Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Originally Posted by missydarlin
wouldn't turning on the captioning require people to accept special services not requested?
Well, I've had to use CC on our TV set for the last ten years, and my non-disabled GF isn't inconvenienced by it. In fact, she's learned to multitask (watch TV and talk on the phone) because she can still follow what's going on by watching the captions.

Interestingly, sometimes you get different or additional information by watching the captions; this is very noticaeable in some episodes of the X-Files in which totally different dialogue is captioned, or when mysterious people's names are indicated (making it easier to figure the episode out ).

FWIW, I think that trying to sleep when the movie is on is the same kind of "special services not requested" as seeing the captions when you don't need them.

BTW, I have a surgical consult next week, and I hope to schedule my stapedectomy for sometime in November. With luck, my 75dB hearing loss will drop to only 5 or 10. I sure won't miss the deafness and tinnitus one bit. But I'm keeping the closed captions on.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Silver, Hyatt GP Platinum, Marriott Rewards Silver
Only applies to the disabled consumer

wouldn't turning on the captioning require people to accept special services not requested?
In the context of ACA, this is speaking strictly of the disabled consumer.

Forcing them to sit in a special section that is substandard to the other sections of the accommodation against their will is an example of a violation of this portion of the law.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:48 pm

Programs: AOPA, 1TE4
Best Wishes for a Speedy Recovery

Originally Posted by Just Passing Thru
BTW, I have a surgical consult next week, and I hope to schedule my stapedectomy for sometime in November. With luck, my 75dB hearing loss will drop to only 5 or 10. I sure won't miss the deafness and tinnitus one bit. But I'm keeping the closed captions on.
Just Passing Thru, Here's a toast to a successful procedure and speedy recovery. Let us know how you're doing. ^

Waiting to Hear From You in the Fog,

mrspilot
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:26 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jazzman
In the context of ACA, this is speaking strictly of the disabled consumer.

Forcing them to sit in a special section that is substandard to the other sections of the accommodation against their will is an example of a violation of this portion of the law.
I realize it was speaking of the disabled customer, but by captioning a screen that is viewable to the entire plane you could still be forcing "services" upon another disabled customer that they may not wish to have.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Originally Posted by mrspilot
Just Passing Thru, Here's a toast to a successful procedure and speedy recovery. Let us know how you're doing. ^

Waiting to Hear From You in the Fog,
I've still got my fingers crossed to get the procedure before the end of the year, but my surgeon wants to do one more full audiogram and an electronystagmography test in order to help rule out Meniere's disease as a possible aggravating factor.

T'would be a good birthday present to get some hearing back in that ear.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 6:32 pm

Programs: United MP
I realize it was speaking of the disabled customer, but by captioning a screen that is viewable to the entire plane you could still be forcing "services" upon another disabled customer that they may not wish to have.
That's why you make it optional. I mean being able to turn them on or off on the IFE controls or touchscreen options. It's done on TV's that way.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
On a related note, United is looking at offering Portable DVD Rentals on TED Flights for $12. It's being discussed in the United Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.