Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Canadian Restaurant?

Canadian Restaurant?

Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Mott's Clamato is more popular in the US than one might think...

Budweiser has a combo Bud Light + Mott's Clamato in 24oz cans!

http://miasmaticreview.mu.nu/mt-stat...%20Chelada.jpg

HTSC

Originally Posted by Beermonger
Yes, a Bloody Caesar can be made with Motts Clamato...I would have thought the seaside resort area restos and bars in the States would have latched onto that drink. BTW, the drink does nothing for me but I am definitely in the minority here at home.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
Mott's Clamato is more popular in the US than one might think...

Budweiser has a combo Bud Light + Mott's Clamato in 24oz cans!

http://miasmaticreview.mu.nu/mt-stat...%20Chelada.jpg

HTSC
That's the most disgusting combo I've ever heard of

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I think Coffee Crisp and Crispy Crunch originated with Nielson.

Aero is a British brand and appears to have been a Rowntree MacKintosh proedct.
I wasn't really talking about the company origins, just where they were sold or where the bar originated before the company acquired the rights to it, etc. AFAIK, Coffee Crisp & Crispy Crunch are sold only in Canada.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 22, 2009 at 11:10 am Reason: Consolidated poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Beermonger
BTW, the drink does nothing for me but I am definitely in the minority here at home.
Some of us have never had Clamato in any form.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton HHonors
I have friends who drink beer and Tomato juice to ease the pain of a hangover so beer and clamato is not much of a stretch...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:59 pm

We have some Clamato in the fridge but it is Mrs. Beermonger who is the fan...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:21 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by roadtripman
We don't have one.....much like the Americans don't really have one.
They dont....? I thought that honor went to the Burger... or maybe BBQ ribs....?

Or perhaps Grits...????

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 22, 2009 at 11:11 am Reason: Consolidated poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
They dont....? I thought that honor went to the Burger... or maybe BBQ ribs....?
BBQ ribs have been done for centuries in Korea (Gabli/Kalbi)....and being from Argentina, I'm sure you are no stranger to its less smoky cousin, the parrillada.

Even so - BBQ is an African American cultural tradition/specialty. I wouldn't think the average American would name it to be the top answer on Family Feud.

Burgers are so global at this point, it'd be hard to trace their culinary heritage. Certainly foods like the age-old Balkan cevapi are analogous to the burger - meat piled on bread or a roll, with condiments.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

Or perhaps Grits...????
Grits is generally consumed in the south (a.k.a. Dixie/the old/former C.S.A.). You'd be hard-pressed to find it in restaurants outside the southern U.S. so clearly it's a "southern" phenomenon.

Ribs originated in the U.S. with African slaves and their impoverished descendants. Ribs (and chitlins) were the discards that these people ate or were fed. FWIW, these and other offcuts such as organ meats and chicken wings were not popular in Canada during the '50s with the then-primarily Anglo population. My partner's Austrian immigrant parents were not adverse to eating this and could pick up the offcuts for a song compared to regular meats.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Ribs originated in the U.S. with African slaves and their impoverished descendants.
I hope you aren't inferring that African slaves were the first people on earth to think of consuming rib meat. This is without a doubt the culinary origin of rib consumption within the USA, but Koreans have been perfecting Galbi (beef ribs) since the Joseon Dynasty.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Topic check!

The thread is about what might the term "Canadian Restaurant" mean.

Side conversations arguing about the origins of foods (particularly non-"Canadian" ones!) are better sparred about via PM.

Thank you.

cblaisd
Dining Buzz Moderator
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:16 pm

I'll be the first to steer back on topic....

The only "Canadian Restaurant" I've been to was in La Paz, Bolivia. I took the American missionary friends whom I was visiting out for dinner as a thankyou for hosting me. Well, suffice to say not one thing at the "Restaurant La Quebecois" was even remotely Quebecois, let alone Canadian. The food was standard western fare, titled in French.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Poutine

Originally Posted by roadtripman
I'll be the first to steer back on topic....

The only "Canadian Restaurant" I've been to was in La Paz, Bolivia. I took the American missionary friends whom I was visiting out for dinner as a thankyou for hosting me. Well, suffice to say not one thing at the "Restaurant La Quebecois" was even remotely Quebecois, let alone Canadian. The food was standard western fare, titled in French.
Haha. that is typical isnt it. I think stuff like this are done all over the world, and on all different kinds of cuisine

SInce I started this thread and people at the beginning mentioned poutine.. I kind of wanted to eat some since I hadnt had some in more than 12 years - so I asked a couple of my buddies and some say Burger King has the best etc..(amongst the fast food chains anyways) but one recommended http://smokespoutinerie.com/ If you are in YYZ, check it out. It is on Adelaide/University and there are a couple of other locations as well. They have basic poutine but also interesting ones like curry chicken, etc.. I went last night after work, and the one I had was Triple pork poutine... smoked bacon, sausages and pulled pork..It was DAMN good... I skipped breakfast this morning let's just say...
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:29 am

I always felt that Canoe Restaurant and bar in Toronto served "Canadian cuisine"...if there is such a thing...see menu here: http://www.oliverbonacini.com/canoemovie.html
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ichinensei
Haha. that is typical isnt it. I think stuff like this are done all over the world, and on all different kinds of cuisine

SInce I started this thread and people at the beginning mentioned poutine.. I kind of wanted to eat some since I hadnt had some in more than 12 years - so I asked a couple of my buddies and some say Burger King has the best etc..(amongst the fast food chains anyways) but one recommended http://smokespoutinerie.com/ If you are in YYZ, check it out. It is on Adelaide/University and there are a couple of other locations as well. They have basic poutine but also interesting ones like curry chicken, etc.. I went last night after work, and the one I had was Triple pork poutine... smoked bacon, sausages and pulled pork..It was DAMN good... I skipped breakfast this morning let's just say...
That does sound pretty amazing! I'll definitely be checking it out if ever in YYZ in the near future.

One restaurant I've always wanted to try is Au Pied du Cochon, Martin Picard's foie gras venture in downtown Montreal. I've heard many good things.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Dang. They sure take poutines to a new level. I was surprised they use Yukon Gold potatoes, not a natural for that but I guess fried up, it doesn't make a big difference!

HTSC
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
... but one recommended http://smokespoutinerie.com/ If you are in YYZ, check it out. It is on Adelaide/University and there are a couple of other locations as well. They have basic poutine but also interesting ones like curry chicken, etc.. I went last night after work, and the one I had was Triple pork poutine... smoked bacon, sausages and pulled pork..It was DAMN good... I skipped breakfast this morning let's just say...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.