Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2004, 12:20 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Wiggums
It actually costs money to caption films. Clipping movies is easy, but placing subtitles on it is not. I know for a 30 minute film, it cost my company $22,500 to caption it. The UA logo is an easy 5-minute job, but typing word by word definitely does not take 5 minutes. Does that make sense? Also, have you tried reading the captioning on a tiny 9 inch screen that plops down from the ceiling on an Airbus?

Why don't we make them all plasmas so those with poor eyesight could also see the movie? Oh, what about those who are deaf and with poor eyesight? Let's cover the screen with text. Do you see where I'm getting at?
Don't be ridiculous. That $22,000 is nothing comparesd to the millions spent to make the movie.

And to the last paragraph, do you mean they should do nothing at all since they can't meet every possible need?
Old May 13, 2004, 12:22 pm

I'm not late-deafened. I was born deaf and I use ASL as my primary communication. I am with the others in ganging up on people who choose to plaster "Victim" on their foreheads. I'm a top-tier elite with UA, but I don't expect them to provide me DVD players or sign langauge interpreters on all of my flights.

I'm glad I found this thread - I am constantly amazed at this "gimme" mentality. When I go thru a drive-thru, I have never had problems getting my order by skipping the microphone and driving for the window. They will try their best to accommodate me and I'm appreciative of that.

Having Arby's in Irvine actually place a keyboard on the drive-thru was absolutely ridiculous and they found that nobody was using it. It was eventually taken out and I'm glad they didn't get sued again for that! Taco Bell did the same thing - and eventually took it out too.

I am NOT hearing who is not getting it. I am DEAF who is NOT getting it!
No one is plastering "victim" on their forehead. You clearly are arguing against something I didn't even say. It's no wonder you don't get it.
Old May 13, 2004, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by TravelManKen
That's a pretty low blow and a dang weak response to some legitimate arguments. There is no gang attack happening here, simply people (with and w/o disabilities) stating the fact that some requests are unreasonable. It's not a gang attack to say that when you have a disability there are simply some things in life that you will not be able to enjoy. That's not an attack, and life is not always fair, but it is a reality not caused by other people.

You know many of us non-disabled people have spent thousands of hours assisting those with disabilities and asked for nothing in return. The least you can do is take a look at our opinions and not attack us as being insensitive, or worse, not caring. I'm not one to be easily offended, but that statement was d@mn offensive.
I have nothing to apologize for. Every time a disabled person talks about any kind of accommodation or need, posters jump on them with words like,, "entitlement" or "victim". It matters not, whether it is a wheelchair or some other thing. This is what happened in this thread. Perhaps, I could have chosen better words, but the point is the same.
Old May 13, 2004, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by JeremyZ
No it isn't.

As somebody with a "disability," I can tell you that it is not typical, and this thread is not an example.

Most people simply learn to live with disabilities, doing their best not to let it limit them.

A very few look for every opportunity to be slighted.
Then you haven't been reading Flyertalk or rec.travel.air or other aviation forums long enough or paid enough attention. The responses on this thread are quite common and typical. Didn't even need to try hard to get the responses.
Old May 13, 2004, 12:34 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Don't be ridiculous. That $22,000 is nothing comparesd to the millions spent to make the movie.

And to the last paragraph, do you mean they should do nothing at all since they can't meet every possible need?
Studios are the ones spending millions. For subtitling, forcing airlines to pay $22,000 (for 30 minutes) is equally stupid. It's up to the studios.

And don't you think it's selfish when one wants equal access for deaf people with total disregard to blind people, etc? If one gets it, don't you think it's possible others would want it too? Learn how to live with it!
Old May 13, 2004, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It actually costs money to caption films. Clipping movies is easy, but placing subtitles on it is not. I know for a 30 minute film, it cost my company $22,500 to caption it. The UA logo is an easy 5-minute job, but typing word by word definitely does not take 5 minutes. Does that make sense? Also, have you tried reading the captioning on a tiny 9 inch screen that plops down from the ceiling on an Airbus?

Why don't we make them all plasmas so those with poor eyesight could also see the movie? Oh, what about those who are deaf and with poor eyesight? Let's cover the screen with text. Do you see where I'm getting at?
You're being silly. You sound like you're whining about spending alot of time working on caption for the movies.

Here is the scenarios:

You and I sit each other on the plane for 10 hours flight from, let's say SFO to LHR. There is a 2 hours movies. There are no closed captioned. You put the headset on and watch the movie. I don't understand what they're saying. I would have to ask you by writing note back and forth, what did he say? what did she say? what are they talking about? etc...You'd probably get frustrated and annoyed, right? You don't want that kind of hassle, right? I personally think that the airlines REQUIRE to get DVD players for the deaf passengers so they can watch the movies with closed captioned and enjoy themselves...As I have said the airliners are REQUIRED to provide movies for the HEARING passengers. Why not deaf? Also, The airliners are REQUIRED to provide the sound for the blind passengers....

Last edited by KDHawaii777; May 13, 2004 at 12:46 pm
Old May 13, 2004, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by TravelManKen
I've seen this occur in other civil rights/human rights organizations as well. The activists serve a great roll in raising awareness, however they can really damage the credibility of a situation by making unreasonable demands. These outrageous demands (like DVD players for all) can cause a backlash and delay for other reasonable and urgently needed accommodations.
In other words those poor uppity "crips" [ or Deaf or insert any of the others] should keep their mouths shut and stay locked up at home so others will not have to see them.

The reason activists do what they do is, if they don't nothing will change. I'm not even an activist. I simply voiced my opinion that IFE should be captioned. Immediately people respond with words like "entitlement" and "victim" Geez, now I'm not allowed to have an opinion?
Old May 13, 2004, 12:42 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by KDHawaii777
As I have said the airliners are REQUIRED to provide movies for the HEARING passengers.
I agree with everything you've said except this. It's just not true. The airlines are not required to provide entertainment. If they choose to provide it, they certainly should be required to acommodate every passenger. If they advertize it, there is an even higher standard. But there is no 'requirement' to provide entertainment for anyone, hearing or otherwise.
Old May 13, 2004, 12:48 pm

Studios are the ones spending millions. For subtitling, forcing airlines to pay $22,000 (for 30 minutes) is equally stupid. It's up to the studios.
True enough. The airline could tell the studios they want captions, can't they?

And don't you think it's selfish when one wants equal access for deaf people with total disregard to blind people, etc? If one gets it, don't you think it's possible others would want it too? Learn how to live with it!
The others are quite capable of letting us know their needs. OTOH, are you again saying that they should do nothing at all, since they can't meet all needs?
Old May 13, 2004, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I have said the airliners are REQUIRED to provide movies for the HEARING passengers. Why not deaf? Also, The airliners are REQUIRED to provide the sound for the blind passengers....
I'm thoroughly confused. I'm not sure where you are getting the "required" part.

No airline that I know of (at least subject to US laws) is required to provide movies. Not for the deaf, not for the blind, and not for pax afflicted with neither disability (or "challenge," depending on one's PC quotient). None are required to provide food. None are required to provide sodas. None are required to provide pillows or blankets. None are required to provide alcohol. The list goes on and on.

Rather than wrapping your desire with the cloak of disability and entitlement, try framing it (close-captioning of movies) as a wise business decision for the airlines.
Old May 13, 2004, 1:29 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Number one, I would not be putting headsets on because I cannot hear a peep! I would probably be chatting with you since you're deaf and using ASL.

Number two, are you telling me that my 40-minute flights from SNA to LAX are in violation of the law? Movies weren't on that flight. I think I'm going to fire off a few letters to my congressman and the FAA!

You're being silly. You sound like you're whining about spending alot of time working on caption for the movies.

Here is the scenarios:

You and I sit each other on the plane for 10 hours flight from, let's say SFO to LHR. There is a 2 hours movies. There are no closed captioned. You put the headset on and watch the movie. I don't understand what they're saying. I would have to ask you by writing note back and forth, what did he say? what did she say? what are they talking about? etc...You'd probably get frustrated and annoyed, right? You don't want that kind of hassle, right? I personally think that the airlines REQUIRE to get DVD players for the deaf passengers so they can watch the movies with closed captioned and enjoy themselves...As I have said the airliners are REQUIRED to provide movies for the HEARING passengers. Why not deaf? Also, The airliners are REQUIRED to provide the sound for the blind passengers....
Old May 13, 2004, 1:31 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Rather than wrapping your desire with the cloak of disability and entitlement, try framing it (close-captioning of movies) as a wise business decision for the airlines.
Providing captions would be the honorable thing to do, and less expensive for the airline than providing water. But they will not provide them unless we ask them to. I call every time I book a ticket to request a special meal that I KNOW they will not provide (I have an allergy to corn, and I prefer milk as a beverage). If I call enough times, perhaps I'll eventually get something I can eat.
Old May 13, 2004, 1:33 pm

You ever try reading text on the tiny LCD screens sticking from the ceiling in an Airbus? I even have a hard time reading the subtitling on safety videos and my eyesight's 20/20!

If you weren't such an *******, maybe you can actually encourage a friend to come along and keep you company.

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
True enough. The airline could tell the studios they want captions, can't they?

The others are quite capable of letting us know their needs. OTOH, are you again saying that they should do nothing at all, since they can't meet all needs?
Old May 13, 2004, 1:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm thoroughly confused. I'm not sure where you are getting the "required" part.

No airline that I know of (at least subject to US laws) is required to provide movies. Not for the deaf, not for the blind, and not for pax afflicted with neither disability (or "challenge," depending on one's PC quotient). None are required to provide food. None are required to provide sodas. None are required to provide pillows or blankets. None are required to provide alcohol. The list goes on and on.

I contacted the Disability Center office at an airline headquarter(can't use thier name).They told me that they required to get movies for the hearing passengers. They said Air Carrier Act or something like that doesn't require for them to get captioned movies for the deaf passengers...
Old May 13, 2004, 1:42 pm

Did you ask them about 30-minute flights? I really don't buy it.. my uncle's friend's brother told me this and that....

I looked all over the web and there's NO such requirement.

Woolly Bully, Woolly Bully
Watch it now, here he comes
Says gotta have big movies
And a woolly sound
Woolly Bully

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.