The top wines in your cellar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The top wines in your cellar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Mark Squires is not a nice person.
On the subject of Wine Boards..... maybe Ive misunderstood, but is one of the above posts supposed to say that Squires is on Wine Beserkers..? I thought that Beserkers was created to take in the folks that were forced (or chose to) exile from ERobert Parker....?????
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zoonil
I love my 2008 FAUST Cabaranet Savignon!
I'd prefer it if if cost under $25 a bottle. Then I would consider it to be a Faustian bargain
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fesiempre
ever tried trader joe's '2 buck chuck'? it's quite good for $2
a) it's not that good, and

b) it's more than $2 a bottle as well. They raised the price earlier this year.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/25/...-a-price-hike/
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by flyboy60

I remember a while back we bought a case of Pacific Peak from total wine for a party at I think $2.38 a bottle. It was so bad, we poured 7 bottles of it down the drain. Since then, I've never dipped below $10 unless it was on a specific recommendation
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyboy60

I don't want to sound like a wine snob.... but, I think saying that this stuff is not that good is being very very, very, diplomatic.

I don't dare smell the stuff...
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

I don't dare smell the stuff...
Don't knock it until you've tried it.

My 5 litre cask of Gabutti Malbec costs about the same and it's very drinkable.
Then again it's Argentine.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Yes indeed

Though I will say mature Lynch Bages has traded at a high premium long, long before the Chinese came barging in. When I first got into wine speculatively in the early 2000s I ended up buying Lynch Bages because after 10 years it priced more like a super-second than a fifth. And the 1989 is a 99+ Parker score compared to the 91 rated Las Cases (which personally I have always found overpriced versus the likes of Ducru or even Gruaud in St Julien - which happens to be my absolutely favorite wine region). Though I am surprised you got more than you did for first growths (the RP100 Haut Brion 89 looks like it trades around 4x the price of 99+ Lynch Bages)

Anyway I am sure that was a good trade for you ^
I've got just a couple of bottles left of each of Lynch Bages 82, Leoville LasCases 82 and Mouton 81. Of the three, the Lynch Bages is my favourite, by a considerable margin. However, I got more enjoyment per $ out of a 3litre box of Italian Sangiovese I bought last summer from K&L for $18 and drank with my kids and their friends on a lovely hot summer's evening.....
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
If you remember and have time, please do come back and tell us how there bottles are drinking. Performance of 30+ year old reds is something of great interest to me. I assume you have these in temperature/humidity controlled environments...? Original corks still on all these bottles...?

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Gaucho - Had the 64 Latour and a 90 Mouton Rothschild last night after starting with my new favourite Riesling 2012 Long Shadows Poet's Leap.

1964 Grand Vin De Chateau Latour, Pauillac - Wow ^ shocked honestly, cork was in excellent shape still very solid with excellent seal in the neck. Red ~90% of the way up the cork, fill still above shoulder. Strained and decanted, heavy sediment - at least 1" wide along the whole side it was laying on. Initial strong nose of blackcurrant, honey, dark cherry and some purple fruit, very deep red with rusty rim in the glass. Initial taste ~15 mins in was a bit tight, some black tea and quite a bit of fruit left. After another hour or so it really came into it's own, slight leather, musty damp forest floor, still some black tea, cedar cigar box but still with some surprisingly youthful fruit. Medium body with soft, silky tannins.

Without question one of the best wines I've had but in it's own way - naturally can't compare a 50 year old Bordeaux to a great Aussie Shiraz - but still excellent. Best of the lot of old Bordeauxs that we picked up.

1990 Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Pauillac - 4th of 5 bottles we had of this vintage. Cork a bit soft and crumbly but still well sealed fill above shoulder, looked essentially full. Probably 2nd best of the bottles opened so far - no real discernible differences in the bottles but a definite difference in the quality. Again strained and decanted for about 45 minutes, slight sediment. Initial stank wet, green barnyard that lifted to be very green, some minerality, with dust and tobacco taking over. Gorgeous colour, much more lively and young that the Latour, as expected, deep red to purple. A bit thin, all the bottles we've opened from this lot has been lighter than I'd like but this one felt like it was at nearing the end of it's life - some plum, blackcurrant, blueberry type fruit left but fading away to tobacco, cedar and some sorts of soft underlying spices but still quite green. Tasty, typical Bordeaux with some years under its belt, a good bottle but outshined by its company.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
All my top wines have been drank already. But I really like Ruffino Chiantis.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:19 pm

Thank you for sharing your tasting notes..... ^ ^ ^

Please let me know if you are ever down in EZE, we need to meet up and drink some wine.... Have you had a chance to taste some of the top quality Malbecs and Malbec blends from this neck of the woods...?

Cheers from EZE,
Gaucho100K

Originally Posted by alpen1
Gaucho - Had the 64 Latour and a 90 Mouton Rothschild last night after starting with my new favourite Riesling 2012 Long Shadows Poet's Leap.

1964 Grand Vin De Chateau Latour, Pauillac - Wow ^ shocked honestly, cork was in excellent shape still very solid with excellent seal in the neck. Red ~90% of the way up the cork, fill still above shoulder. Strained and decanted, heavy sediment - at least 1" wide along the whole side it was laying on. Initial strong nose of blackcurrant, honey, dark cherry and some purple fruit, very deep red with rusty rim in the glass. Initial taste ~15 mins in was a bit tight, some black tea and quite a bit of fruit left. After another hour or so it really came into it's own, slight leather, musty damp forest floor, still some black tea, cedar cigar box but still with some surprisingly youthful fruit. Medium body with soft, silky tannins.

Without question one of the best wines I've had but in it's own way - naturally can't compare a 50 year old Bordeaux to a great Aussie Shiraz - but still excellent. Best of the lot of old Bordeauxs that we picked up.

1990 Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Pauillac - 4th of 5 bottles we had of this vintage. Cork a bit soft and crumbly but still well sealed fill above shoulder, looked essentially full. Probably 2nd best of the bottles opened so far - no real discernible differences in the bottles but a definite difference in the quality. Again strained and decanted for about 45 minutes, slight sediment. Initial stank wet, green barnyard that lifted to be very green, some minerality, with dust and tobacco taking over. Gorgeous colour, much more lively and young that the Latour, as expected, deep red to purple. A bit thin, all the bottles we've opened from this lot has been lighter than I'd like but this one felt like it was at nearing the end of it's life - some plum, blackcurrant, blueberry type fruit left but fading away to tobacco, cedar and some sorts of soft underlying spices but still quite green. Tasty, typical Bordeaux with some years under its belt, a good bottle but outshined by its company.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:27 pm
Suspended

I just sold two bottles of Burgundy through my broker to a Chinese buyer for ridiculous prices:

A 1990 J.F Mugnier Musigny that I bought directly from the domaine in France for around $120 in 1993 sold for $975,

And an Henri Jayer Nuits Meurgers from the mediocre 1986 vintage, that I had bought at auction for under $100 around 20 years ago sold for $1600.

Apparently, Jayer's wines have such a cult following, and he being dead and thus not producing any more, that even lousy years are selling for well into 4 digit prices that put DRC wines to shame.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Some wines added up (Gaucho100K, the '07 Bodega Chacra Pinot Noir Cincuenta y Cinco was very nice), and now I need to space them out
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by DLroads
Some wines added up (Gaucho100K, the '07 Bodega Chacra Pinot Noir Cincuenta y Cinco was very nice), and now I need to space them out
If you liked the Cincuenta y Cinco, wait until your try the Treinta y Dos..... ^
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
If you liked the Cincuenta y Cinco, wait until your try the Treinta y Dos..... ^
Sure will!

Now I have a 'first world problem'- which wine(s) should I bring from storage for the holiday season? (real first world problem). Already made a decision that we will try the 1970 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou this season. For the rest, I am not sure...
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:34 am

I organized a tasting of 18 top malbecs for a group of Hong Kong based "whinos" yesterday at a high end dead cow place.... it was a very long evening with a lot of very good Malbec. I created three different categories, according to the price of the bottles. Here are the winners....

Value Malbecs
Gold Medal - Escorihuela Gascon Pequenias Producciones Malbec
Silver Medal - Rutini Coleccion Malbec
Bronze Medal - Jorge Catena Zapata Ricominciare Altisimo Malbec

Premium Malbecs
Gold Medal - Catena Zapata Angelica Zapata Malbec Alta
Silver Medal - Matilde Lamadrid Single Vineyard Malbec
Bronze Medal (tie) - Rutini Antologia XXXI and Mendel Finca Remota SV Malbec

High End / Cult Malbecs
Gold Medal - Rutini Apartado GRAN Malbec
Silver Medal - Parcela 26 Malbec
Bronze Medal - Cobos Malbec Marchiori Vineyard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.