Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Fat Burger or In-and-Out Burger?

Fat Burger or In-and-Out Burger?

Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, HH GLD
IN-n-Out all they way...... the company is still family owned, hence why you probably only find it in California, parts of Nevada and Arizona. All this reading made me hungry.. I am heading there now!

FutureCEO1982
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
The east coast has seen the entry of regional chains like Fatburger and What-A-Burger, yet no In-N-Out. Is there a reason, such as quality control? Needless to say, I would welcome the entry of In-N-Out into Florida...
It's family owned, no franchises. I would guess it would become umanagable if it were to expand any more and they'd have to change the business model. Why mess with success?
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:45 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by 2lazytothinkofname
It's family owned, no franchises. I would guess it would become umanagable if it were to expand any more and they'd have to change the business model. Why mess with success?
There is a very messy public "family" feud going on right now, that the Los Angeles press has been having fun reporting on:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ostemailedlink {registration may be necessary}

In-N-Out Burger Inc., the Irvine company known for its Double-Double and its customers' intense devotion, is embroiled in a family feud, according to a lawsuit.

Richard Boyd, In-N-Out's vice president and a board member, has accused 23-year-old heir Lynsi Martinez and others of trying to accelerate her takeover of the popular family-owned burger chain.

Boyd contends that Martinez and allied corporate executives have attempted to force out Esther L. Snyder, the family matriarch, company president and a board member, who is 86 and in poor health, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles County Superior Court. Martinez is the only grandchild of Snyder, who opened the first drive-through In-N-Out stand in 1948 with husband Harry Snyder.

The lawsuit reads like a corporate soap opera in which Boyd, a longtime employee and co-trustee of nearly two-thirds of the privately held company's stock, is the lone impediment to an alleged attempt by Martinez to engineer a coup and install top management that would expand the chain too quickly. Boyd also accused Martinez, In-N-Out Vice President Mark Taylor and others of attempting to wrongly fire Boyd from In-N-Out and his trustee positions.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Craig6z
There is a very messy public "family" feud going on right now, that the Los Angeles press has been having fun reporting on:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ostemailedlink {registration may be necessary}
The situation at In-N-Out Burger was also the subject of a story in today's Washington Post.

Returning to the original discussion I'll cast my vote for Fatburger vs. In-N-Out by pointing out that I've been to a Fatburger once, but I try to get to an In-N-Out every time I'm on the West Coast.

(I could complicate things by mentioning the Burgerville chain based in Portland, Oregon -- but I won't.)
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:15 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
I vote for In N Out but

here's a Fatburger tip. Ask them to chargrill it (there's a separate section on the grill for that). Helps improve the taste.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Okay, I did another taste test and trial this weekend.

In-N-Out -- 11 minutes in drive-thru from 1:22 to 1:33. Parking lot full, order taker going down the drive-thru line taking orders before you got to the window. Single with cheese, fries and coke less than $5. Yummm. Fries weren't as good as I remember.

Fatburger -- ordered by phone at 12:15, walked in at 12:25 (no drive thru at this location). About 8 people in the restaurant, although the other restaurants in the area were hopping. Single WITHOUT cheese, fries and coke $7.10. I had to fill my own drinks. Still don't like their fries - taste like they have been soaked in a salt solution before frying. Burger had fried rather than grilled taste, but was otherwise okay.

That was my second, and last, visit to Fatburger.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
INnOut burger without any doubt. Where else can you get a double double, animal style and only have to wait 2 minutes before it is grilled to perfection?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:23 am

Easy answer for me, In N Out burger. Always happy to go there when I visit the west coast.

However, I do like the onion rings at Fat Burger.

Really need either on the east coast though.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:27 am

In and Out for me
I grew up in So Cal so it was a regular stop during high school and College
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:06 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
I wish I saw this thread before my trip to the SF Bay Area (arrived in SJC and departed OAK), just for the secret menu. However, I was told on another forum I frequent to give In-And-Out a try. I am happy I did. I am taking a trip to PHX soon, so a stop at an In-N-Out is on my itin. I have not been to Fatburger, as the closest locations to me are in North Jersey and Western PA.

[off topic]But if any of you have been to Char Hut in South Florida, there is a treat for you![/off topic]
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
In-n-out. Double Double Animal Style. No question, the best in the world.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:14 pm

more from the secret menu....

Don't forget "XXX" (extra everthing). A regular hamburger can end being 5" in height.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat / HH Diamond
^ In-N-Out all the way

....and I'm from Chicago, so it's only a couple times a year for me.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
40 years of In -N -Out! Hamburger, add pickles, hold onions. Simple, fresh, fabulous. Relatively low cal. Yummmmmmm!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
You can't go wrong either way!!!!! You shouldn't limit yourself to one.

A native Angelino I grew up on Fatburger, and just recently came to understand the gospel of INO.

Cable vs Sat
BMW vs Mercedes Benz

Your good either way.

But to get off of the fence taste of meal only I will cast my vote for Fatburger - I love the fat fries and the extra sweet Ketchup - breaks the tie for me.

But for Value, quick and consisitent service - INO

There is a great degree of variation in Fatburger which can disappoint, and many of the locations were closed on my last four trips to LA in 2005.

Although I was surprised that the Fatburger in Jersey City, NJ isn't very far off the mark.

Maps

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.