Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sabbasolo
Feel free to pitch in with edits for content, additional posts and threads to be linked in the wiki, or general clean up - but please be as accurate and clear as possible!

WELCOME TO THE FLYERTALK EL AL MATMID THREAD! THIS IS A COMMUNITY-MAINTAINED WIKI FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT EL AL, MATMID, ELAL.COM, AND THE LY FT THREAD. PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING!

This thread is FLAME-FREE! Please recognize newbies who are posting here as well, and respond accordingly!!

Help me understand FlyerTalk and EL AL Matmid Forum lingo!

Flying with EL AL?
Frequent flyer with EL AL?
Need to contact EL AL?
Want general information about EL AL?
EL AL Online:

Important Threads From the Matmid forum!
Another FT thread: Traveling in Israel, for help navigating transportation in Israel

And from EL AL's website: Fly a Lot? EL AL Offers You a Ticket Pack
Upgrade to Premium Classes On-Board Your Flight!

Have a question? Do a SEARCH! Before posting a new thread, search first! There are 2 ways of searching FlyerTalk!
  1. Inside the specific forum, click on "Search this Forum" for results from within the El Al Matmid forum. To search all of FlyerTalk, click on "Search" located above the forum.
  2. By using Google. Duh! To search FT using Google, first type "site:www.flyertalk.com," and then a space, and then type what you want to search. (Leave out the quotation marks and comma!)
Searched? Can't find what you're looking for? Posting a new thread is simple. Try giving a descriptive title, and try not reviving really old threads! Note of caution: Posting in mega-threads (threads that may have been merged, or have posts from a wide range of years,) may not yield results.
Print Wikipost

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Because with Air France, for example, they have different levels of redemption too, and if the lowest redemption tickets have gone, and therefore your ticket is booked into a higher class for more miles, it earns miles (though not many).
It shouldn't earn miles, that must have been some IT glitch... happens every now and then.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
A few quick questions regarding a simple CDG-TLV award booking in business class:

1) Am I correct that a one-way award costs 50% of a round-trip, i.e. 1100 Matmid points for Executive members?

2) Is it still true that transferring at least 5000 AMEX MR points (from a US AMEX account) automatically upgrades the Matmid account to "Executive" and therefore is eligible for the lower pricing?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
A few quick questions regarding a simple CDG-TLV award booking in business class:

1) Am I correct that a one-way award costs 50% of a round-trip, i.e. 1100 Matmid points for Executive members?

2) Is it still true that transferring at least 5000 AMEX MR points (from a US AMEX account) automatically upgrades the Matmid account to "Executive" and therefore is eligible for the lower pricing?

Thanks in advance!
Correct on both accounts!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: QF WP
Flying JNB-TLV in business on the 767-300 what can I expect on the overnight flight ? Is it as bad as I anticipate with regards to the seat and the food ?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL SM, HH Silver, SPG Gold
Can you transfer points from one Matmid account to another? Is there a fee?

I have two people each with 360 points expiring in a couple months, looking to travel NYC-TLV, and they would like to transfer some points so they can upgrade from Economy (M) to Business (R) which costs 450 points I believe.

Besides the upgrade, is there anything you can do with less than 2000 points if you are based in North America?

One of the passengers is Silver Executive, but the status expires in July while they are interested in flying in September (not sure if that makes any difference).

Toda!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by Nexus 617
Can you transfer points from one Matmid account to another? Is there a fee?

Toda!
No you cannot transfer points
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL SM, HH Silver, SPG Gold
Thanks Houminer!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, OWE
Immigration question

Planning to visit Tel Aviv with my mom. I have been to Israel many times, so I am familiar with immigration/security. My mom does not speak a word of english, how will she be able to pass the immigration and security if she can’t answer a single question?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by OHPlatsku
Planning to visit Tel Aviv with my mom. I have been to Israel many times, so I am familiar with immigration/security. My mom does not speak a word of english, how will she be able to pass the immigration and security if she can’t answer a single question?
What language does she speak? Will you arrive together?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, OWE
Originally Posted by flyerby

What language does she speak? Will you arrive together?
Only Finnish language. I am travelling with her.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by OHPlatsku
Only Finnish language. I am travelling with her.
Then with a private translator (you), she won’t have any problem.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Can someone explain upgrade by purchase options and how they work? 2 of us are flying JFK-TLV in Economy (777), as part of a group...seat were assigned by the TA. On the El Al website, I see that I purchase (or request to purchase) an Economy Plus seat ($160 pp/ow). Is it worth it? It also looks like I can purchase (or request to purchase) a seat in Business Class ($500 pp/ow)...seat only, not service. I can see that there are some seats left in both areas, but it looks like i fill out a form to request the seat...how do i request one for each of us so that we both get a seat or neither of us do? I'm just concerned about the flight out since we will arrive at 6:30am and have to hit the ground running. If it's best to call, what's the best number to call? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by adomatic
Can someone explain upgrade by purchase options and how they work? 2 of us are flying JFK-TLV in Economy (777), as part of a group...seat were assigned by the TA. On the El Al website, I see that I purchase (or request to purchase) an Economy Plus seat ($160 pp/ow). Is it worth it? It also looks like I can purchase (or request to purchase) a seat in Business Class ($500 pp/ow)...seat only, not service. I can see that there are some seats left in both areas, but it looks like i fill out a form to request the seat...how do i request one for each of us so that we both get a seat or neither of us do? I'm just concerned about the flight out since we will arrive at 6:30am and have to hit the ground running. If it's best to call, what's the best number to call? Thanks in advance!
I think the econ+ is reasonable, more legroom, footrest. Or check exit row seats for less money. $500 is decent for biz too I'd say, depending on your affordability.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by moe8555
I think the econ+ is reasonable, more legroom, footrest. Or check exit row seats for less money. $500 is decent for biz too I'd say, depending on your affordability.
The $500 for business class seat will only be offered if business class is not operational for the flight, which is highly unlikely on an NYC flight.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by gordo6
The $500 for business class seat will only be offered if business class is not operational for the flight, which is highly unlikely on an NYC flight.
I thought that was only F seat with C service that's only offered if no F service at all. I have definitely heard of and seen pax sitting in C with Y meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.