FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The top wines in your cellar
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:19 pm
Gaucho100K
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thank you for sharing your tasting notes..... ^ ^ ^

Please let me know if you are ever down in EZE, we need to meet up and drink some wine.... Have you had a chance to taste some of the top quality Malbecs and Malbec blends from this neck of the woods...?

Cheers from EZE,
Gaucho100K

Originally Posted by alpen1
Gaucho - Had the 64 Latour and a 90 Mouton Rothschild last night after starting with my new favourite Riesling 2012 Long Shadows Poet's Leap.

1964 Grand Vin De Chateau Latour, Pauillac - Wow ^ shocked honestly, cork was in excellent shape still very solid with excellent seal in the neck. Red ~90% of the way up the cork, fill still above shoulder. Strained and decanted, heavy sediment - at least 1" wide along the whole side it was laying on. Initial strong nose of blackcurrant, honey, dark cherry and some purple fruit, very deep red with rusty rim in the glass. Initial taste ~15 mins in was a bit tight, some black tea and quite a bit of fruit left. After another hour or so it really came into it's own, slight leather, musty damp forest floor, still some black tea, cedar cigar box but still with some surprisingly youthful fruit. Medium body with soft, silky tannins.

Without question one of the best wines I've had but in it's own way - naturally can't compare a 50 year old Bordeaux to a great Aussie Shiraz - but still excellent. Best of the lot of old Bordeauxs that we picked up.

1990 Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Pauillac - 4th of 5 bottles we had of this vintage. Cork a bit soft and crumbly but still well sealed fill above shoulder, looked essentially full. Probably 2nd best of the bottles opened so far - no real discernible differences in the bottles but a definite difference in the quality. Again strained and decanted for about 45 minutes, slight sediment. Initial stank wet, green barnyard that lifted to be very green, some minerality, with dust and tobacco taking over. Gorgeous colour, much more lively and young that the Latour, as expected, deep red to purple. A bit thin, all the bottles we've opened from this lot has been lighter than I'd like but this one felt like it was at nearing the end of it's life - some plum, blackcurrant, blueberry type fruit left but fading away to tobacco, cedar and some sorts of soft underlying spices but still quite green. Tasty, typical Bordeaux with some years under its belt, a good bottle but outshined by its company.