Wiki Posts
Search

The top wines in your cellar

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
This is always an inspiring thread.

For those of you with verticals: how much do the tastings affect your attitude to the rest of that vertical?
Would you be inclined to sell/trade if it's not up to your expectation (or sell for a nice profit if it's exceptional)?

I tend to buy by the case, of wines I enjoy through tasting, but generally don't buy every vintage in order to begin or maintain a vertical line.

Ergo, my decision process is much simpler.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by BiziBB
This is always an inspiring thread.

For those of you with verticals: how much do the tastings affect your attitude to the rest of that vertical?
Would you be inclined to sell/trade if it's not up to your expectation (or sell for a nice profit if it's exceptional)?

I tend to buy by the case, of wines I enjoy through tasting, but generally don't buy every vintage in order to begin or maintain a vertical line.

Ergo, my decision process is much simpler.
I personally believe that each vintage differs, so one bad vintage out of six good ones won't affect my perception that much. Of course I take into account any changes in winemaker, blend, and vineyard source too. A string of bad wines (in my opinion) might give me pause, but since I taste each wine before I buy for my verticals, I feel that I already know how good it is.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Forgive the impertinent question... but what is the current market rate for a 2006 Sassicaia...?
for someone in the business, or someone extremely interested in wine, a subscription to

http://www.wine-searcher.com/

pro version is quite worth while.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Forgive the impertinent question... but what is the current market rate for a 2006 Sassicaia...?

Mi Amigo. High $160's - almost $200... and so not worth it.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Gracias Dan..... thats quite high but in all honesty not as expensive as I thought... these days prices are ALL nuts.....
Old Nov 26, 2009, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Mi Amigo. High $160's - almost $200... and so not worth it.
It's no 1985.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Hmmm, just found this thread.

Top 5 in my cellar are:

1947 Petrus
1961 Pape Clement
1968 Vega Sicilia Unico
1988 Yquem
2000 Margaux

I've tasted all but the Petrus, and right now the Vega is at the top.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:32 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Hmmm, just found this thread.

Top 5 in my cellar are:

1947 Petrus
1961 Pape Clement
1968 Vega Sicilia Unico
1988 Yquem
2000 Margaux

I've tasted all but the Petrus, and right now the Vega is at the top.
Impressive list.... Im a 68 vintage myself, so I was wondering how that vintage was overall in Spain... I cant say Ive had much Bordeaux that was any good from that year.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:21 am

cool thread! Just had our 'last' family thanksgiving and between me, my parents, and family we decided to just cut loose with some bottles. My brother just graduated culinary school so we tasked him with cooking and over three nights openend some right good plonk.

off the top of my head
mine:
1975 Riussec
1988 Riussec
1983 Vieux Telegraphe
2006 GoldDigger Cabernet
2007 GoldDigger Pinot Noir
parents:
1988 Yquem
1970 Marguax (wines dead but pretty label)
dbl mag of 1978 Petrus (ohhhhh man)
1968-1972 Vertical of Domaine Armand Rousseau, Gevrey Clos St Jacques

Still building my personal cellar, hey I am only 25!, My personal favorites right now are my brand spanking new four cases of 2007 Rhones. Hopefully they will be great, but its personal as my wife and I got engaged on a trip there where we got to watch some of of the 2007 harvest.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: AY Lumo.
Next time you fly through HEL, stop by at the Wine & View bar in Terminal 2.
They also have Krug by the glass, which is nice.
Turns out, they no longer offer Krug by the class. It was replaced by...Louis Roederer Cristal. Price is 40€ per class.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by hermanni
Turns out, they no longer offer Krug by the class. It was replaced by...Louis Roederer Cristal. Price is 40€ per class.
CX tries to give me Krug by the glass, but I generally persuade them to do it by the bottle

Sadly most airlines have stopped serving Krug (understandably so given the recent pricing), but now even bars? Presuming 3 glasses per bottle, that isn't a bad price for Cristal (but I rather suspect HEL is 5 glasses per bottle; hellish indeed ... maybe SIN does better?).
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:53 pm

Has SQ also dropped Krug from F...?????
Old Dec 15, 2009, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
CX tries to give me Krug by the glass, but I generally persuade them to do it by the bottle

Sadly most airlines have stopped serving Krug (understandably so given the recent pricing), but now even bars? Presuming 3 glasses per bottle, that isn't a bad price for Cristal (but I rather suspect HEL is 5 glasses per bottle; hellish indeed ... maybe SIN does better?).
8 oz pours??

although reidel claims some 11.5 oz flutes, most are 9-10 oz.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Just grabbed four more bottles of the 2005 Don Melchor Really excited! Also snagged a couple of 2000 Leoville Las Cases to hold onto till 2015 or so.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Impressive list.... Im a 68 vintage myself, so I was wondering how that vintage was overall in Spain... I cant say Ive had much Bordeaux that was any good from that year.
68 was a fabulous year in Spain. Also extremely good in California Cabernet. Bordeaux, on the other hand, had one of its worst years in history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.