Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by HigherFlyer
My 'handle' is actually a reference to the treatment for my disability. I use medical cannabis for muscle spasms and severe back pain.
Yeah - when I saw you posting at 4:20 every day, I had some idea.

Old May 11, 2004, 10:40 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I have read this thread... geez. It also so happens I'm a completely deaf flyer (as in born deaf, raised deaf, will always be deaf) who frequently flies in Biz or First to Europe or the U.S. I also usually bring along my trusty Vaio laptop with a DVD player in it. Who said it was the airlines' responsibility to keep me entertained?

Can't you buy a magazine or a newspaper.
Old May 11, 2004, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I have read this thread... geez. It also so happens I'm a completely deaf flyer (as in born deaf, raised deaf, will always be deaf) who frequently flies in Biz or First to Europe or the U.S. I also usually bring along my trusty Vaio laptop with a DVD player in it. Who said it was the airlines' responsibility to keep me entertained?

Thank you.
Old May 11, 2004, 5:45 pm

Programs: United MP
Who said it was the airlines' responsibility to keep me entertained?
I don't think anybody said that.
Old May 11, 2004, 5:52 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Then what was the problem?
Old May 12, 2004, 7:28 am

For me personally, there is no problem. However, If the airline is going to provide IFE they should also be required to ensure that they are captioned. The issue is equal access.
Old May 12, 2004, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
For me personally, there is no problem. However, If the airline is going to provide IFE they should also be required to ensure that they are captioned. The issue is equal access.

Wiggums, I don't think you'll ever get through to this dude. I think the rest of us understand.
Old May 12, 2004, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I flew Tel Aviv to Milan this week on Alitalia. I was very surprised that they showed a movie on board (they generally don't) but it was in English and Italian only.

I guarantee you that there were more Hebrew speakers on this flight than most flights have deaf people. The great majority of them could not understand the movie -- but was Alitalia really required to provide Hebrew subtitles?
Old May 12, 2004, 9:54 am

How can you expect 99.9% of the world to stop everything and accommodate the 0.1%? Do you understand we're a VERY tiny part of the population? Magazines and books usually do it for me.
Old May 12, 2004, 10:28 am

What if the guy next to me was missing a right hand and he's actually right-handed? Should he call up the hotel receptionist and demand that somebody come up and write letters for him? That falls under that "equal access" thing you're trying to say.

What if I'm blind and I want to rent a car? Should I demand that Europcar provide me a driver because that's "equal access?"

Once again, buy a magazine or a newspaper. Better yet, bring a friend along. I always have friends with me while travelling. They're fun to be with.
Old May 12, 2004, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JeremyZ

Wiggums, I don't think you'll ever get through to this dude. I think the rest of us understand.
Well, if someone who is deaf doesn't get it maybe it is about more than the disability. Maybe it is about an entitlement.
Old May 12, 2004, 11:24 am

Who said anything about required? http://nad.org/infocenter/newsroom/p...ition0901.html
Has info regarding legal requirements for captioning. As far as I know there are court cases regarding the issue, which are still ongoing.
The whole point of even bringing this up was to show that airlines should have captions on the movie screens as movie theatres are "required" to do. They aren't required to do anything. I can't BELIEVE that this is even an issue. It might be a nice convenience but hardly a necessity. Braille instructions about safety SHOULD be a necessity.
Old May 12, 2004, 11:28 am

Glad you found this thread! The starter of this thread seems to have "victim" written on his forehead. I'd love to see him respond to you!!!
Old May 12, 2004, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Well, if someone who is deaf doesn't get it maybe it is about more than the disability. Maybe it is about an entitlement.
Pretty typical for everyone to gang up on those with disabilities and deny them equal access. Interesting that it should happen on a board for disability travel.

This is more about the hearing not getting it. This thread is full of examples.
Old May 12, 2004, 12:05 pm

What if the guy next to me was missing a right hand and he's actually right-handed? Should he call up the hotel receptionist and demand that somebody come up and write letters for him? That falls under that "equal access" thing you're trying to say.

What if I'm blind and I want to rent a car? Should I demand that Europcar provide me a driver because that's "equal access?"

Once again, buy a magazine or a newspaper. Better yet, bring a friend along. I always have friends with me while travelling. They're fun to be with.
As stated, I do not have a problem. I'm just talking about captioning on IFE. Your examples are way off the point. Captioning is very cheap to do. What's the big deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.