Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

AA to start MIA-TLV and JFK-TLV (maybe LY too)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to start MIA-TLV and JFK-TLV (maybe LY too)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Unless they reach a payment plan with the government that allows them to pay it off over a nice period of time. However, if the government were to simply impound an aircraft and auction it off, how would the USA respond? It could jeopardize LY (as a reactionary move)
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Unless they reach a payment plan with the government that allows them to pay it off over a nice period of time. However, if the government were to simply impound an aircraft and auction it off, how would the USA respond? It could jeopardize LY (as a reactionary move)
This situation has nothing to do with governments or diplomacy. It is a private contracts based legal matter resolved in the civil Court of a sovereign nation (Israel). The United States government has no business and never has used its diplomatic clout to have the sovereign civil courts of another nation vacate a judgement, based on local contracts law, on behalf of a private American non-governmental enterprise.

Having the US government use its diplomatic clout in this situation would be akin to the Israeli government trying to use its diplomatic clout to force the vacation of a civil judgement against an Israeli company in the USA. Both scenarios will likely never happen and the results would be the same; nothing.

Which brings us back to the issue at hand. American Airlines needs to pay up what is owed to former TLV based TWA employees, as per the Israeli Court's judgement, or stop flying to TLV when their merger with US goes through.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Not true. The AA that will emerge from bankruptcy will be a different company than the pre-bankruptcy company having been reorganized under chapter 11 and post merger with US. Israeli courts can't randomly apply their laws to a different US entity just because it has the same name.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYTA
Not true. The AA that will emerge from bankruptcy will be a different company than the pre-bankruptcy company having been reorganized under chapter 11 and post merger with US. Israeli courts can't randomly apply their laws to a different US entity just because it has the same name.
Just watch them. Any Countrys Courts can do as they please. Just as the US FAA put TLV down to a Cat2 = LY cant add Destinations in the US. What does LY have to do with the Airport? And if it was so bad why didnt they stop US,DL & CO/UA from flying into/outof TLV?

The Israeli courts can do as they please. Now lets say you are 1000% correct. Then after all is said and done they will have to release any aircraft that might have been seized, but that can drag on for who knows how long, meanwhile they will have at least 1 plane sitting doing nothing. I highly doubt AA will want that, w/o a clear "no plane can be seized' bye bye to US/AA and TLV
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:42 am

I feel TLV with the new AA will all depend on how profitable the US PHL-TLV route is if it is as profitable as I am constantly hearing I can only see AA adding flights to TLV. Don't forget TWA was an asset purchase and not a merger even though the Israeli courts ruled it as one. Also with new managment running AA and Doug Parker has been keen on TLV even stating he wanted to add a second PHL-TLV flight. Time will tell what will happen with the new AA and TLV but I personally would not be surprise to see this go either way.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by craz
Just as the US FAA put TLV down to a Cat2 = LY cant add Destinations in the US. What does LY have to do with the Airport?
It was not the Tel Aviv airport that was downgraded to Category 2, it was the Israeli Civil Aviation Authority.

From the FAA Press Release:
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today changed Israel’s aviation safety standard rating to Category 2 following an assessment made last July of the country’s civil aviation authority. The rating is not related to security issues.

With a Category 2 rating given by the FAA’s International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) program, Israeli air carriers will not be allowed to establish new service to the United States. The civil aviation authority of Israel is addressing the items identified, including working with the FAA on an aggressive action plan to correct all areas of concern so that their safety oversight system fully complies with standards and practices set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

All countries with air carriers that fly to the United States must adhere to the safety standards of ICAO, the United Nations’ technical agency for aviation. ICAO establishes international standards and recommended practices for aircraft operations and maintenance.
And the IATA Press Release:
In December 2008 the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) downgraded Israel to Category 2 in its International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA). The IASA program focuses on a country's ability to adhere to international standards and recommended practices for aircraft operations and maintenance established by the United Nation's technical agency for aviation, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

<snip>

IATA noted that the shortcomings identified by the FAA’s IASA audit can only be fixed by the Government of Israel. “Safety is our top priority. El Al, Arkia, Israir and CAL are IATA members. As such, they are on the registry of the IATA Operational Safety Audit showing that they have met the highest international standards of safety. However, Israeli carriers that are unable to compete on a level playing field so long as the Government of Israel fails to rectify the shortcomings identified in the IASA audit. Fixing the legislative shortcomings affecting safety oversight should be Israel's highest aviation priority today.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
It was not the Tel Aviv airport that was downgraded to Category 2, it was the Israeli Civil Aviation Authority.

From the FAA Press Release:
And the IATA Press Release:
My pt was the US lowered the status of Israel, yet it didnt prevent DL,US,or CO/UA from flying into or out of TLV. Nor for LY to fly to/from the US.It did prevent LY from adding any more destinations in the US as long as ICAA was at a Cat 2. What does LY have to do wth the ICAA = just as The US can decide on its own what it deems the ICAA to be , Israel or Israeli Courts can also decdie how they see things that are done concerning US corps

Personally Id be very surprised if AA will be allowed to fly in w/o its plane being Held. Unless The Israeli Courts rule that anything AA can not be seize in order to pay off TWs re:AMRs debt that it left. Then even if the Courts say no seizure, why oh why do I feel that the Union will make sure the planes bags and cargo arent off loaded or done extremely slowly, etc etc etc

If I was US/AA the only way Id send a plane is if Everyone agreed no seizure or job action and The Israeli Courts backtracked on their call from yrs ago.That will only be done if theres an agreement on what is owed and payment is made. No agreement or payment say goodbye to the plane that lands there or is on the ground when US offically becomes AA
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Just watch them. Any Countrys Courts can do as they please. Just as the US FAA put TLV down to a Cat2 = LY cant add Destinations in the US. What does LY have to do with the Airport? And if it was so bad why didnt they stop US,DL & CO/UA from flying into/outof TLV?

The Israeli courts can do as they please. Now lets say you are 1000% correct. Then after all is said and done they will have to release any aircraft that might have been seized, but that can drag on for who knows how long, meanwhile they will have at least 1 plane sitting doing nothing. I highly doubt AA will want that, w/o a clear "no plane can be seized' bye bye to US/AA and TLV
Before an Israeli judge will rule to impound an aircraft there will be months if not years of court fights before it happens. Don't forget that in Israel, in order to sue for a large amount of money, the person suing has to put up 1.25% of the amount they are suing for before the court will hear their case. That's a pretty significant amount of cash if they are suing for enough money to try to impound a plane. Considering that US already has assets in the country, if I were them, and believed that I had a case, I'd sue US the day the deal closed with AA. But again, I don't think they have a case.

In the rare case that a judge orders the plane impounded, you can bet that it becomes a State Dept. issue and a phone call to Bibi from the ambassador immediately at which point it will likely be worked out on a diplomatic level.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:02 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

My pt was the US lowered the status of Israel, yet it didnt prevent DL,US,or CO/UA from flying into or out of TLV. Nor for LY to fly to/from the US.It did prevent LY from adding any more destinations in the US as long as ICAA was at a Cat 2. What does LY have to do wth the ICAA = just as The US can decide on its own what it deems the ICAA to be , Israel or Israeli Courts can also decdie how they see things that are done concerning US corps
The status has to do with oversight of airlines operations and maintenance by the Israeli Civil Aviation Authority. El Al is regulated by the ICAA, DL, US and CO/UA are not. That's why El Al's operations were affected by the Category 2 status and the American carriers were not.

As far as whether the new AA will fly to Israel, that question is best left for experts in International conflicts of law and Israel's recognition of foreign judgments.

Here are a couple of articles:
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:26 am
Suspended

The status has to do with oversight of airlines operations and maintenance by the Israeli Civil Aviation Authority. El Al is regulated by the ICAA, DL, US and CO/UA are not. That's why El Al's operations were affected by the Category 2 status and the American carriers were not.

As far as whether the new AA will fly to Israel, that question is best left for experts in International conflicts of law and Israel's recognition of foreign judgments.

Here are a couple of articles:
Well AA till now didnt fly in, I could be wrong but I imagine it didnt want its plane to be seized and have to wait as the case worked its way thru The Israeli Court system.

Im sure Dougie knows all about this and will decide if he wants to chance a seizure of a plane once US is AA, unless he gets something in writing that a plane wont be allowed to be seized. But he wont have any guarantees that the workers @ TLV wont imploy any actions on their own, if he gets such a guarantee and the Courts prevent any seizures then US/AA will contiue flying in.

Right now a Seizure Order for anything AA is still in affect, once AA took over TWA. So that would have to be thrown out, otherwise good-bye AA/US plane, unless The Courts say AA/TW yes, but US/AA/TW is different

But then The US can also say LY cant expand beyond where they fly to now on their metal.Which just might suit LY.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:08 pm

Right now a Seizure Order for anything AA is still in affect, once AA took over TWA. So that would have to be thrown out, otherwise good-bye AA/US plane, unless The Courts say AA/TW yes, but US/AA/TW is different
First of all, it is a lien, not a seizure order.

Secondly, according to the US based attorney for the TWA Israeli employees, the lien excludes airplanes.
Local firm battled in TWA-American acquisition case

A few weeks ago, several members of the Israeli union, in an action not authorized by the union, filed papers in an Israeli court, which led to the judge placing a lien on all TWA property in that state. The lien, Zabarauskas said, excluded airplanes. However TWA, apparently as a precaution, cancelled all flights to Israel, stranding thousands of travelers who had planned to fly there for the Passover holiday. It has since asked for $26 million in sanctions from the union over lost revenue from the flights.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:04 pm
Suspended

First of all, it is a lien, not a seizure order.

Secondly, according to the US based attorney for the TWA Israeli employees, the lien excludes airplanes.
I had my flight CXed a few days after TW stopped the TLV route, ended up flying back on DL

I can only tell you what I was told at the TW mgrs I knew at the time in Israel.That TW Cxed the JFK-TLV flight saying it was MX since there still was a plane on the ground @ TLV and TW mgmt felt their plane would be seized if their true intentions were mad known = cutting out of town in the middle of the night leaving all its debts behind. Now seizure and enforcing a lien is the samething where by TW would not have had use of its plane. TW didnt shut down when it pulled its TLV flights, if anything it kept flying everywhere else

Once AA took over TW except for the TLV route, it was said if AA flew in the plane would be held. Since AA didnt include TLV and made it a point to exclude it , there was talk they might have started up flying in until The Israeli Courts basically said we dont care how the US applys its laws.To us AA purchased TW and that includes the TLV route. Now what if anything would have happened if AA flew its plane to TLV we wont ever know, simply due to an AA plane never yet has flown the route.

I suspect that before it allows either a US metal plane or a AA metal plane to fly in to TLV, that they will have gotten a legal rendering if its plane or what part of AA can be Held to offset the debts of TW that still hasnt been paid.This is once US & AA are Legally 1 company, I believe that today they are 2 different companys and thats why USs plane arent being Held

Time will tell what will be, but the fact is The Israeli Courts did say AA stuff can be held and The Court didnt accept that AA purchased TW except for TLV and AA has never flown into TLV with its own metal. Maybe some sort of a settlement will be agrred upon = AA metal will fly in or maybe no settlement and once its 1 company PHL-TLV goes bye-bye. Right now its a guessing game
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:37 pm

I can only tell you what I was told at the TW mgrs I knew at the time in Israel.
Somehow, I trust the attorney's analysis of the situation better than that of an employee who has a stake in the outcome of the legal wranglings.

Everything that I have read seems to indicate that the lien was issued only against TWA Israeli based assets.

Here are links to a couple of news items about the court's order:
Tel Aviv court issues preliminary injunction against TWA

Tel Aviv District Court Judge Varda Alshech today issued a preliminary injunction prohibiting the U.S.-based Trans World Airlines from removing or selling any of its Israeli assets, or transferring their ownership
TWA halts all flights to Tel Aviv after Israeli court calls for local liquidation

Nine days ago a Tel Aviv District Court judge issued a preliminary injunction prohibiting the U.S.-based carrier from removing or selling any of its Israeli assets, or transferring their ownership.
Once AA took over TW except for the TLV route, it was said if AA flew in the plane would be held. Since AA didnt include TLV and made it a point to exclude it , there was talk they might have started up flying in until The Israeli Courts basically said we dont care how the US applys its laws.To us AA purchased TW and that includes the TLV route. Now what if anything would have happened if AA flew its plane to TLV we wont ever know, simply due to an AA plane never yet has flown the route.
Can you please direct me to a place where I can read the court's actual ruling (Hebrew is fine). Again, I don't quite trust a lay person's interpretation of the judge's order.

I suspect that before it allows either a US metal plane or a AA metal plane to fly in to TLV, that they will have gotten a legal rendering if its plane or what part of AA can be Held to offset the debts of TW that still hasnt been paid.
Agreed.

Time will tell what will be, but the fact is The Israeli Courts did say AA stuff can be held and The Court didnt accept that AA purchased TW except for TLV and AA has never flown into TLV with its own metal.
Again, I'd like to read the judge's own words to determine if that was her order.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Somehow, I trust the attorney's analysis of the situation better than that of an employee who has a stake in the outcome of the legal wranglings.

Everything that I have read seems to indicate that the lien was issued only against TWA Israeli based assets.

Here are links to a couple of news items about the court's order:

Can you please direct me to a place where I can read the court's actual ruling (Hebrew is fine). Again, I don't quite trust a lay person's interpretation of the judge's order.

Agreed.

Again, I'd like to read the judge's own words to determine if that was her order.
even TWAs spokesperson said they did what they did in order to avoid a seizure of their plane/s http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/429611/

It will take me some to try and find where they said AA can be held. But at the time of TLV being shut down TLV was, supposingly TWs most profitable route. Of cause all the Debts might have axed that for AA. TW had its own employees on the ground both in the various offices throughout Israel as well as @ TLV. They didnt use Rent a crew and have its own fleet of equipment as well, including its own stair-trucks although they were so old TW left it all behind, probably would have cost them more to ship/fly that junk out of there

Personally I would like to see AA fly in, as long as its not on 767s.Got a large stash of AA miles and after the merge it will be even larger with my stash of US miles. Plus with cpm running close to .015 per eqm I Welcome anything to get that down.Plus with LX being the only non-US/CA Carrier using widebodys (besides LY) I welcome AA with open arms. As I already said Im not counting on it happening if anything I see US pulling out (not as TW did) but very close to when they will be 1 company, unless they know 100% that nothing will be Held and whatever TW owed + Interest they wont be accountable for
Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:20 pm

even TWAs spokesperson said they did what they did in order to avoid a seizure of their plane/s http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/429611/
That does not add anything to what I had quoted above:
A few weeks ago, several members of the Israeli union, in an action not authorized by the union, filed papers in an Israeli court, which led to the judge placing a lien on all TWA property in that state. The lien, Zabarauskas said, excluded airplanes. However TWA, apparently as a precaution, cancelled all flights to Israel, stranding thousands of travelers who had planned to fly there for the Passover holiday. It has since asked for $26 million in sanctions from the union over lost revenue from the flights.
I still would like to read the judge's orders issuing the preliminary injunction and later imposing the liens.

But at the time of TLV being shut down TLV was, supposingly TWs most profitable route. Of cause all the Debts might have axed that for AA. TW had its own employees on the ground both in the various offices throughout Israel as well as @ TLV. They didnt use Rent a crew and have its own fleet of equipment as well, including its own stair-trucks although they were so old TW left it all behind, probably would have cost them more to ship/fly that junk out of there
Can you please provide a credible source, i.e., not former employees involved in a dispute over wages, severance pay and pensions, that the TLV route was profitable? Every independent source which I had read indicated that the TLV route at best broke even and most likely was a money loser due to a huge overhead - over 100 local employees to service a single daily flight - and Carl Icahn's Karabu ticket agreement.

Personally I would like to see AA fly in, as long as its not on 767s.Got a large stash of AA miles and after the merge it will be even larger with my stash of US miles. Plus with cpm running close to .015 per eqm I Welcome anything to get that down.Plus with LX being the only non-US/CA Carrier using widebodys (besides LY) I welcome AA with open arms. As I already said Im not counting on it happening if anything I see US pulling out (not as TW did) but very close to when they will be 1 company, unless they know 100% that nothing will be Held and whatever TW owed + Interest they wont be accountable for
I knew many of the TWA Israeli employees, including the last two station managers. I would like to see nothing short of them becoming whole. However, I don't foresee that happening. Most of TWA's US based employees fared much worse than their Israeli counterparts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.