Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Canadian Restaurant?

Canadian Restaurant?

Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I'm from there so I may be biased, but Canadian food to me is Quebecois. Just like this:

http://www.wayfaring.info/2009/02/09/quebec-2/

I know it's Quebecois and not representative of the rest of English Canada, though.

As for English Canada... Beaver tails!

JP
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by roadtripman
Another fond memory of mine re: Americans is the concept of "Canadian Bacon".

I remember in my teens working at McDonald's, I'd often get Americans asking for "Canadian Bacon". Not one person knew that this was any different than actual bacon, so instead of ham, bacon would be served (much to their disdain). It was even better when they ordered "bacon" thinking that they'd get "Canadian Bacon", and they still got actual bacon

"This is American bacon, I wanted Canadian bacon!" "I'm not sure where it is produced, sir" "I want HAM" "So why didn't you just say that? What's all this bacon business about?"

We caught on after a while.....
Actually, "Canadian bacon" as sold in the US is what the UK & Canada would call "back bacon," and is a cured pork loin product.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
what about

Pea Meal bacon is my favorite canadian food
Chip Trucks favorite fast food venue
and butter tarts
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
This is American bacon, I wanted Canadian bacon!" "I'm not sure where it is produced, sir" "I want HAM" "So why didn't you just say that? What's all this bacon business about?"

We caught on after a while.....
I'd have kept on giving them regular bacon just to mess with them.

Perhaps I've dealt with too many idiotic customers in my life and have become too jaded...

BTW, every now and then, I get a craving for an iced cappuccino from Tim Hortons. Deliciously refreshing and sweet! Almost missed my flight back from YYG once because I had to to stop and get one last one...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:36 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Originally Posted by Ichinensei
Well, since someone talked about American food, how about Canadian food? Has anyone ever come across a Canadian Restaurant anywhere in the world?

The only thing I have ever come close to anything Canadian, although it is not really Canadian is a burger named McCanada whilst in Paris.. And someone else also had one of those in a recent trip.

BTW, what do Americans think of Tim Hortons. I'd like to know.
What would be the Canadian national dish.....?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

What would be the Canadian national dish.....?
We don't have one.....much like the Americans don't really have one.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
We don't have one.....much like the Americans don't really have one.
One would think they'd try and differentiate themselves and come up with one, though. If only to shake the label of America, Jr.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Uniter
One would think they'd try and differentiate themselves and come up with one, though. If only to shake the label of America, Jr.
I think that a "national dish" is a misnomer no matter where you are. There are so many national dishes in every country that it would be hard to choose just one regardless.

When you remove the cultural diversity that the African Americans brought into the south and other niches like Kansas City, along with the Latin American influence in the southwest and the Hawaiian influence, there isn't much "truly American" left. Burger and Fries? Maybe American - but I'm fairly certain that one would have been discovered regardless of where. Hot dogs? German. Pizza? Italian. Roast Beef? British. Outside of those influences, the American and Canadian culinary culture is largely the same. Think, what has Oregon and Washington state brought to the table (literally) that British Columbia or Alberta has not?

Canada's immigrants were mostly eastern European settlers to the prairies, bringing with them perogies, sauerkraut, sausage, and the like. There were no African American immigrant populations to spice things up, or Latin American populations to introduce any of their culinary influences. Toronto might be a melting pot today, but "back in the day" it was certainly not - and places like Calgary never were. I had not seen an African American or Latin American outside of television until I was 18 and going to college in Minneapolis!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton HHonors
For the Canadian "drink" it would be a tossup between a Bloody Caesar or a Rye and Ginger.

It always surprises me that the Bloody Caesar never has taken hold to the south. You get strange looks when asking for one...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Beermonger
For the Canadian "drink" it would be a tossup between a Bloody Caesar or a Rye and Ginger.

It always surprises me that the Bloody Caesar never has taken hold to the south. You get strange looks when asking for one...
I totally agree with the Rye and Ginger....I went to college in Kansas, and there was NO bar anywhere that seemed to have ginger ale on hand (nor in restaurants, for that matter). I recieved plenty of stares. My compromise, Whiskey 7's, were just not the same.

Even better than Rye and Ginger.....Rye and PC Ginger Beer
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Beermonger

That's made with Motts Clamato? The Clamato is something few people in the U.S. know about (or maybe even possible fathom/digest/keep down).
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j_the_p
I believe Smarties are originally British. They were created by Rowntree but are now manufactured by Nestle.
Smarties were British (maybe still are). Nestle acquired Rowntree (-MacKinstosh) some 20 years ago.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlshanks
Actually, "Canadian bacon" as sold in the US is what the UK & Canada would call "back bacon," and is a cured pork loin product.
U.K. also calls U.S. style bacon (made from pork belly) "streaky bacon". Speck in German (and Austria) is not that style of bacon either. Some Austrian has started making U.S.-style bacon which it calls "American Bacon" (translated from German). Superior to most U.S. bacon, incidentally.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton HHonors
Yes, a Bloody Caesar can be made with Motts Clamato...I would have thought the seaside resort area restos and bars in the States would have latched onto that drink. BTW, the drink does nothing for me but I am definitely in the minority here at home.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some Canada-only chocolate bars I cannot live without are Peppermint Aero, Coffee Crisp, and Crispy Crunch.
I think Coffee Crisp and Crispy Crunch originated with Nielson.

Aero is a British brand and appears to have been a Rowntree MacKintosh proedct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.