EasyJet refunds

Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is all one needs to do. In fact, it is far better to send one's request for a refund in writing, noting that the flight has been cancelled. Keep a copy, screenshot or whatever. Just wait 7 days and then file a chargeback on the 8th.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Currently, it’s only possible to request a refund by contacting our Customer Service Team on 0330 365 5000.
That's the sort of BS that led me to dispute the charge with Chase. Like other airlines, easyJet chooses not to make getting the refund due by law easy. Simply give the refund option online and there would be no need for anyone to call your customer service team. This is a delay tactic, and for that easyJet, you will have Chase to deal with.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by dhuey
That's the sort of BS that led me to dispute the charge with Chase. Like other airlines, easyJet chooses not to make getting the refund due by law easy. Simply give the refund option online and there would be no need for anyone to call your customer service team. This is a delay tactic, and for that easyJet, you will have Chase to deal with.
Not strictly true. A chargeback is bank-to-bank, not customer to vendor. Easyjet will be dealing with their bank (who I assume isn't Chase) who has the authority to accept or decline the chargeback request within the framework provided by Visa or Mastercard. That's why chargebacks work when a company goes into liquidation.

Sorry, perhaps I'm just being a bit pedantic
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:14 am
Suspended

While banks may ultimately process a chargeback when the passenger has failed to make a refund request to the carrier, that is risky. EZY supplies an email and one should simply email a short email to [email protected]. The email should provide the booking reference, the fact that EZY has cancelled one or more of the flights and that the passenger elects a refund to the original form of payment under EC 261/2004.

The Regulation provides 7 days for the carrier to initiate the refund. On the 8th day, one should initiate a chargeback and provide a copy of the cancellation request and the fact that no response has been received.

It may well be that some banks choose to process these and that neither EZY nor its merchant acquirer (bank) bother to object because it will ultimately be liable, but on the other hand, failing to make the request leaves the carrier and its bank an out.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:44 am

Often1, I sent an email to the customer service address with all of the details, requesting a refund. No response. It’s now more than seven days, so they are in violation of EU law and have no basis to contest my charge dispute.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:54 am
Suspended

Often1, I sent an email to the customer service address with all of the details, requesting a refund. No response. It’s now more than seven days, so they are in violation of EU law and have no basis to contest my charge dispute.
Which is the key. Those who fail to take the step of making the request to the vendor, e.g. air carrier, may find their chargebacks and thus refunds even further denied. It may seem pointless to make the request via email, but it produces a time-stamped document.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Which is the key. Those who fail to take the step of making the request to the vendor, e.g. air carrier, may find their chargebacks and thus refunds even further denied. It may seem pointless to make the request via email, but it produces a time-stamped document.
Exactly my thinking. I didn't expect anything to come of that email. Indeed, I never even got a response.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:56 pm

My 24 April booking from Paris to Catania has now disappeared from the system. I had previously checked in, but now there is nothing there, and I have received no email from easyJet about my options. I still have received no response to my email from 9 April requesting a refund.

I have some sympathy for the airlines in this very difficult situation, but this is no way to treat your customers. If airlines want to play games like this, then they cannot fairly complain when customers go straight to their credit card banks and dispute charges for cancelled or rescheduled flights.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

My 24 April booking from Paris to Catania has now disappeared from the system. I had previously checked in, but now there is nothing there, and I have received no email from easyJet about my options. I still have received no response to my email from 9 April requesting a refund.
They seem to be doing a rolling 7 day advance cancellation now. As you've already requested the refund, I think a chargeback is the only option. Maybe try phoning at least once as further proof that you can't get through?

I'm waiting for my 1st May - 3rd May flights to be cancelled. When they are, I'll try getting through to Flight Club, then email, then chargeback.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:59 am

On a happier note, Easyjet are extending Easyjet Plus subscriptions by 3 months,.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Maybe try phoning at least once as further proof that you can't get through?
I sent an email to the only email address I could find. No response. I think that will be good enough for Chase if easyJet contests this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:22 am

When I clicked through the confounding maze of snipe huntlike options for my cancelled flights I was eventually confronted with a form with which to request a refund. After some time, I received an email that stated "Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us and for submitting a refund request.

We are working hard to process your request as quickly as possible. Due to the exceptionally high volumes currently being processed as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, we will try our best to complete your request within 28 days following submission. Please do not contact us regarding a previous request unless it has been more than 90 days since you made your original submission.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

easyJet Customer Services"

I guess that is some form of progress
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Nunthewiser
When I clicked through the confounding maze of snipe huntlike options for my cancelled flights I was eventually confronted with a form with which to request a refund. After some time, I received an email that stated "Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us and for submitting a refund request.

We are working hard to process your request as quickly as possible. Due to the exceptionally high volumes currently being processed as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, we will try our best to complete your request within 28 days following submission. Please do not contact us regarding a previous request unless it has been more than 90 days since you made your original submission.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

easyJet Customer Services"

I guess that is some form of progress
I think that pretty well sums up the situation. They are committing to try to respond to you 28 days* later, but leave them alone for at least 90 days if they ignore you. Translation: if you want your money back, dispute the charge with your credit card bank.

* Maybe 28 days wasn't a good number in this dire situation.

DYKWIA likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nunthewiser
When I clicked through the confounding maze of snipe huntlike options for my cancelled flights I was eventually confronted with a form with which to request a refund. After some time, I received an email that stated
It's good that you can now request the refund online. I just did my request and received the same email as you. Let's hope it's closer to 28 days than 90
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
"After some time..." How long, in your experience? I made the refund request on the form around 15:00 today, no acknowledgement yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.