used by people referring to their friend's friend?
I think that's my confusion...I'm trying to undestand whether there's some 'other' meaning beyond "his brother" in the most conventional sense.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by entropy
I was alarmed at finding out the load factor on CO's flights to TLV is around 50%, that's just bad, they are probably still making money.
...which is why I'm perplexed that biz fares haven't come down at all. I don't know what data you're looking at entropy, but does it indicate whether they're filling up the front of the plane?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
Surely it would be "ach sheli" if a person was talking about their own friends, no? Or does this only get used by people referring to their friend's friend?
Don't look for any logic because there is not any logic behind this. People call each other "Ach Shelo". Fathers to sons, sons to fathers, friends to friends, strangers to strangers. It's just like saying "waste of time" ( חבל על הזמן ) on something that is highly recommended - something that has been very common in sleng Hebrew for quite a while.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apirchik
Don't look for any logic because there is not any logic behind this. People call each other "Ach Shelo". Fathers to sons, sons to fathers, friends to friends, strangers to strangers. It's just like saying "waste of time" ( חבל על הזמן ) on something that is highly recommended - something that has been very common in sleng Hebrew for quite a while.
Love it.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...which is why I'm perplexed that biz fares haven't come down at all. I don't know what data you're looking at entropy, but does it indicate whether they're filling up the front of the plane?
The CO 90's we looked at (via SHARES) were 50% booked in both J and Y (~22/48 and 131/235)
Old Jul 25, 2006, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

The CO 90's we looked at (via SHARES) were 50% booked in both J and Y (~22/48 and 131/235)
I don't know what SHARES is, but this is realllly perplexing. They had J fares in the mid $2000s last year, albeit only on specific flights on certain days.

I guess it goes back to what Dov (?) said, which is that they don't think lowering prices will attract any more business, so why cut your margins.

Still, there ARE people flying. You'd think they'd at least compete for those who ARE still flying on LH, LY or whatever, paying their $3800+ for J. Cut it to $3000 and you'd think they'd pick some biz up.

I know, don't argue with revenue management. They know what they're doing.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SHARES is CO's mainframe system. When agents are on their command line, it is in SHARES. on GDS I can look up fare buckets, reservations, etc... but SHARES you can see everything, how many seats of each bucket are sold, etc.

I don't think they should cut prices, because its not a $$$ demand thing. Its a jewish mother thing... though they do have a lot of standard seats available for rewards, which makes sense. If they didn't have full flights going TLV-EWR, they might be inclined to do MR's with nothing but the stopover in TLV....
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

I don't think they should cut prices, because its not a $$$ demand thing. Its a jewish mother thing...
I hear you. Again, though, there are competitors on the route. I would think that it would be a good a time as any to try and woo some of them over.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:56 pm
jez

Prices from BRU to TLV (with LY or SN) seem to have dropped as well. It is unusually low for the summer - a RTN ticket for approx 440 Euros tax incl. I wonder when we'll see these kind of prices from the U.S. That's when I'll start flying on a monthly basis - hezbollah or not!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
FYI I just took IB flight from MAD to TLV last night and the IB crew overnights in ATH on the way to TLV. Then the fresh crew does ATH-TLV and immediately TLV-MAD.

BTW first time in my life I was questioned by three immigration people due to my Lebanese stamp on my passport from this January. I was also questioned why I would come to TLV when there is a war over here. I really didn't feel welcomed.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holtju2
FYI I just took IB flight from MAD to TLV last night and the IB crew overnights in ATH on the way to TLV. Then the fresh crew does ATH-TLV and immediately TLV-MAD.

BTW first time in my life I was questioned by three immigration people due to my Lebanese stamp on my passport from this January. I was also questioned why I would come to TLV when there is a war over here. I really didn't feel welcomed.
The Israeli immigration people asked you why you'd visit while there was a war going on? Nice.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:33 pm

The police officers at immigration are not well known for their great intelligence
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:38 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by holtju2
I was also questioned why I would come to TLV when there is a war over here. I really didn't feel welcomed.
Welcome to Israel!

So why did you come if there is a war going on?

We were out to dinner this evening in Tel Aviv. Hard to beleive that this is a country at war with all the people on the beach and clubbing.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Welcome to Israel!

So why did you come if there is a war going on?

We were out to dinner this evening in Tel Aviv. Hard to beleive that this is a country at war with all the people on the beach and clubbing.
Thanks!

I replied to the guy that I had NOT seen any missiles hitting TLV on CNN.

But IMHO the immigration guy was out of control. It does not make me a terrorist if I had visited BEY in January (I had really nice gay time there and lots of xxx). Questioning if I had plans to visit Syria in the future was purely academic I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.