Consolidated "Favorite cheeses / where to find?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Favorite cheeses / where to find?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The best cheese store I have ever found is in Southern California. The Cheese Store in Beverly Hills stocks every possible cheese one could ever wish for or dream of.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Norwegian gjetost. A firm, dark brown cheese made from both cow's and goat's milk. Has a caramel-like, nutty flavor. Best served in as thin a slice as you can manage.
To me it tastes like caramel and goat's cheese got married and had a baby
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: HA Gold, Wn CP, US Silver, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circle*, HH silver,
I love the fruited Stilton available at Trader Joes. Our local store usually has apricot and/or cranberry. Its sweet & buttery. Goes well with a simple water cracker. They also carry an herbed goat cheese log that alway gets raves when I serve it.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by WineIsGood
To me it tastes like caramel and goat's cheese got married and had a baby
You're correct. It's a cooked product, made by boiling goat's milk, cream, and whey; and the heat of cooking carmelizes the milk sugars, giving the cheese it's characteristic color and flavor. ^ ^
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
The best cheese store I have ever found is in Southern California. The Cheese Store in Beverly Hills stocks every possible cheese one could ever wish for or dream of.
Never been there but Artisanal in NYC is a great place.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:20 am

Seems the OP isn't very interested in cheese after all
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Maybe the OP isn't interested, but the rest of us no doubt have benefited from the suggestions made in this thread. I for one am now experiencing a pang of cheesy "homesickness" for our 2-year sojourn in Paris, the best part of which, I think, was the cheese. (We used to tell people that although I moved to France for work, my husband moved for the cheese.)
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space has been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 8:48 am
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:39 am

Who Cut The Cheese: a wine and specialty cheese store 1279 S. Kihei Rd., Maui, Hawai'i

http://www.whocutthecheese.net/
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by Anthemflyer
I love the fruited Stilton available at Trader Joes. Our local store usually has apricot and/or cranberry. Its sweet & buttery. Goes well with a simple water cracker. They also carry an herbed goat cheese log that alway gets raves when I serve it.
We enjoyed a Lemon Stilton (found @ WholeFoods) on NYE. It had a lightly candied lemon peel in the cheese, with a nice mix of sharp stilton, tangy lemon and sweetness from the candying.

We also had a sharp gouda that was nice.

A piece of a good Parmesan can give people who are less adventurous a familiar way to dive in.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:08 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
This article might be of assistance
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive...aufort_dt.html
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Norwegian gjetost. A firm, dark brown cheese made from both cow's and goat's milk. Has a caramel-like, nutty flavor. Best served in as thin a slice as you can manage.

I usually just shave off a few paper-thin slices and let them melt in my mouth, but I suppose they would go well on Wheat Thins if you actually needed something to serve it on.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

So William YOU are the person that is buying this

When I was running a fancy food shop we had a standing order for this cheese,which came packed 6 to a case.
The person soon cut back their order and at one point I had to say sorry because I was throwing out 4 for the 2 they purchased.
So unless you used to shop for cheese in San Francisco(?)you do have a fellow gjetost lover out there!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
So unless you used to shop for cheese in San Francisco(?)you do have a fellow gjetost lover out there!
It's big in the upper midwest!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geitost
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:53 am

I will second the vote for aged Gouda -- it's familiar, yet surprisingly different. Along those same lines, Vella's dry Monterey Jack cheeses are excellent, firmer than what you think of when you think of Monterey Jack cheese, and much, much better tasting, too. I can get the "special select dry" locally and it's one of my favorites.

...it might be fun to try to put together a tasting of cheeses that are variations on "standard" cheese -- find a "classy" version of a Gouda, Jack, Cheddar and so on, just to explore the full range of possibilities even in the basic cheeses. Anybody know of someone making a good "American cheese"?

If you like cheeses with additional flavors thrown in, sage derby is one of our favorites, and it's readily available, but there are a large range of qualities out there, so it may take a little experimenting. I'm also a fan of Red Dragon, a Cheddar made with ale and mustard seeds that has lots of flavor and is great for casual snacking with crackers and a beer.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
there is a FANTASTIC book by Steve Jenkins called The Chese Primer-highly suggested.
Ten Cheeses is a lot for a cheese board-things start to get confused.
The classic suggestion is,one soft ripened (Brie/camembert or one of its sisters)one good Chevre(try to get away from the "american cream cheese"varieties)one blue,one washed rind,one hard/semi firm cheese.
you can throw in a triple cream(those who love St. Andre try Exploreteur or Brillat Saverin)and if this if for a cocktail party rather than dessert a flavored cheese is nice.A good chedder is nice for those that are not adventurous.
I garnish with a variety of nuts and. dried fruits as well as Spanish quince paste and Italian fig spread.
The world of cheese is so very vast and wonderful that even I-who have been at this for over 20 years!-make new discoveries every time I visit a cheesemongers shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.