Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Favorite cheeses / where to find?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
"Anybody know of someone making a good "American cheese"? ""
So many wonderful wonderful American cheeses out there!
I just tried some from Colorado,Texas has some fantastic cheese makers-and of course California has a long history of artisinal cheese.
The only problem of course is our reluctance against raw milk.while pasturization adds to the safety of dairy products it means that we will never be in the same league as other countries.Actually new EU resrictions mean that many of the best cheeses of the world might have to be sold on the black market.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:11 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
So William YOU are the person that is buying this

When I was running a fancy food shop we had a standing order for this cheese,which came packed 6 to a case.
The person soon cut back their order and at one point I had to say sorry because I was throwing out 4 for the 2 they purchased.
So unless you used to shop for cheese in San Francisco(?)you do have a fellow gjetost lover out there!
LOL. It is probably not a widely-known cheese outside those with Norwegian origins. I was turned onto it early in life by one of them. As a result, sometimes it can be hard to find. For instance, here in Austin, I buy it now at the Central Market off South Lamar, but they don't carry it at the one off North Lamar. Never seen it anywhere else in Austin other than Hickory Farms in Highland Mall.

Currently running at $9.48/lb, by the way. I bought a 1/2 pound block in December and it will probably last me through February as you really don't slug through this like other cheeses. Four or five paper-thin slices with a surface area of 1.5" x 2" at a sitting is really quite satisfying...for me anyway.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uncertain, I don' t know where you are in texas, but Dallas has a thing called "Central Market". they are in a number of texas cities

http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/cmLocation.jsp

very big store very big cheese selection. go there, and have someone working there who knows cheeses put together your collection with a theme. can be all spanish, italian, british, french, or all something or another.

If no big store in town,, find the specialty shop as mentioned before.
label the cheeses. name,country of origin, perhaps a bit of taste comment.

since you are having finger food, might add smoked salmon and a few pate's also.

if having wine, consider white, as it tends to go better with cheese. a good chenin blanc is a good choice, as is a good reisling.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space has been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 8:48 am
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:29 pm

Lebanese specialties...

...for a little variety and a definite contrast.

Labneh, a soft white cream cheese that is often topped with olive oil.

Shankleesh, an aged cheese, more crumbly in texture and reminiscent of the stinkiest Roquefort you may have ever eaten. LOL. Sometimes served with chopped tomatoes, herbs, and onion.

Either one is usually accompanied by zatre bread, which I loathe personally.

Note: The spelling of these cheeses is more or less a transliteration of Arabic, so...

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 9, 2008, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
"Anybody know of someone making a good "American cheese"? ""
So many wonderful wonderful American cheeses out there!
I just tried some from Colorado,Texas has some fantastic cheese makers-and of course California has a long history of artisinal cheese.
The only problem of course is our reluctance against raw milk.while pasturization adds to the safety of dairy products it means that we will never be in the same league as other countries.Actually new EU resrictions mean that many of the best cheeses of the world might have to be sold on the black market.
Sorry, BigGuy, I should have made the joke more obvious -- I know there are tons of amazing cheeses made by American cheese makers -- the Vella Dry Jack I mentioned is among them, as is the goat cheese coming out of Capriole Farms. It's some of the best in the country (and they are deeply committed to raw milk cheeses). I'm fortunate that they are close enough to me that the owners set up shop at my local farmers market all summer long. ^

Since I had mentioned a "fancy" Gouda and a "fancy" Monterey Jack, I was (facetiously) asking if anyone knew of a fancy "American cheese" (i.e. the processed cheese-like substance that is sadly passed off as cheese in deli cases around the country). Would aging a Kraft Single make it subtle and complex?

My comment was made as a slight against the realm of processed cheese food products, not as a slight on American-made cheeses in general. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I'm planning to go to their Houston store.
Ok-for those of you who might not have ready access to a cheese store or fancy food store there is a website I have used called egourmet.com
You can access it via most of the airline shopping portals.
They are a food importer/negotiant and have a very nice selection of cheeses-and you get miles also.

But nothing like going into a real cheese store.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:56 pm

"My comment was made as a slight against the realm of processed cheese food products, not as a slight on American-made cheeses in general. Sorry for the misunderstanding."
No ofense taken at all.
One of the most exciting things-and really the thing that made me want to come to work every morning-was getting folks away from the mass produced cheeses-and yes there are plenty of mass produced/heavily processed "fancy" imported cheese out there.Most of us are familliar with a goat cheese from france called Montrachet.It is produced from dried milk and frozen curds and never sees human hand till it is unpacked at the market.And yet phoney food snobs think it is someting great.This is just one of many European cheeses that now(thanks to the dollars decline)sell for huge prices in the US.

I am so glad I am not lactose intolerant-that would be hell for me.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by slawecki
...if having wine, consider white, as it tends to go better with cheese. a good chenin blanc is a good choice, as is a good reisling.
I agree with the suggestion of the Riesling for almost all cheeses, but with a strongly flavored mold cheese, I generally prefer a hearty red.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
I agree with the suggestion of the Riesling for almost all cheeses, but with a strongly flavored mold cheese, I generally prefer a hearty red.
What?!?, No champagne? LOL. My head hurts just thinking about it.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:25 pm

Wow. I thought I knew a lot about cheese. I'm disappointed in myself as I'm feeling pretty ordinary about now. I guess it's true that we do love our cheese. I've noticed a lot of resturants in the last six months have even put Mac & CHEESE on their menu's. I guess because it's a comfort food people are interested (Maybe they can start making a great bowl of Tomato Soup to go with it).
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Norwegian gjetost. A firm, dark brown cheese made from both cow's and goat's milk. Has a caramel-like, nutty flavor. Best served in as thin a slice as you can manage.

There's a family story about my mother (many years ago) convincing some of her younger siblings to eat Fels Naphtha soap by telling them it was gjetost...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by rmagritte
Capriole Farms. It's some of the best in the country (and they are deeply committed to raw milk cheeses). I'm fortunate that they are close enough to me that the owners set up shop at my local farmers market all summer long. ^
Hey rmagritte, may I ask which farmers market you are talking about? I think we may be neighbors. But I didn't know the capriole cheese was available at one of the local farmers markets -- would love to know where to look. Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by monitor

Sauternes
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:58 pm
Original Member

Since we are making specific cheese recommendations, I'll add my favorites (which can be found at fromages.com ):

Comte (I think the best hard cheese in France)

Bleu d'Auvergne -- a great blue cheese

Epoisses de Bourgogne -- considered by many the king of cheeses

Reblochon - extra creamy

Selles sur Cher -- great goat cheese, particularly heated just a bit to melt it on a cracker (12-15 seconds in the microwave)

Saint Nectaire -- just a great all around cheese.

And just for some variety, I'm a real fan of Manchego (which has to have some quince with it!)

And it's generally red wine for me with my cheeses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.