Consolidated "Favorite cheeses / where to find?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Consolidated "Favorite cheeses / where to find?" thread

Deleted deleted deleted

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Nov 26, 2008 at 8:27 am
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:29 pm

Fontina (from Spain) is my favorite. Available at Trader Joes, Costco, probably most places. It would (in my uneducated opinion) be a cousin to Gouda -- which I am also very fond of

And, of course, everyone loves brie (soft & creamy) -- right?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS, UA, BA, Hyatt, Amtrak, AF
So many cheeses...where to start? I'm a big fan of aged Gouda. A hard cheese, with a sharper flavor than unaged Gouda. Flexible- good on pizzas, grated on pasta, sliced with sourdough. I also like Roaring 40's blue (Australian, I think). It has a softer flavor than other blue cheeses.

If you like strong (or "stinky," as my children say) cheese, then I'd recommend Chimay. It's a semi-soft cheese made with Chimay beer. Good strong flavor, great with a crusty loaf of bread! Mmm.

Experiment and have fun!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Following Brewgal, it seemed only appropriate to mention some of the suggestions for beer and cheese pairings (beer works much better than wine with cheese).

Here are some suggestions from cookbook author Lucy Saunders.

Here's a 2005 article in the San Francisco Chronicle on the subject.

And finally, suggestions for cheeses from Fred Eckhardt, the "dean of American beer writers".
Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It of course would depend on the wine and food you are serving with it, but one of the ones I like that many people haven't tried (unless you have a room full of italians) is ricotta salata, solid ricotta.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
And, of course, everyone loves brie (soft & creamy) -- right?
Try Saint Andre--sort of Brie+
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Orchids
Try Saint Andre--sort of Brie+
luscious with crackers and quince paste!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Try a high end grocery store

depending where you are, if you can find a high end / gourmet grocery shop, they should have at least one cheese expert on staff who can give you recommendations based on what they have available. Dean and DeLuca, Oakville grocery, Draegers are all good in northern California, not sure what options you'll have in Texas (Whole Foods, maybe?)?

For online sources, try www.cowgirlcreamery.com . That's what I use to send cheeses to my parents, who live in a gourmet food-deprived area in Georgia (the state, not the country).

Bob

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I'm looking to expand my understanding of cheese(s) beyond the usual Cheddar, Colby, Swiss, etc.

So, for an upcoming event, I'm planning on buying 10 or so different types of cheeses to try out. I don't want to buy anything I've already had before (although a Manchego may accidently get on the shopping list), but given how limited my experiences with cheese(s) are, this shouldn't be hard to accomplish. Price is not a huge concern, nor is what kind of milk the cheese is made from. However, I don't want to buy 10 types and end up hating them all.

Accordingly, I need some help. What are your favorite cheeses and can you briefly describe the flavors of each?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:43 pm
In memoriam

One of the very best cheeses I have had is Delice du Bourgogne which I have only seen at Costco during the holidays. It is, apparently, not a traditional cheese from France, but a new invention. Very rich smooth, buttery with a wonderful flavor. You might still find some at your local Costco. Keeps for a month or so if unopened.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
I'm a fan of smoked gouda, along with dill havarti - a softer, milder cheese.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:55 pm
Original Member

Buy one of the cheeseboards from www.cheese-online.com , which will ship you cheese directly from France. Trust me on this, it will be the best cheese you can get. We order it frequently, and it is the most talked about and desired item at our annual law firm holiday party.

If you want recommendations for particular cheeses, feel free to PM me, or e-mail me.

But their Soiree cheeseboard (10 different cheeses) should more than satisfy for your event.

I have no affiliation with fromages.com , just a very satisfied long-time customer.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
It is, apparently, not a traditional cheese from France, but a new invention. Very rich smooth, buttery with a wonderful flavor.
It's not traditional in the rustic sense, but was likely created in the 18th century. Not an overly new invention.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Fontina (from Spain) is my favorite.
Fontina is from Italy, the Aosta Valley in the Italian corner between Switzerland and France. It has a similar texture to young Gouda (semi-hard cheese).

One of my favourites... Brie de Meaux. Some claim it is the best brie. Meaux is east of Paris, west of Reims, more or less. I also like gorgonzola, parmigiano reggiano, gruyere, cheddar, stilton... I could go on.
--
13F
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Following Brewgal, it seemed only appropriate to mention some of the suggestions for beer and cheese pairings (beer works much better than wine with cheese).

Here are some suggestions from cookbook author Lucy Saunders.

Here's a 2005 article in the San Francisco Chronicle on the subject.

And finally, suggestions for cheeses from Fred Eckhardt, the "dean of American beer writers".
Mmmm, two of my favorite things... beer and cheese... "Cheese, Gromit, cheese!"

Pairing beers and cheeses can be very wonderful!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I concur that you find a small gourmet food shop or cheese specialty shop and consult the "cheese whiz" for suggestions. They will usually let you sample and help you make an interesting selection for your cheese tasting party. One of my my favorite cheeses available at most supermarkets is Parrano Originale It has the alluring, nutty flavor of a fine aged parmesan with the versatility of a young gouda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.