EL AL 787 Master Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LatusElAl
Had my first experience with the LY 789 and here are my impressions:
- Cramped. No other way to put it. The whole ac just felt cramped. Tight aisles and spaces. Just cramped, almost claustrophobic.
- The closets for hanging stuff in the front are short....typical garment bag won't hang straight.
- Bathrooms actually slightly wider/bigger than the 777. Also liked the sensor flush and faucet - less germy stuff to touch.
- IFE - finally a decent and industry standard offering from LY. Yes, you can binge watch an entire season of The Good Wife or House of Cards.
- I sat in Premium Economy. Its pretty much comparable to what the American carriers call F on their domestic routes. Seat is wider. Reclines a bit farther. There is a leg rest but it doesn't really do the trick. The meal service is a notch below what LY do in 777 C (menu, non-paper dishes, choice of 3 entrees, wine selection). With all that was unimpressed that the wine they did serve was poured into plastic cups - of all the places to go cheap. The FA attention was similar to economy (nobody home) as opposed to business (jump at every beck and call). Good blanket (same as the 777 C blanket from Hollandia).
- Took a walk into C - looks just like US and DL. I know there is lots of personal space and privacy, but the overall cabin feel is just cramped, cramped, cramped. Ugh. I hear lots of LY FF's have been complaining that the C seat is too tight. Are LY flyers fatter than most?
- Also took a walk down to Y - whoever it was that said "they took the meat off the bone" hit the nail on the head. Pax packed in like sardines. Really narrow aisles with 9 across.
I don't know.....I was expecting more from this plane. A bit disappointed. But I suppose can't blame LY for this one. Its the industry.
I havent been on LYs 787, but Ive flown on a few and if I removed any mention on LY or ElAl from your post it could be about any of the other 787s Ive flown on.

As for Y Boeing had suggested an 8 across config , everyone I know of went with 9 across. Heck UA is going 3-4-3 on all its 777s as are many others.

So LY I would assume is no worse then the others, maybe you or others were expecting a luxury config, yet the Airlines are going in the opposite direction, except for maybe the Biz cabin

Persoanlly due to UAs 3-4-3 I wont fly the 90/91 combo and the 772s (CO metal) will start going in to be redone so once they start in with 3-4-3 thats the end of my flying UA. On my 11/7 return to EWR Im staying in SFO (connecting) an extra hour to avoid a 3-4-3 Y cabin
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ly787
I actually think it was presented by Airbus for a 340/330 deal
LHs 340-600 has its Y lavs all downstairs, so having a room for any usage isnt a problem
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
My cousins returned from the USA to Israel this week on the new 787 in business class and told me how disappointed they were with it. For all they hype, they found it extremely cramped (and they are not particularly tall or wide people either). They felt it was another missed opportunity for EL AL ...

Last edited by mikebg; Nov 21, 2017 at 5:13 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by mikebg
My cousins returned from the USA to Israel this week on the new 787 and told me how disappointed they were with it. For all they hype, they found it extremely cramped (and they are not particularly tall or wide people either). They felt it was another missed opportunity for EL AL ...
Do you know what cabin they were in?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Dovster
Do you know what cabin they were in?
Oops. I forgot that! They were in business class, now corrected.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
LY couldn't do better than this 1-2-1 config
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by LY777
LY couldn't do better than this 1-2-1 config
yeah its basically the same as Continental's Polaris.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by entropy
yeah its basically the same as Continental's Polaris.
except it isnt. The seats ELAL uses were not designed to be deployed this way. The are not equally accessible from both sides. Even row number window seats have the "bulkhead" to the aisle, but the actual width of the space to get into the seat is so narrow that even a small person needs to get in sideways.flown on it now three times. Row 9 - (first row) window seats are the best seats (imo) in the cabin. Odd row window seats, have sufficient room to enter the seat, but have open space around your head facing the aisle, which has proven to be disturbing.

Also passenger to bathroom ratio is horrendous. 1 bathroom in front, for 32 passengers, plus 4 pilots/first officers crew. There are two more bathrooms behind the first class cabin shared with the economy plus section (24 more seats), and more crew. On the overnight flights I'd suggest waking up extra early to get in, the wait can be an hour.

There's more, always is with LY. Paraphrasing Abba Eban - never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Well, I have now traveled in all 3 classes of LY's 787
Business:
Lots of privacy (except if your solo on the odd-row middle - then its not private at all, but worse than the 777/747) but extremely cramped. Its almost like lying in an MRI for 10 hours.
Premium Economy:
Comparable to BA, but IMHO not worth the price above regular coach if you also want to get full status points for the flight. Slightly more legroom than Y, maybe 1/2 inch wider in the seat. My personal beef: serving fine wine in plastic cups is cheap and a stupid way to differentiate between P and C.
Economy:
Tighter than the other aircraft. Nowhere to move. Sitting in the aisle is a downright hazard with FA's and carts bumping into you all the time.
General:
The only thing good about this AC is the entertainment system - but don't worry - LY probably won't update the content for about 3 years, so this too will suck soon.
No wifi. Excuses, excuses. Everybody has wifi these days. Its a brand new ac. Where is the wifi?
Bottom line: LY's "Dreamliner" is a HUGE disappointment. Much rather fly the 777 - just upgrade the VOD.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Unhappy

Well, I have now traveled in all 3 classes of LY's 787
Business:
Lots of privacy (except if your solo on the odd-row middle - then its not private at all, but worse than the 777/747) but extremely cramped. Its almost like lying in an MRI for 10 hours.
Premium Economy:
Comparable to BA, but IMHO not worth the price above regular coach if you also want to get full status points for the flight. Slightly more legroom than Y, maybe 1/2 inch wider in the seat. My personal beef: serving fine wine in plastic cups is cheap and a stupid way to differentiate between P and C.
Economy:
Tighter than the other aircraft. Nowhere to move. Sitting in the aisle is a downright hazard with FA's and carts bumping into you all the time.
General:
The only thing good about this AC is the entertainment system - but don't worry - LY probably won't update the content for about 3 years, so this too will suck soon.
No wifi. Excuses, excuses. Everybody has wifi these days. Its a brand new ac. Where is the wifi?
Bottom line: LY's "Dreamliner" is a HUGE disappointment. Much rather fly the 777 - just upgrade the VOD.
Flying on board next week in J, so I am now semi-looking forward to the flight. Shame about wifi as you expect the Israelis are at the forefront of technology so something as easy as onbard wifi is on thB789.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Premium Economy:
While certainly a proper PE product (compared to the old one) not sure it sounds entirely, it doesn't sound like it's entirely comparable to BA's WTP to be honest. BA has an extra inch in space and feels more than just slightly more legroom than Y, and you definitely get proper glassware not plastic. I don't know about LY's but WTP's latest seats are incredibly comfortable too. What about the meal in LY's PE? Is it standard Economy or better?

Economy:
Tighter than the other aircraft. Nowhere to move
Yep, that's a common problem on all airlines 787s unfortunately.

Bottom line: LY's "Dreamliner" is a HUGE disappointment. Much rather fly the 777 - just upgrade the VOD
Assume you mean just in Y...?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by clubman
Assume you mean just in Y...?
Nope. Even in C. Give me the VOD of the 787 in the seat and space of the 777. The latter may not have all-aisle access - and the former's seat may be slightly more comfortable - but the cramped nature of the 787 C seat/space just kills the whole thing.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
So you prefer LY's old and dated biz product over the new one? Ouch...
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
How many 787 are in LY fleet today? Is there a delivery timeline which one can follow/see?
Thank you
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysmisc
How many 787 are in LY fleet today? Is there a delivery timeline which one can follow/see?
Thank you
2 at the moment, 7 more next year, followed by a further 14 in 2019. I'm not sure of the exact schedule.

I'm wondering how the engine issues are going to effect their schedule though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.