Wiki Posts
Search

What IS Gourmet Coffee?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by gaobest
That’s a great price if it includes postage - I’m paying 12.99-15.99 (rarely $16.99) for a 12-oz bag at a nice shop.
14.75USD including tax&shipping.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by samftla
First of all there are two types of coffee beans, Robusta and Arabica. What is typically referred to as "gourmet" coffee would normally be about Arabica coffees. However more and more of the flavored coffees seem to be so labeled regardless of the type of coffee bean.

Robusta coffee is generally considered of inferior quality and taste to that of Arabica. Most of the major commercial brands, Maxwell House, Folgers etc are made from Robusta. It is a much cheaper coffee to produce, higher yields and also grows about anywhere as long as there is no frost. In addition Robusta coffees have about 3 times the amount of caffeine as Arabica ones.

In general Arabicas coffee trees yield substantially less, the trees are difficult to cultivate and each tree can produce anywhere from 0.5-5 kg of dried beans, depending on the tree's individual character and the climate that season.

But just because a bean is Arabica does not insure a great cup of coffee, very dependent on how and when it was roasted and how and when it was brewed. In general 7 days after roasting a coffee bean will begin to go stale.

In you would like more information try this link
http://kaffee.netfirms.com/Coffee/robustavsarabica.html

Sam
This is a very good introduction to coffee and what can be termed gourmet and what is not. I would also want to add that Robusta coffee tends to be bitter, have earthy tones but is less acidic. This makes Robusta coffee beans easier to roast, as in you are not likely to spoil a good batch of Robusta beans by over-roasting it. Arabica beans on the other hand have a mixture of acidity and aromas that has to be brought out by a skilled coffee roaster. Over-roasting a particular type of Arabica bean can spoil the batch by making it bitter and waste a good supply of beans, while not roasting it enough will not bring out the hidden flavours in the coffee beans. People have a preference for Arabica beans because it is less bitter (arising from the higher acidity that masks the bitterness of coffee), though some of the best coffee I had tends to be a blend of Arabicas and Robustas. Again, a gourmet coffee roaster would know how to blend them in the right proportions.

Authentic kopi luwak is considered gourmet though nowadays the kopi luwak that is commercially available is harvested from coffee farms feeding caged civet cats the beans. In the wild, the civet cats are known for its pickiness towards only eating the mature coffee beans, and thus it becomes a filter of sorts.

Gourmet coffee generally means handpicked coffee beans from the farms directly sold in much smaller quantities that are roasted in smaller batches and they tend to be enjoyed quickly from the point they were grinded. Roasted coffee beans can last for a while, while ground coffee beans should be enjoyed quickly so as not to lose any of its aromas and flavours. The process of brewing your coffee also affects the choice of coffee. If you just tend to use a coffee machine, then it is unlikely you need to invest in gourmet coffee. The same goes if you drink your coffee with foamed milk or mix it with sugar or tea (HK style), as you are unlikely able to enjoy the differences of a gourmet coffee bean vs a commercial one. Generally the optimal way to enjoy gourmet coffee is through a filter drip with non-boiling water used, or one could go for cold brew if they have the patience to brew their coffee the night before. So if one wants gourmet coffee, they need to be willing to spend the time to make it themselves at home or spend the time waiting longer at the coffee shop, and please do not add sugar or milk to a brew of gourmet coffee.

I tend to think of gourmet coffee to the same way as selecting for gourmet cuts of meat. You need to go to a coffee roaster who has the experience and ability to differentiate between the beans and the ability to roast the beans (medium or dark roast) and blend it in the optimal way. This is the same concept as to shopping for meat in a supermarket with commercial cuts or shopping for meat in a local butchery that have been handed down for generations so they owners know the various cuts of meats well enough and can recommend one to your needs. The point is that if you drink coffee in the morning on the way to work, it is convenience you crave for and not gourmet coffee and that is how most of the coffee is drank in the world today, though there are increasing gourmet coffee catering to those who enjoy coffee as a leisure beverage.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I some how missed samftla's early post... very informative... TIL!

I guess based on that, I am drinking "gourmet" coffee then!
I feel so fancy!
Imma gonna go to Tokyo Disneyland!
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I prefer artisanal coffee.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I finally have my mitts on a bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. I am unsure whether I should make it in a cafetiere or grind it finely enough to use as an espresso.

Any pointers appreciated.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:19 am

Personally, I've always prefered the French press for a coffee flavor I enjoy and would like to savor. While espresso is certainly my preferred option after dinner, generally, my favorite way to enjoy coffee is slow sipping & savoring during the very early mornings.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I finally have my mitts on a bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. I am unsure whether I should make it in a cafetiere or grind it finely enough to use as an espresso.

The French press would be nice but if I had an expensive bag of rare coffee beans and a grinder, I'd use the pour over method, even if that meant investing in the "pour over" and filters (neither of which are expensive).
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by USA_flyer

not too much dairy and sweetener :-)
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
...I'd use the pour over method, even if that meant investing in the "pour over" and filters (neither of which are expensive).
Interesting! I wasn't privy to this method, but will look forward to trying it out.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Interesting! I wasn't privy to this method, but will look forward to trying it out.
Years ago, I used to have a Chemex glass pour over coffee maker.

It worked with both paper and stainless steel filters.

Melita is another brand that makes pour over coffee makers.
Visconti likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I use a French Press as well, but looking forward to getting a pour over as well.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
If getting a pour-over kit and a filter paper set, make sure to get a pour-over kettle with a long snout. Something like the one below, as this will ensure a constant flow of water, and one needs to be patient when doing the pour over.

Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by work2fly
The French press would be nice but if I had an expensive bag of rare coffee beans and a grinder, I'd use the pour over method, even if that meant investing in the "pour over" and filters (neither of which are expensive).
I am giving serious thought to buying a pour over metal filter from Amazon. That way I can re-use it and not worry about paper filters.

My kettle is a Bosch and can do 70°, 80°, 90° and boiling hot water. What water temperature should I be aiming for for pour over?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:49 am

195-205°F or 90-96°C.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
What IS Gourmet Coffee?
Tim Horton's...best coffee ever!

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.