Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KDHawaii777
That's you.
Unless you have a camera over here, that's all in your head. So is the notion of IFE rights. There are none.
Old May 14, 2004, 1:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Unless you have a camera over here, that's all in your head. So is the notion of IFE rights. There are none.What rights? What the heck are you talking about? LOL We are still waiting for you to cite the federal legislation which REQUIRES airlines to show entertainment movies. You haven't done that yet. No rights have been broken if there is no federal law mandating the right of passengers to be entertained on an airplane.

No, it is not all in my head. It is YOU. I think you should re-read your post above. THINK again!!!!
Old May 14, 2004, 2:52 pm

No, it is not all in my head. It is YOU. I think you should re-read your post above. THINK again!!!!
Whoa......you've got some personal stuff going on which has nothing to do with my showing you that there are no IFE rights. I see the truth gets you....good luck.
Old May 14, 2004, 3:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Whoa......you've got some personal stuff going on which has nothing to do with my showing you that there are no IFE rights. I see the truth gets you....good luck.

What? You're senseless...
Old May 14, 2004, 7:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Q: Do you caption in-flight movies and videos?

A: The process for captioning in-flight movie and videos is exactly the same as what we do, so we have the capability to caption for the airlines. The safety information videos on all flights are subtitled, but the entertainment portion seems to be optional. However, there is an interest to initiate a movement to require all videos shown on board be captioned. If a customer pays a fare, part of that fare goes to pay for the movie and entertainment, so the video should be accessible to everyone. Visit The World Airline Entertainment Association for more information
Old May 15, 2004, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
KDHawaii777,

Would you please answer this question:

What should airlines do for the blind passengers? Doesn't it appall you that airlines don't provide a separate audio track with commentary on the positions of the actors and a description of the action on the screen?
Old May 15, 2004, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q: Do you caption in-flight movies and videos?

A: The process for captioning in-flight movie and videos is exactly the same as what we do, so we have the capability to caption for the airlines. The safety information videos on all flights are subtitled, but the entertainment portion seems to be optional. However, there is an interest to initiate a movement to require all videos shown on board be captioned. If a customer pays a fare, part of that fare goes to pay for the movie and entertainment, so the video should be accessible to everyone. Visit The World Airline Entertainment Association for more information
What they fail to realize is just how disruptive captioning is to people who are not used to it.
Old May 15, 2004, 8:32 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
What? You're senseless...
KDHawaii777, apparently the ability to hear is not the only thing you are lacking. You also sorely require a sense of basic courtesy. The first is something which is not your fault and for which we all feel for you. The latter you have no one to blame for except yourself.
Old May 15, 2004, 9:50 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
What they fail to realize is just how disruptive captioning is to people who are not used to it.
Except there should be an option to turn them on only if requested. This is easily done, and not too expensive. And if the airlines followed KDHawaii777's suggestion of providing a few DVD players to passengers who need them, it would cost A LOT LESS! (Or better yet, a remote screen which plugs into the IFE system, on which the captions would be available.)
Old May 15, 2004, 12:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

learn and live with it....
Old May 15, 2004, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

KDHawaii777,

Would you please answer this question:

What should airlines do for the blind passengers? Doesn't it appall you that airlines don't provide a separate audio track with commentary on the positions of the actors and a description of the action on the screen?
Yes and they also should provide brallie books and magazines for the blind including safey demo card!
Old May 15, 2004, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

learn and live with it....
That is where your insensitivity shows. Some people have visual tracking impairment. Captions would make movies unwatchable for them. How can you be so insensitive to people with disabilities?

Last edited by whirledtraveler; May 15, 2004 at 12:50 pm
Old May 15, 2004, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes and they also should provide brallie books and magazines for the blind including safey demo card!
Tell me how it goes.
Old May 15, 2004, 1:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

That is where your insensitivity shows. Some people have visual tracking impairment. Captions would make movies unwatchable for them. How can you be so insensitive to people with disabilities?
No I am not insensitive to people with disabilities. I am saying if you live with a person who is disability, you learn and live with it. I am deaf, okay? I live with man who is my companion. He learns to live with closed captioned on tv all the time.
Old May 16, 2004, 6:44 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by JeremyZ
This cannot be put any clearer:

KDHawaii - airlines are not *required* to provide movies for anyone. They are not required to provide magazines, food, or drinks either.

DeafFlyer - people are not attacking you, but we are objecting to your inconsistent and confusing arguments. you're agreeing with the position that subtitles would be a "nice gesture," rather than a requirement, and are then immediately changing your view to the opposite position.

Next you guys will be insisting that the music in elevators demands subtitling since building owners are "required" to provide entertainment.
When did I ever change my position? I said that it's the right thing to do, but I didn't ask anyone to force it on the airlines. I didn't demand anything either, so I'm confused by your point. I think it's silly that people are so resistant to something so cheap and simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.