Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
11 Madison Park shocks me, only because we use to go there a lot for lunch, it is near the old office, and the $28 two course price was nice for a special occasion. I never would have guessed it would be considered that good, though.
Old May 1, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Well I've just booked Iggy's in Singapore during a June trip so maybe the list is good for something

KiwiPanda
Old May 1, 2010, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Hmm. I like 11 Madison, but I think it is the third best restaurant in that building.

This list gets goofier and goofier in my opinion. Not without value but definitely a bit eccentric.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
The world's top 100 restaurants

Don't know if this has been posted before, but here is the list for 2010.

http://www.theworlds50best.com

How many have you been to?

Personally -- NONE !!
Old May 19, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Hadn't seen this but it's mostly a good list (I might disagree with one or two restaurants).

I would estimate I've been to 15% of the list, if not more. Two of my all-time favorite restaurants, Tantris and Steirereck, are on it.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:03 am
hkn

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, Jumeirah Sirius, Tablet Plus,
Originally Posted by maarit
Now it will even harder to get reservations for Mathias Dahlgren in May! But I wonder if they rate his Matsalen, Matbaren, or both?
They are most likely to rate the Matsalen, the more formal area which holds two Michelin stars.

The Matbaren, with one Michelin star, is not a bad alternative. It's probably one of the nicest settings where you can have dinner in Sweden. My review and images here: http://www.guidebook.se/?p=640

:: h ::
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Just saw this article on Noma in BA Highlife. http://www.bahighlife.com/Food-And-D...e-to-Noma.html
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:03 am

I am always amused and annoyed by such lists.
What are the qualifications of the "judges"?
What is this based on?
I worked at one of the greatest restaurants in the world (and on their list) and can tell you this list is total crap.
As an parallel example, I am a professor of neurology in a major medical school, so obviously I know my stuff in this field. Every year the US and World Report publishes a list of the best doctors. Their list of best neurologists is always a joke. They once cited my buddy as the best MS doctor in the country and I really gave him a hard time over this. He had no idea why this magazine picked him.
The point I am trying to make is that great restaurants and neurology are extremely complicated issues which require years of the correct education to master.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by ente_09
What is this based on?
I worked at one of the greatest restaurants in the world (and on their list) and can tell you this list is total crap.
Who cares?

Most industry people (regardless of industry) will always tell you "best" lists are crap. JD Powers, for example.

But, short of a replacement, I'm always interested to read them for ideas.

It's better than Zagat.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
What is this based on?
As an parallel example, I am a professor of neurology in a major medical school, so obviously I know my stuff in this field. Every year the US and World Report publishes a list of the best doctors. Their list of best neurologists is always a joke. They once cited my buddy as the best MS doctor in the country and I really gave him a hard time over this. He had no idea why this magazine picked him.
The point I am trying to make is that great restaurants and neurology are extremely complicated issues which require years of the correct education to master.
Great restaurants require years of correct education to master? Can you explain that?

Let us guess! You're also the best poster on FlyerTalk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPXcQixLF8Q
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:31 pm

We gotta go with something

What is this based on?
I do see your point of who judges and how these are arbitrary calculations. However, we gotta go by something. Word of mouth is just too hard these days. Even websites like yelp are criticized for their false reviews, etc. So we gotta have a list from somewhere.

I also see what you're saying about the medical field. Mayo clinic is always, year after year, ranked #2 in the country by US news. There are really very few "famous" doctors are Mayo. It's a good place, but each individual doctor may not be that famous. Mass General, Brigham, Columbia, etc are lower ranked, but these institutions have world-famous physicians there. Only Johns Hopkins has both a famous reputation as a hospital and has famous physicians to support that reputation.

So rankings can be inherently flawed. I see your point. But we gotta use something as a guide, right?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Great restaurants require years of correct education to master? Can you explain that?

Let us guess! You're also the best poster on FlyerTalk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPXcQixLF8Q
No reason to be defensive.

I am only trying to say that although anyone is entitled to have an opinion, the only ones I would value are those that come from people with a proven background/expertise in whatever is being discussed. The most valuable restaurant recomendations I have received are from great chefs, not foodies or magazines
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Travel magazines are inherently biased because they write what they are paid to write and they don't generally possess journalistic ethics. However individual opinions do matter, even if they come from people who aren't in the restaurant industry. The opinions of the experts only matter to other experts. The opinions of a colleague or a neighbor that I trust matter a great deal more. And the opinions of random unknown travelers can sometimes give us a clue about a place. If you read between the lines well.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Who who's been to Gary Danko would choose The French Laundry before it?
I don't know.. I've eaten at both restaurants and the experiences were both enjoyable, but very different. I think if I were to chose for another evening, I might go with GDs partly because of the location (FL is just waaay out of the way), and partly because it's a bit more relaxed feeling.

But honestly at the level this list is talking about, you should have a wonderful experience whether you go to the top five or the bottom five... they should be exemplary, both in food and dining experience.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:36 pm

How do you mean?

Originally Posted by gleff
But Daniel at #8?

How do you mean about Daniel? Should it be higher or lower? I assume lower, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.