Search

What IS Gourmet Coffee?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 3:21 am

Programs: AA Plat
www.bluebottlecoffee.net
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
I think "gourmet" is so overused at this point if it's made from Arabica beans or if it has some flavorings added, it might be called gourmet.

I prefer fresh roasted and correctly ground quality beans. They don't have to come from Kona or Jamaica. In fact, both of those are pretty mild, and thus boring, for people who like coffee with a lot of flavor.

I like Peet's the company and their teas a lot, but I can't stand their coffee. I think it's roasted too dark and brewed too strong. From starbucks, I really only like the House, Columbia, and maybe the Vienna. Most of the others are too "bold" for me.

I think an early poster has it right. Americans in general probably like the lower quality coffee beans, same as chocolate.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Thank you for the variety of responses here. ^

I would just like to start making better coffee. I always had a passion for coffee, just not making it myself. My wife likes the store brand coffees and makes it herself but I have never been to eager to taste them, since it tastes almost like nothing.

I hope I'm on the right path here on not settling for bland, commonplace coffee.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any cafe/restaurants with expensive/rare coffee in WAS area?

tea cellar @ park hyatt has an impressive tea menu. >
http://parkwashington.hyatt.com/hyat...ph/TeaMenu.pdf

1985 Royal Reserve [$]300 [per pot i presume]
Less than 7 kilos of this extraordinary tea produced for worldwide consumption.
Among the finest Pu-Erh ever produced. Hand carried out of China after five years of negotiation.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 28, 2008 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I hope its OK to revive this thread even though its been fallow for many years. I have recently taken up coffee as a new hobby and am interested in places I can buy good coffee, good blends of coffee and paraphernalia to support my coffee experience.

Obviously based in the UK American brands and roasters are no good to me but far be it from me to prohibit discussion of it.

I know Kona and blue mountain are supposedly the best coffees but I max out at £10 for a 250g bag. I do plan to get blue Mountain for my next holiday splurge.

Anyway. Have at it!
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I assume you would be paying 10 per CUP for mega gourmet coffee.
else whatever F&M or Harvey Nicks are stocking?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
I assume you would be paying 10 per CUP for mega gourmet coffee.
else whatever F&M or Harvey Nicks are stocking?
I don't want to pay their prices for coffee. £10 for a bag of coffee is the max I'm prepared to go to.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I hope its OK to revive this thread even though its been fallow for many years. I have recently taken up coffee as a new hobby and am interested in places I can buy good coffee, good blends of coffee and paraphernalia to support my coffee experience.

Obviously based in the UK American brands and roasters are no good to me but far be it from me to prohibit discussion of it.

I know Kona and blue mountain are supposedly the best coffees but I max out at £10 for a 250g bag. I do plan to get blue Mountain for my next holiday splurge.

Anyway. Have at it!
Determine what kind of roast(s) you prefer and find out how the various purveyors roast their coffees prior to splurging on rare varieties. Nothing like over-roasted (burnt) beans to ruin £20++/lb coffee, no matter how delicious its origin.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Comparing Coffee in 2020 vs 2010 is like a smartphone - it’s all better and “cheap” coffee still does a great job. Surely the bags sold at Costa or other good UK chains are going to be fine. I would hope that starbucks / Lavazza uk is selling high quality uk / Europe coffee.
gfunkdave and JBord like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Determine what kind of roast(s) you prefer and find out how the various purveyors roast their coffees prior to splurging on rare varieties. Nothing like over-roasted (burnt) beans to ruin £20++/lb coffee, no matter how delicious its origin.
I'm in the learning curve to discover which kinds of coffees and roasts I like. I've been buying from a local coffee roaster who does a fantastic range, i just want to broaden my horizons.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Comparing Coffee in 2020 vs 2010 is like a smartphone - it’s all better and “cheap” coffee still does a great job. Surely the bags sold at Costa or other good UK chains are going to be fine. I would hope that starbucks / Lavazza uk is selling high quality uk / Europe coffee.
Fine isn't good. If I'm going to pay for it and then drink it, I want it to be good. The chain coffee shops are fine in an average mass produced kind of way.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I know Kona and blue mountain are supposedly the best coffees but I max out at £10 for a 250g bag.
Not too bad but beware that ~10% actual beans is what is required to call ita Kona or Blue Mountain blend (vs pure). I had to buy 20 250g bags of Miele-branded coffee beans (all supposed to be from high-elevation Americas arabica) for C$299, but that was to get a superautomatic machine for $800 off.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not too bad but beware that ~10% actual beans is what is required to call ita Kona or Blue Mountain blend (vs pure). I had to buy 20 250g bags of Miele-branded coffee beans (all supposed to be from high-elevation Americas arabica) for C$299, but that was to get a superautomatic machine for $800 off.
Whitards as 250g bag of blue Mountain for £50 single origin.

I will splurge on it or something similar when I can justify the expense, probably Christmas.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:48 am

If you want single origin Black Cat is pretty good, Square Mile makes some nice espresso blends, Hasbean has a good reputation but I've not tried their beans personally. A lot depends on your taste and what type of coffee you are brewing.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
If you want single origin Black Cat is pretty good, Square Mile makes some nice espresso blends, Hasbean has a good reputation but I've not tried their beans personally. A lot depends on your taste and what type of coffee you are brewing.
Black cat looks really good. I like the idea of single origin high end coffees but, some roasters do amazing blends. These black cat people have what looks to be a good espresso blend, its got a couple of good reviews anyway.

For background, I've been buying from Coffee Real as they supply a couple of our favorite local coffee shops. My reason for revitalising this thread is, I'd like to broaden my horizons. Black Cat looks like a good start! Thank you!
Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:47 am

No problem hope you find something you enjoy from Black Cat I'm currently working through some of their Rwandan peaberry which has a remarkable blueberry note which works very nicely in milk drinks, and some of their Costa Rican waiting to go which I'm told has a nice almond note which does a passable impersonation of a bakewell tart. I'm keen to try Hasbean at some point some of their beans get v v high praise. Thank goodness we get a morning every day when we can indulge this addiction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.