Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The top wines in your cellar

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Without commenting on the specific 98 vintage, which as stated above I have yet to taste, in my experience the drinking windows of most all top French wines are grossly exaggerated. Its if the last (and only) thing that France wants to do the best than any other wine region is to make wines that will last "forever"....
I'm a fan of aged wines, and have found that Bordeaux from great vintages (like 2010) taste best to me with 15+ years on them. In a vintage like 1998, 10-15 years should bring out those beautiful secondary and tertiary tones that take time. Before then, the tannins are just far too distracting for me. Some people like tannic wines, so aging wines isn't a big deal and that's fine.

Personally, I think a lot of wines can last far longer than most people think. Some recent bottles of 1978 Cru Beaujolais (Vissoux), 1961 Musigny (Berry Brothers), 1937 sauternes (La Tour Blanche), 1952 & 1959 Champagne (Pol Roger), were all showing wonderfully. I don't think France WANTS to create wine that takes forever to mature, that's just bad business. Just look at the stylistic changes in the wines of Bordeaux and the Rhone over the past 20 years. They're all much more fruit forward and accessible in their youth. The changes have been purposeful as it allows them to be easier to enjoy young.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
I think '98s will be a vintage to drink in the 10-20 year time range.
I accept your sage advice, since you know what you're talking about.
Old May 28, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
'86 Mouton Rothschild...so great.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:01 am

73 Latour is a favourite, but i'm pretty much all over 82 First Growth Bordeaux's. I think Margaux and Latour are the best value in the price range, Latife can get expensive.

Got a lot of very good stuff, but falling short on what i would call excellent and really interesting wine.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...wnload-5-1.jpg
Old May 31, 2013, 11:07 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by lighting
73 Latour is a favourite, but i'm pretty much all over 82 First Growth Bordeaux's. I think Margaux and Latour are the best value in the price range, Latife can get expensive.

Got a lot of very good stuff, but falling short on what i would call excellent and really interesting wine.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...wnload-5-1.jpg
Looks very nice.... ^
Old May 31, 2013, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Hmmm, just found this thread.

Top 5 in my cellar are:

1947 Petrus
1961 Pape Clement
1968 Vega Sicilia Unico
1988 Yquem
2000 Margaux

I've tasted all but the Petrus, and right now the Vega is at the top.
Nice to revisit this thread

I still have at least a bottle of each of the above left, except the 88 Yquem, but since have added to top wines:

64 Cheval Blanc
75, 76, 90 Yquem
89 Haut Brion & Haut Brion Blanc (Palais de l'Elysee)

And a couple Coche Dury & Roumier.

Those are the never-touch except for very special occasion wines.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by oenophilist
64 Cheval Blanc

I have to wonder how that is drinking......
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have a wine in my wine cooler that I'm sure is no good anymore. I just could never bring myself to drink it. My husband received a bottle of Harlan Estates 1992 Napa Valley red wine. It came as a hostess gift for my husband's 40th birthday. I just loved the label, so I never drank it. Crazy...
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by traveler4ever
I have a wine in my wine cooler that I'm sure is no good anymore. I just could never bring myself to drink it. My husband received a bottle of Harlan Estates 1992 Napa Valley red wine. It came as a hostess gift for my husband's 40th birthday. I just loved the label, so I never drank it. Crazy...
How would you feel if I told you that it's worth $700-800 if it's in good condition?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
That's what I was told about years ago! THAT'S why I never brought myself to drink it I have no idea if it's any good any more but it's label is really nice
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
That's what I was told about years ago! THAT'S why I never brought myself to drink it I have no idea if it's any good any more but it's label is really nice
The wonderful thing about your situation is that the label will still be lovely AFTER you drink the contents of the bottle.

That said, unless you have had even basic proper storage for this wine (cool, dark, non-fluctuating temperature in the 60's or lower) this wine needs to be enjoyed now. If it's in a closet somewhere at room temps, you could easily be on the downside already. If it has been in your wine cooler all this time that's better. Regardless, I'd drink it soon - nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost by pushing it beyond the twenty year mark...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by geo1005
The wonderful thing about your situation is that the label will still be lovely AFTER you drink the contents of the bottle.

That said, unless you have had even basic proper storage for this wine (cool, dark, non-fluctuating temperature in the 60's or lower) this wine needs to be enjoyed now. If it's in a closet somewhere at room temps, you could easily be on the downside already. If it has been in your wine cooler all this time that's better. Regardless, I'd drink it soon - nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost by pushing it beyond the twenty year mark...
I agree... a 92 Harlan should by no means be "dead" unless its been subject to poor storage conditions. Has it always been in your wine cooler...?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:30 am

Your better half has some cool friends..... that's one nice gift !!! ^
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
The only one really worth a special highlight is probably a '83 Domaine Weinbach Gewurztraminer Sélection de Grains Nobles. There is a '09 Château Haut-Bailly that will be the top one in few years, but it so far sits in a cooler, away from home, and waits...
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Maybe there should be a new category
"The top wine in your cellar that you won't feel bad about drinking at home with a casual dinner tonight, even if others would say it is one that should be opened for a better reason"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.