Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The top wines in your cellar

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by DLroads
Maybe there should be a new category
"The top wine in your cellar that you won't feel bad about drinking at home with a casual dinner tonight, even if others would say it is one that should be opened for a better reason"
Start your own thread.

dh
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Start your own thread.

dh
No thank you... it's hard enough to follow this one ^
I am running into a storage problem. BTW- do you want to buy some pierre paillard 2004 and 2008? (they just docked those)

I need to work the storage at the micro cellar to a level of 1-2 bottles of what I plan to drink soon, and put the rest in a remote storage (Edited: A friend just 'allowed', after I twisted his arm to use a space in his place for up to 24 bottles)

Last edited by DLroads; Jul 23, 2013 at 2:24 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
BTW- do you want to buy some pierre paillard 2004 and 2008?
I'm good. Thanks for asking Oddz.

dh
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Just found this thread too...Currently the best I'm sitting on is a 64 Latour and a couple bottles of 74 and 78 Lafite...followed closely by a bottle of 2011 Little Penguin ::
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:37 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by alpen1
Just found this thread too...Currently the best I'm sitting on is a 64 Latour and a couple bottles of 74 and 78 Lafite...followed closely by a bottle of 2011 Little Penguin ::
If you remember and have time, please do come back and tell us how there bottles are drinking. Performance of 30+ year old reds is something of great interest to me. I assume you have these in temperature/humidity controlled environments...? Original corks still on all these bottles...?

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'm good. Thanks for asking Oddz.

dh
At your service. I may get few more 2005 Château Doisy-Daëne (because ms. dlroads liked it alot). But, I decided to slow down/freeze the micro cellar growth. (So, I'd lock to a size of up to three cases for a while- up to two in storage, up to one at home).

Last edited by DLroads; Jul 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
If you remember and have time, please do come back and tell us how there bottles are drinking. Performance of 30+ year old reds is something of great interest to me. I assume you have these in temperature/humidity controlled environments...? Original corks still on all these bottles...?

Thanks,
Gaucho100K

I will certainly do so, they are original corks that are in pretty good condition, a bit of mold on 1 but levels in the bottles are high...they're being kept at 60*f in a wine cooler and doing best to maintain humidity, it's hard to keep it away in this climate, they were previously in a temp and humidity controlled cellar but they're now close to being opened so are at the house.

We had a couple bottles of 1982 L'Evangile that were excellent from the same storage so I have high hopes, then again we had a 78 Lafite that was very average too so we'll wait and see.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AA: EXP, SPG: Gold
I have 2003 Halo that I just got. Not sure when the best time is to drink it.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:22 pm

Expended Alsace collection because ms. dlroads really enjoys some wine from the area with few Domaine Weinbach-
'02 Pinot Gris Altenbourg SGN, '06 Gewurztraminer Grand Cru Mambourg SGN and '06 Gewurztraminer Grand Cru Furstentum SGN (could not decide between the last two, so I ended up getting them both). I should finish with few big projects I have on my 'plate' and maybe arrange a little dinner, and a big vacation.
Edited:
I got a wine for Ms. dlroads birthday dinner (1970 Ducru-Beaucaillou) and now I am concerned that I am either really raising the bar too high (expectations), or that the wine may be post the peak (though by cellartracker it is in the beginning). On the other hand, why should one wait more to drink it?

Last edited by DLroads; Sep 9, 2013 at 8:26 pm
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:17 am

Storage

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for small wine storage coolers. The emphasize is on the small (~24 bottles, maybe up to 30), ideally fits under a table, etc.

The micro-cellar (ex. fireplace) at home is nice, but is (a) small (b) small. I do purchase wine in places that give me some complementary storage but I did the math and the ratio of drank to purchase is not 1 to 1. A friend will be giving me some space in his 'cellar' but I guess I want to be on a safer side.

*Yes, I am sure some of you are willing to store few champagnes or cabs for me Its not that I don't trust you...
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:41 am

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for small wine storage coolers. The emphasize is on the small (~24 bottles, maybe up to 30), ideally fits under a table, etc.

The micro-cellar (ex. fireplace) at home is nice, but is (a) small (b) small. I do purchase wine in places that give me some complementary storage but I did the math and the ratio of drank to purchase is not 1 to 1. A friend will be giving me some space in his 'cellar' but I guess I want to be on a safer side.

*Yes, I am sure some of you are willing to store few champagnes or cabs for me Its not that I don't trust you...
I use this one,

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/h.../RW33EBSS1/XEU

but I can't seem to see it on Samsung's US website. It doesn't have humidity control, but for the price its fine and doesn't make any real noise (at least when on the red setting, 15 degrees centigrade).
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: A few
I sold most of my top Bordeaux holdings (China bubble will burst...), but am still holding on to a case each of Montrose and Leoville Barton from 2000. Problem is they are stuck in a cave in Oxfordshire so unless I move back to the UK (unlikely) I face shipping issues or having to sell them to buy some alternatives here in the USA
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I sold most of my top Bordeaux holdings (China bubble will burst...), but am still holding on to a case each of Montrose and Leoville Barton from 2000. Problem is they are stuck in a cave in Oxfordshire so unless I move back to the UK (unlikely) I face shipping issues or having to sell them to buy some alternatives here in the USA
Interesting to read your note on the China Bordeaux bubble......

It is perhaps noteworthy that the Chinese market is/was known to pay top dollar for all the 1st growth vintages, even the notoriously poor ones. Has this changed any...?

I haven't been following this wine market closely as of late, but if you had some more insight as to why you feel its a bubble about to burst, I would be very interested....

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Interesting to read your note on the China Bordeaux bubble......

It is perhaps noteworthy that the Chinese market is/was known to pay top dollar for all the 1st growth vintages, even the notoriously poor ones. Has this changed any...?

I haven't been following this wine market closely as of late, but if you had some more insight as to why you feel its a bubble about to burst, I would be very interested....

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Nothing other than the realization as I get later in life that all bubbles burst eventually.... gosh back in the UK in the mid-2000s I actually found myself thinking "this time it's different" with respect to the economic conditions and housing market. Woe fool me. I have no insight into when or why, but for sure high end Bordeaux investment today is a bet on the Chinese economy continuing to sore, which of course can't go on forever. Particularly if you are looking at stuff that is really getting driven up in price by the China/Parker combination like Lynch Bages and Pontet Canet (no matter how genuinely great the improvements those houses have made - when a certain market segment is paying through the nose for those wines and then mixing them with Coke to drink, you know it can't last forever)
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:23 am

I realized that one of the stores I work with provide very good storage rate (23 dollars a case a year). Given that I don't have 60 cases, it makes more sense to let them store it for me and just buy mini ref. for home. I minimized the search to about 5-6 options. None are the perfect solution, or even the ideal but all are within a good combination of size and cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.