Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

AA to start MIA-TLV and JFK-TLV (maybe LY too)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to start MIA-TLV and JFK-TLV (maybe LY too)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by ELY001
Unless they are already US Passport holders, Central and South American pax have a difficult time transiting through the United States to onward destinations as a consequence of the 9/11 attacks and TSA regulations. Therefore, these pax tend to transit through Europe. IB has been particularly successful transiting these pax through their hub at MAD.
I assume that you mean those without US passports who do not already US visas or residency, not simply those who do not have US passports. Yes, that is a problem; one which I have little hope of the USG becomming enlightened about.

Nonetheless, there are a large number of people who do already have US visas. Additionally, there are also a number of people in Central and South America (as well as Mexico and the Carribean) who hold varrious EU or other passports not requiring a US visa.

IB has indeed benefited from ex-South America traffic as a result of US immigration policy. So to have BA, AF/KL, AM and others.

I still, however, stand by my prediction that AA would be more succesful at getting traffic transiting the US (from other than Canada) to Israel than US has been able to do.

Any thoughts on the AA-RJ relationship over the US-AA relationship, especially with regards to LY?

Last edited by Indelaware; Apr 21, 2013 at 9:11 am
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Even if they "can" transit doesn't mean it's fun to do so. I'd much rather xfer in the EU any day, and I avoid Domestic US xfers like the plague when my final destination is *IN* the US even!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Indelaware
IB has indeed benefited from ex-South America traffic as a result of US immigration policy. So to have AA, AF/KL, AM and others.

I still, however, stand by my prediction that AA would be more succesful at getting traffic transiting the US (from other than Canada) to Israel than US has been able to do.

Any thoughts on the AA-RJ relationship over the US-AA relationship, especially with regards to LY?
Not sure how AA benefited from ex-South American traffic due to what was mentioned in previous posts on this thread but certainly the major European carriers have.

My thoughts on the AA-RJ relationship delve into the geo-political which I do not want to get into in this forum, but I do not see the AA-RJ relationship expanding as a consequence of, what I believe, will be a destabilization of Jordan in the near to mid term.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:11 am

Not sure how AA benefited from ex-South American traffic due to what was mentioned in previous posts on this thread but certainly the major European carriers have.
Sorry, typo. I ment BA, not AA. Fixed now.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: American, Continental, United
As it currently stands there is virtually NO connecting traffic through TLV on LY or any other airline. My idea is to develop such a market. I am not saying nor thinking that it could compete with Dubai, but it is a market that can and should be cultivated. The large O&D market between TLV and the far east coupled with a small and steadily growing east-west traffic (perhaps even a kangaroo route from TLV) would enable LY to increase frequencies and generate significantly more revenue than it does.
The challenge to building a hub at TLV is that most of the nearby countries won't allow LY to overfly their airspace. LY's routes to the Far East have to either go north over Turkey and back SE or down the Red Sea and around Saudi Arabia, rather than taking a direct route. This adds considerably to the flight time and therefore fuel costs. Can LY overcome that? Is there enough demand to overcome that? Heck, does LY want to overcome that?

Back to one of the earlier topics here, I imagine that US' PHL-TLV route is a goner one way or the other. Either AA will drop the route entirely (out of not wanting to pay up the TWA debt) or it will shift it to MIA as part of moving many of US' international routes out of PHL (since AA already has a hub in NYC, a much larger and more prestigious market that is within driving distance of PHL).
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:15 pm

How does the fact that EL AL cannot overly much of the Middle East on the way to the Far East inhibits their ability to create a hub at TLV in light of the fact that they already fly TLV-Far East routes, and those routes are profitable for the company? All LY would need to do is market east/west travel through TLV, actually allow such bookings to take place on their website, and reduce transit time in TLV by scheduling east/west flights accordingly. Adding fuel efficient a/c on these routes and restructuring EL AL's high operating costs would add to their profitability. If Emirates and Etihad can do it, so can EL AL even though EL AL has to fly around the Arabian Peninsula. But then again, these issues were discussed in previous posts and debated already.

As far as whether AA keeps the PHL-TLV route, I see no reason for them not to if it is profitable. They could add JFK and MIA in addition. It would not be wise for an airline to cut a profitable and popular route. The only logical reason for them to do so would be issues surrounding TWA's debts in TLV that AA refused to pay.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Very simple - why would I fly Europe-TLV-Far East when it's more expensive (because of the higher fuel costs) and much longer (because of not flying direct)?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:01 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Please keep this thread to the topic of AA route. Discussion of the viability of TLV as a hub are welcome in appropriate threads.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Moderator, EL AL forum
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:16 pm

Josh,

My response to your last comment can be found on the "EL AL Reconstitution Plan" thread.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
As the merger completed this morning, wonder if anyone has updates on the US TLV-PHL and whether it will now be scrapped due to the TWA liabilities issue, or if we are now de facto getting AA back to TLV, or even adding services (MIA, ORD, BOS, JFK)? As long as whatever there is gets included in the BA TATL joint business, I will be thrilled.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53)

There is no further information at this point.

We'll just have to wait and see...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Honestly, I wouldn't put it past Israeli authorities to not even realize what's flying and the implications.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by NJFlyGuy
The challenge to building a hub at TLV is that most of the nearby countries won't allow LY to overfly their airspace. LY's routes to the Far East have to either go north over Turkey and back SE or down the Red Sea and around Saudi Arabia, rather than taking a direct route. This adds considerably to the flight time and therefore fuel costs. Can LY overcome that? Is there enough demand to overcome that? Heck, does LY want to overcome that?

Back to one of the earlier topics here, I imagine that US' PHL-TLV route is a goner one way or the other. Either AA will drop the route entirely (out of not wanting to pay up the TWA debt) or it will shift it to MIA as part of moving many of US' international routes out of PHL (since AA already has a hub in NYC, a much larger and more prestigious market that is within driving distance of PHL).
This is also a challenge for SIN (on that side, as Changi's location makes it difficult, if not impossible to not overfly Malaysia or Indonesia, and neither of them will permit a SIN-TLV flight to fly over their airspace.)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:59 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I always wondered about this - is that the official policy? I once booked a Thai airlines flight from BKK - AKL that had a stop in Sydney and didn't say anything on the ticket about it. Couldn't they just do SIN-LCA with a stop in TLV and not actually fly the TLV-LCA part? (Assuming it was an airline other than LY)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by frb98mf
As the merger completed this morning, wonder if anyone has updates on the US TLV-PHL and whether it will now be scrapped due to the TWA liabilities issue, or if we are now de facto getting AA back to TLV, or even adding services (MIA, ORD, BOS, JFK)? As long as whatever there is gets included in the BA TATL joint business, I will be thrilled.
From a legal perspective, AA will still have to satisfy the Israeli court judgement pertaining to former TWA employees otherwise the a/c they fly to TLV could get impounded. The Israeli government, from a technical standpoint, could do nothing about that as the judiciary in Israel is independent and has exclusive domain over civil litigation and judgment matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.