Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Foreign airline crews not spending nights in Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign airline crews not spending nights in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
For a very long time AZ did not allow its crews to spend overnight in TLV.

A flight from MXP would go to LCA, switch crews, take off again and continue on to TLV. It would then take off with the new crew for the return trip.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by clubman
I think this goes without saying.
If missiles start flying over Central Israel, I don't think any planes will be taking off from TLV including LY's.

I wouldn't have any fear of missiles flying over central Israel. (Unless someone has a death wish!) I agree that crews need to strengthen their spines! There are more dangerous places than Tel Aviv--some of them are here in the US!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
There are more dangerous places than Tel Aviv--some of them are here in the US!
Indeed
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:07 am

LCA is either too crouded or too boring. AF 1621 today stops in Paphos, Cyprus!

Last edited by apirchik; Jul 20, 2006 at 11:18 am Reason: Paphos is in Cyprus, not Greece
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:16 am
jez

I remember taking a flight a while ago (maybe 4 years or so) from LHR to TLV with BA. I didn't know there would be a stop-over in LCA until I arrived at the airport. Do airline _have_ to mention their stop-over even though passengers are not allowed to get out?

Originally Posted by apirchik
LCA is either too crouded or too boring. AF 1621 today stops in Paphos, Greece!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
probably not, if its a tech-stop
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Paphos, Greece!
Paphos, in Greece???
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Paphos, in Greece???
Ooops - Paphos is indeed in Cyprus, not Greece.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Ooops - Paphos is indeed in Cyprus, not Greece.
Yas indeed, last time I drove through there, it was still in Cyprus
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I wouldn't have any fear of missiles flying over central Israel. (Unless someone has a death wish!) I agree that crews need to strengthen their spines! There are more dangerous places than Tel Aviv--some of them are here in the US!
Its still better then the Carriers Cancelling the flights Out-right
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by craz
Which is what I'm more concerned about. I'm not sure if anyone read the second story I posted, but this notion that their insurance might not cover them is more disconcerting to me.

I've got a trip coming up for work that might demand I take another carrier. I naturally hope this is all resolved, but if not, I'm also worried that I could wind up on one whose insurance tries to shut down their TLV service.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Which is what I'm more concerned about. I'm not sure if anyone read the second story I posted, but this notion that their insurance might not cover them is more disconcerting to me.

I've got a trip coming up for work that might demand I take another carrier. I naturally hope this is all resolved, but if not, I'm also worried that I could wind up on one whose insurance tries to shut down their TLV service.
When Everyone in the past had their Insurance Cancelled Covering them into/out-of TLV it was LY alone that still flew.The Govt stepped up to the plate.

So if You are really that concerned then either book your trip on LY, or if LY doesnt serve your final destination then Book LY to Europe with a connecting flight on a Carrier that does serve the City you need to fly to.

I would imagine that Israir will also continue to fly as it is also an Israeli Carrier , so the govt will step in and provide the assurances for both ElAl and Israir, probably Arkia as well
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:35 pm
jez

Continental put out a travel notice on their website regarding flights to TLV. Anyone with a ticket leaving between July 17 and 31 can cancel/modify etc.. without incurring any penalties.

For more info: http://www.continental.com/company/travelnotices.asp

Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by jez
Continental put out a travel notice on their website regarding flights to TLV. Anyone with a ticket leaving between July 17 and 31 can cancel/modify etc.. without incurring any penalties.

For more info: http://www.continental.com/company/travelnotices.asp
You can change your travel plans if you want but the airline keeps flying in full capacity.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
When Everyone in the past had their Insurance Cancelled Covering them into/out-of TLV it was LY alone that still flew.The Govt stepped up to the plate.

So if You are really that concerned then either book your trip on LY, or if LY doesnt serve your final destination then Book LY to Europe with a connecting flight on a Carrier that does serve the City you need to fly to.

I would imagine that Israir will also continue to fly as it is also an Israeli Carrier , so the govt will step in and provide the assurances for both ElAl and Israir, probably Arkia as well
I should have been more clear. I live in the US and have to travel to TLV.

The trickiest problem, believe it or not, is that in order to fly in biz, I may have to let my colleague purchase one of those buy-one-get-one tickets with his Platinum Amex. I don't know what the policy is about (he's in a different part of my company), but if I have to do that it will be with one of the Amex partner airlines.

I'm hoping to get a better deal with LY and see if I can convince them to let us fly that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.