Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2004, 7:04 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
What the bleep are you talking about??!! How did you get "stay in the house and shut up" out of my relaying a comment from a disabled person that chairs a committee for disabled rights?
You were saying that it was the activists unreasonale "demands" which cause all the problems. It seems you would rather they not speak up, but instead just wait until you think it's important enough. [IOW - never]. Sorry, as in this thread, it is not the so called "unreasonable demands" that is the problem, but the "unreasonable resistance" to something so simple to solve. This applies to captioning or to putting in ramps for wheelchairs or whatever. If the activists didn't do anything, we all would be stuck at home. [Speaking as someone who uses a powerchair to get around who also happens to be deaf.

While we're out here trying to make sure that all cross walks have sound indicators for the blind, sidewalks have cut-ins for those in wheelchairs and safety oriented warnings have visual aides for the deaf; you want to waste time getting DVD players to watch Blockbuster films on transcontinental flights. Where are your priorities? What I'm saying is that demanding DVD players on airlines is a ridiculous request, and it is to any reasonable person - disabled or not. Heck you can make the argument that any person with a "hearing impairment" is entitled to a personal DVD player. How would you tell someone that has trouble hearing the film that they are not "deaf enough" to qualify for an inseat DVD player. How is it fair that I have to watch some crappy movie + 2 hours of "NBC Inflight" while you're able to watch two movies of your choice on your DVD player.

DVD players are a luxury, not a safety, access or civil rights issue.
You're arguing against something that I did not say ("DVD's for everyone"). I do not disagree with you about whether it's a luxury item or a safety item. On the other hand, it does not make it less important to those who need it, as you seem to be saying.
Old May 16, 2004, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I still want to know what they are going to do for the blind passengers. Doesn't it appall you that airlines don't provide a separate audio track with commentary on the positions of the actors and and a description of the action on the screen?

Well, doesn't it?
If you're really so concerned about this, why don't you start a thread on the blind? We were discussing the deaf and captioning on this thread.
Old May 16, 2004, 7:12 pm

deleted by deafflyer.

Last edited by DeafFlyer; May 17, 2004 at 6:26 am
Old May 16, 2004, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
For me personally, there is no problem. However, If the airline is going to provide IFE they should also be required to ensure that they are captioned. The issue is equal access.
DeafFlyer - this post is why I thought you felt that if the airline is going to provide IFE they should also be required to ensure that they are captioned.

By "required" you must mean "encouraged?" My bad if I'm misinterpreting .
Old May 17, 2004, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by JeremyZ
DeafFlyer - this post is why I thought you felt that if the airline is going to provide IFE they should also be required to ensure that they are captioned.

By "required" you must mean "encouraged?" My bad if I'm misinterpreting .
I'm sorry, I forgot that post.
What I meant is somewhere between required and encouraged. I can't think of the word for it right now.
Old May 17, 2004, 8:47 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I'm sorry, I forgot that post.
What I meant is somewhere between required and encouraged. I can't think of the word for it right now.
I believe the word you are searching for is:
Compelled.
1 : to drive or urge forcefully or irresistibly
2 : to cause to do or occur by overwhelming pressure

They should be compelled by public pressure, and by their own conscience, to provide IFE for deaf passengers.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 5:40 am

Programs: A3-G
if u dont want to buy ur own DVD player, why not rent one for your flight? (USA only)...loads of different options.... http://www.inmotionpictures.com/index.asp
Old Sep 5, 2004, 5:44 am

Programs: A3-G
i've been travelling with UA & BMI for ages....and I have complained many times to customer relations that they dont provide DVD players for deaf pax. They always say that they have passed my comments on to the services manager.

i hear that UA will be offering a new service from NYC to LAX / SFO offering DVDs to 1st & Business class from October 04. If you're in economy, you could always try your luck with the crew in flight.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:33 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
What's wrong with the 8mm tapes they provide to First? Of course, I didn't get subtitles out of mine. Are you referring to domestic or international? I know I can't do that in domestic...
Old Sep 21, 2004, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Silver, Hyatt GP Platinum, Marriott Rewards Silver
Cool Ok, after having read 9 pages of posts and doing research ...

Let's start from the beginning:

An Airline (in the US) is considered a Public Accommodation. As such:

These public accommodations are covered by Title III of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). Likewise, airports are often not owned by
airlines, but are state or local government owned and are covered by Title II of the ADA. When the ACAA conflicts with state or local laws, or with individual air carrier policy, whichever law or policy grants greater protection (that is, is less restrictive) to the person with the disability is the law or policy that will take precedence.
What protections or benefits are afforded under the laws?

Amendments to the ACAA further clarify the provisions of that law. As with other civil rights laws, both the carrier and the person with the disability have rights and obligations for conduct. In general, a carrier cannot, because a person has a disability, discriminate against that person:

-- In the provision of air transportation
-- Require the person to accept special services not requested by the passenger.
-- Exclude a qualified individual with a disability from, or deny the person the benefit of, any air transportation or related services that are available to other persons.
Providing a movie without captioning or some alternative denies that person the benefit of "related services that are available to other persons."

The ACAA requires carriers to modify policies, practices or facilities as needed to ensure nondiscrimination, consistent with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Carriers are not required to make modifications that would create an undue burden or would fundamentally alter their programs (14 CFR 382 §382.7).
When movies are released to DVD they are captioned. You can barely find any movie for general release today that isn't captioned in at least English, and usually French and Spanish too. The captioning is "closed" unless turned on.

The airline could 1) request the closed caption versions of the movies be provided them and 2) turn captioning on as needed. The cost would be negligible, and the inconvenience to other passengers would be minimal as it would only be for the times requried; or the airlines could 1) secure a small quantity of portable DVD players; 2) request captioned versions of the movies (the studios are already doing the captioning for general release, so it's not a signficant cost involved here); 3) provide the DVD players to those requiring the accommodation.

Air carriers are required to have carrier complaint resolution officials (CROs). Air carrier personnel that deal with the public must, within 60 days of assuming job duties, receive training about the provisions of the ACAA that relate to air travel by people with disabilities.
To KD and DeafFlyer ... you should contact the airline in question and request to speak with or get the email address of the Complaint Resolution Officer as mentioned above. They should be able to make accommodation arrangements for you.

Unfortunately, depending on which circuit you live in a lawsuit to force compliance may not be an option. See this 2002 ruling from the 11th Circuit Court:

http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/11th/0210223.html

To those who 1) have children who are deaf and don't understand what the fuss is; or 2) are hearing and just don't get it:

Any company that creates a "Public Accommodation" has a legal responsibility to make sure that all consumers of that Accommodation enjoy it equally. People who have various disabilities have been long denied the "equal enjoyment" of accommodations ... thus have been made a permanent second class of the citizenry.

ADA and subsequently ACA were designed to reset the social inequities suffered by those who, through no fault of their own, have been deprived of equal enjoyment of accommodations.

As a society, we would have a huge problem if a person of color were denied enjoyment of an amenity on a plane. But we have no problem if that person of color were deaf, and were denied, due to their disability, enjoyment of the same amenities (in this case, enjoyment of a movie).

As a matter of public policy, and as a matter of law, deaf persons have the right to equally enjoy the accommodations on a flight, including the in flight movie.

The airlines could step up to this challenge, and I believe they will, as I am seeing an additional form appear on some travel booking sheets. The form asks if there are any special accommodations required. It has a place to check for hearing impaired, vision impaired, physical disability, whatever, and a place to put in the accommodation required. If an airline added this to its' online booking, they would know in advance that a deaf person required accommodation for the movie; a blind person required accommodation in the form of braille instruction cards and perhaps braille magazines for their enjoyment, if they were flying first class; a physically disabled passenger required additional accommodation in the provision for an additional seat for a personal attendant at no charge (most airlines have done the latter for years).

In our country, this is our public policy. Those who have suffered for years due to lack of of it should be supported, not criticized when they ask for that which as a matter of public policy they should receive.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:08 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Boo hoo...

I disagree - there's too much cost. Also, I am fairly certain all the other passengers would be inconvenienced. Who wants white text flashing on their faces when they want to sleep? I'm a deaf ASL signer so I'd know
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Silver, Hyatt GP Platinum, Marriott Rewards Silver
I don

Originally Posted by Wiggums
Also, I am fairly certain all the other passengers would be inconvenienced. Who wants white text flashing on their faces when they want to sleep? I'm a deaf ASL signer so I'd know
A line or two of text on a screen is barely more noticeable than just the normal "flashing" that a movie does anyway.

As a hearing passenger, I would not mind the addition of captions if it were to help a non-hearing passenger. My bet is most other passengers would not mind either.

As far as cost it would be nothing or next to nothing because the studios are already doing the captioning.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:08 am

What if it was a long statement? It would definitely brighten the screen if the scene was nighttime with a dark background. I recall being on a flight where the movie was in English, but it was entirely subtitled in Dutch or Afrikaans (I cannot tell).

Also, the cost won't be nothing or next to nothing because the subtitling's done after the movie. I really would rather not inconvenience the others. Besides, when was the last time you were on a flight where there were other deaf people? Not very common. Only once out of my 60 or 70 trips did I encounter another deaf passenger.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wiggums
What if it was a long statement? It would definitely brighten the screen if the scene was nighttime with a dark background. I recall being on a flight where the movie was in English, but it was entirely subtitled in Dutch or Afrikaans (I cannot tell).
That's a silly reason to not caption. So what if it's brighter? The flights I've had with IFE allowed me to turn the IFE off, or put it on the moving map or whereever. People bothered by bright captions (which aren't that bright) therefore, have options.

Also, the cost won't be nothing or next to nothing because the subtitling's done after the movie.
We went over that issue already.

I really would rather not inconvenience the others. Besides, when was the last time you were on a flight where there were other deaf people? Not very common. Only once out of my 60 or 70 trips did I encounter another deaf passenger.
So what? That has nothing to do with it. How would you know anyways? When I fly, I don't carry a sign saying, "I'm Deaf" on it.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:40 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Require the person to accept special services not requested by the passenger.
wouldn't turning on the captioning require people to accept special services not requested?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.