Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EasyJet refunds

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
In late February booked April flights.

Got an e-mail from EasyJet 16 March telling me that flights had been canceled, and offering to refund.

Went on line 19 March and asked (by clicking buttons, not by talking to anyone) for a refund. Seemed to work, as I got an e-mail saying that I would be reimbursed within seven (7) business days.

With generous counting, that would have been by 31 March (at the latest). But did not get any reimbursement. So, after reading this thread, on Saturday I asked for charge back with Chase (had booked with Chase Hyatt Visa). They (Chase) immediately responded that a provisional charge back would be issues and, indeed, this morning, Chase credited the money back to my account.

Will now wait to see what EasyJet does, but I do have the e-mail from EasyJet promising the reimbursement, so I'd like to think that I shall be fighting this battle while holding the high ground.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by gforce
It looks like Amex UK have removed the option to dispute transactions. I don't see that link any longer.
I can still see the link on my account (Amex Platinum).
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Additionally, as someone pointed out earlier, Easyjet have disputed all chargeback requests so Amex have reopened all 4 cases in my account.
This process, Easyjet is using, is called representment. Your bank just has to chargeback that representment again.
Since Easyjet has not delivered the service, Easyjet should loose out in the end.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Will now wait to see what EasyJet does, but I do have the e-mail from EasyJet promising the reimbursement, so I'd like to think that I shall be fighting this battle while holding the high ground.
Going forward -- and after the CEO's email about how all April flights are cancelled -- if EasyJet contests the chargebacks with regard to these April flights, that would be very bad faith on their part. I hope we don't see that.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In late February booked April flights.

Got an e-mail from EasyJet 16 March telling me that flights had been canceled, and offering to refund.

Went on line 19 March and asked (by clicking buttons, not by talking to anyone) for a refund. Seemed to work, as I got an e-mail saying that I would be reimbursed within seven (7) business days.

With generous counting, that would have been by 31 March (at the latest). But did not get any reimbursement. So, after reading this thread, on Saturday I asked for charge back with Chase (had booked with Chase Hyatt Visa). They (Chase) immediately responded that a provisional charge back would be issues and, indeed, this morning, Chase credited the money back to my account.

It is important when submitting a chargeback request, to document it in a way it cannot be refuted (even if contested). Do everything in writing and keep screen shots of webforms and the like. If, for some reason, a conversation is required, write a detailed memo contemporaneously and show the date & time of the call and of your writing.

At a minimum, provide:
1. Copy of your e-ticket receipt showing the routing, flights, and e-ticket number.
2. Copy of cancellation (screen shot if need be)
3. Copy of your request for a reimbursement.
4. Copy of carrier's commitment to reimburse (if given).
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Often1
At a minimum, provide:
1. Copy of your e-ticket receipt showing the routing, flights, and e-ticket number.
Do you think the CEO's email will qualify for 2? My flight is not listed as cancelled, but I received the CEO's email saying it (and all April flights) will not fly.
For 3, I see no way on the site to submit this request. Is there a hidden email address somewhere?
Again with 4, do you think the CEO's email qualifies?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:24 am
Suspended

I would just use the customer service email from the website: customer.support@easyJet. You may or may not hear something back, but all you can do is make the request.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
It is important when submitting a chargeback request, to document it in a way it cannot be refuted (even if contested). Do everything in writing and keep screen shots of webforms and the like. If, for some reason, a conversation is required, write a detailed memo contemporaneously and show the date & time of the call and of your writing.

At a minimum, provide:
These are excellent points. In retrospect, I wish I had taken screen shots for point 3, since my request was essentially by pushing a button that they presented to me. However, I do have 4 (as well as 1 and 2), and there is a sense in which 4 implies 3.

When I submitted the charge back request to Chase, I wanted to give them the e-mails (or *.pdf files thereof) for points 1, 2, and 4; but the Chase on-line mechanism did not (does not) have a place to attach files. They did have a box for comments, so I wrote down the sequence of dates corresponding to what I posted here. I will be ready to send Chase this information if and when they get back to me.

Anyhow, thanks for your earlier recommendation (up-thread) to file the charge back request. I would have kept waiting otherwise.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by gforce
It looks like Amex UK have removed the option to dispute transactions. I don't see that link any longer.

Additionally, as someone pointed out earlier, Easyjet have disputed all chargeback requests so Amex have reopened all 4 cases in my account.

Try this

1.Login to Amex uk on an internet browser (not the app)
2. From the dropdown menu navigate to Account Home or Home 》》》Statement》》》Your card activity

You can then see your

Dispute activity ( unsubmitted /open/ closed )

And also look at all the charges to your account.

If you have a concern about a charge then click on that and select the option of 'have a question about this charge )
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:15 pm

I would just use the customer service email from the website: customer.support@easyJet. You may or may not hear something back, but all you can do is make the request.
Thanks. I just sent the refund request to that address. If nothing else, I can show Chase that I submitted a refund request but received no refund.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:52 pm
Suspended

These are excellent points. In retrospect, I wish I had taken screen shots for point 3, since my request was essentially by pushing a button that they presented to me. However, I do have 4 (as well as 1 and 2), and there is a sense in which 4 implies 3.

When I submitted the charge back request to Chase, I wanted to give them the e-mails (or *.pdf files thereof) for points 1, 2, and 4; but the Chase on-line mechanism did not (does not) have a place to attach files. They did have a box for comments, so I wrote down the sequence of dates corresponding to what I posted here. I will be ready to send Chase this information if and when they get back to me.

Anyhow, thanks for your earlier recommendation (up-thread) to file the charge back request. I would have kept waiting otherwise.
If Chase wants the collateral documents, it will send you a request with a UI to upload the materials.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Try this

1.Login to Amex uk on an internet browser (not the app)
2. From the dropdown menu navigate to Account Home or Home 》》》Statement》》》Your card activity

You can then see your

Dispute activity ( unsubmitted /open/ closed )

And also look at all the charges to your account.

If you have a concern about a charge then click on that and select the option of 'have a question about this charge )
Err I know how to access that link

I checked with Amex and the link was inaccessible for a few hours due to website 'maintenance' so I assume I accessed the site during that downtime.
The link was back up in a couple of hours so all good.
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC
I have just had a cancellation email for my flight in a weeks time (15th). They haven't cancelled my return flight on the 17th (yet)...

Only option on their website is to apply for a voucher.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by PointsPointsPoints
I have just had a cancellation email for my flight in a weeks time (15th). They haven't cancelled my return flight on the 17th (yet)...

Only option on their website is to apply for a voucher.
That's it for me -- I'm going to dispute the charge with Chase. easyJet is dragging its feet. I get why they're doing that, and perhaps they'll get why I'm not gonna wait for the refund option.

ETA: Very nice agent at Chase USA. She issued temporary credit for my charge. easyJet now has 30 days to contest it. If they do, then Chase will get back to me to ask for supporting materials. If easyJet contests this charge, that would be very bad faith on their part. Their CEO said my flight and all April flights are cancelled. There is no basis for them to keep my money -- they are legally obligated to refund it, and not whenever they feel like doing so.

Last edited by dhuey; Apr 8, 2020 at 10:39 am
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
EZY seem to have updated their site - now they have a "Help-HUB" - there finally they state some policy

"We are currently cancelling our flights on a seven-day rolling basis to manage the number of contacts going to our Customer Service Team. This ensures that we’re able to help and support our customers as best we can. As your flight hasn’t been cancelled yet, you can do the following:
Change your flight
You can switch onto any flight at any time with no change fees. You can also change your flight as many times as you’d like, to any route, for any date up to March ’21.
Change your flight >Hold onto your flight

Alternatively, hold on until your flight has been cancelled and more options will become available for you."

and elsewhere

3. Request for a refund

We understand that you may prefer a refund. Currently, it’s only possible to request a refund by contacting our Customer Service Team on 0330 365 5000. Unfortunately, they are very busy at the moment, so many customers are enduring long waits on hold - we’re sorry for that. You have up to 12 months to request a refund and we’re working hard on getting an online request form live. So, if you can wait, we’d encourage you to check back here at a later time.

Of course they are lying, because customers don't end up with long waits, but simply the machine hangs up on them.

I have sent customer service a letter requesting a refund, not that I expect ever to see an answer to that, more so to document towards AX that I was in touch with the vendor before asking for a chargeback.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.