Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:13 pm

Thank you

Yes I have read this article prior to posting.

Do you all agree with this article / michelin ?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Thank you

The 2 times that I went there, frankly I wasn't impressed at all. It was just a regular meal, nothing to write home about.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
The 2 times that I went there, frankly I wasn't impressed at all. It was just a regular meal, nothing to write home about.
Maybe I was lucky and my parents as well.

Per my experience, the only thing that was not consistent is the mint chocolate which sometimes have different taste. (I have asked them for a doggy bag while there and also asked to give a doggy bag of mint chocolates to my parents)

"Gordy" NY is probably the only time that I e-mailed Michelin US to rave about my experience.

Seems that Michelin US got my e-mail wrong

Maybe I just have some bad food taste, which is clearly impossible as I'm French
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond

Maybe I just have some bad food taste, which is clearly impossible as I'm French
Hahaha... I've had some good food, but I've had more bad food in Paris... I can say that as well, since I live here.

Maybe we should compare restos...
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:23 am

Hahaha... I've had some good food, but I've had more bad food in Paris... I can say that as well, since I live here.

Maybe we should compare restos...
Yes I like Hooters, too bad there is none in France . At least you have an excellent view from every seat

Have you been to l'astrance lately ? I was there few times when it was only 2 stars and it was very good. (it's fun not to know when the meal will end)
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:28 am
Suspended

Seems that Michelin US got my e-mail wrong
Or perhaps some of the diners at the reviewer's table drank too much stout, and as a result, the Michelin reviewer thought that their dining experience stunk.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I like Hooters, too bad there is none in France . At least you have an excellent view from every seat

Have you been to l'astrance lately ? I was there few times when it was only 2 stars and it was very good. (it's fun not to know when the meal will end)
Lately, no. My last experience there was meh, so I haven't bothered going again. Frankly I really get tired of sitting after an hr or so. No more patience.

As for Hooters, haven't been to, am a chick so I don't need visuals.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:35 am

Thank you

Never been to that restaurant. Gordon Ramsay is a chef who needs to either decide that he wants to to be a restauranteur or TV personality. His restaurant empire is a mixed bag-as he also lost his stars, and eventually his contract, at the Claridge's restaurant.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Never been to that restaurant. Gordon Ramsay is a chef who needs to either decide that he wants to to be a restauranteur or TV personality. His restaurant empire is a mixed bag-as he also lost his stars, and eventually his contract, at the Claridge's restaurant.
Yes you're right and that's true for several big chefs.
the food is good & tasty in his place.

Less true for the Ducasse empire

Just my 5 cents
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:22 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Now that you know my taste, any restaurant in Chicago ? if possible close (ideally at a walking distance) from the Waldorf
I'm happy to make Chicago dining recommendations, but unfortunately haven't eaten at any of the restaurants you mentioned. If you give me some specific details that you are/are not looking for, I will do my best!

(FWIW, the Waldorf is a great hotel--and I really enjoy Balsan, which is located in the hotel--but restaurants in the neighborhood generally trend toward inexpensive places designed to appeal to legions of tourists. There are certainly some exceptions, but the neighborhoods that are dining destinations are usually further away.)
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'm happy to make Chicago dining recommendations, but unfortunately haven't eaten at any of the restaurants you mentioned. If you give me some specific details that you are/are not looking for, I will do my best!

(FWIW, the Waldorf is a great hotel--and I really enjoy Balsan, which is located in the hotel--but restaurants in the neighborhood generally trend toward inexpensive places designed to appeal to legions of tourists. There are certainly some exceptions, but the neighborhoods that are dining destinations are usually further away.)
Chgo chick, I think more of the style of the one we talked about, forgot the name. That kind and style of food.. This is what I get from all the ones he mentioned. What is it called again Alinea I think.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Chgo chick, I think more of the style of the one we talked about, forgot the name. That kind and style of food.. This is what I get from all the ones he mentioned. What is it called again Alinea I think.
Alinea, Next and The Aviary are the three restaurants (though Aviary is more of an upscale bar with food) owned by Chef Grant Achatz and his business partner Nick Kokonas.

Alinea recently did a restaurant swap with Eleven Madison Park, if that gives you an idea of the food. It's the only restaurant in Chicago that has three Michelin stars, though it recently fell from #7 to #15 in the San Pellegrino's 50 Best Restaurants list. As with Next, they use a ticket system (prepay) for reservations. It's a prix fixe menu, and last time I was there it featured 16-20 courses.

Next is the restaurant that changes concept every four months. It's currently in its last iteration for 2013: Bocuse D'Or, an homage to the cooking competition. (Achatz has served as a coach for the US competitor.) Previously this year we had The Hunt and Vegan. Last year's themes were El Bulli, Sicily and Kyoto.

Other Michelan-starred restaurants:

Two Stars:
Graham Elliot
L2O

One Star:
Acadia
Blackbird
Boka
Everest
Goosefoot
Longman & Eagle
Mexique
Moto
NAHA
Schwa
Sepia
Sixteen
Spiaggia
Takashi
Topolobampo
Tru

That's the list released in Nov. 2013, so we're expecting a new announcement within the next couple weeks. Sure to be on it is Chef Curtis Duffy's restaurant Grace, which opened within the last year. I have not yet eaten there, but in terms of food and atmosphere, it is my understanding that it is most similar to Alinea.

If you're looking for upscale food in a formal, hush-hush kind of environment, then Everest, Spiaggia, Sixteen, Tru and L2O are probably the other places you'd consider.

If you'd consider fantastic prix fixe meal in a more intimate but interactive environment (tables in the kitchen, guests at other tables talk to one another) consider EL Ideas or Elizabeth.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:05 pm

I wasn't successful in getting a reservation at Alinea last month but I did eat at Everest. I thought it was solidly deserving of its star. Also ate at Topolobampo, but that's a completely different type of restaurant.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I wasn't successful in getting a reservation at Alinea last month but I did eat at Everest. I thought it was solidly deserving of its star. Also ate at Topolobampo, but that's a completely different type of restaurant.
Frankly, I am tired of those haute cuisine places. I ate at so many, that after a while I just want a down to earth very well cooked meal.

Have no more patience of sitting for 3-4 hrs, I get bored and just want to be done with.. I guess it just shows my age.

Alinea, and 11 Mad, had an exchange of cooks. I went when the Chicago guy was at 11, yes interesting, he uses the table etc etc.. Was invited to go when Mad went to Chicago, but I've had enough...
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Alinea, Next and The Aviary are the three restaurants (though Aviary is more of an upscale bar with food) owned by Chef Grant Achatz and his business partner Nick Kokonas.

Alinea recently did a restaurant swap with Eleven Madison Park, if that gives you an idea of the food. It's the only restaurant in Chicago that has three Michelin stars, though it recently fell from #7 to #15 in the San Pellegrino's 50 Best Restaurants list. As with Next, they use a ticket system (prepay) for reservations. It's a prix fixe menu, and last time I was there it featured 16-20 courses.

Next is the restaurant that changes concept every four months. It's currently in its last iteration for 2013: Bocuse D'Or, an homage to the cooking competition. (Achatz has served as a coach for the US competitor.) Previously this year we had The Hunt and Vegan. Last year's themes were El Bulli, Sicily and Kyoto.

Other Michelan-starred restaurants:

Two Stars:
Graham Elliot
L2O

One Star:
Acadia
Blackbird
Boka
Everest
Goosefoot
Longman & Eagle
Mexique
Moto
NAHA
Schwa
Sepia
Sixteen
Spiaggia
Takashi
Topolobampo
Tru

That's the list released in Nov. 2013, so we're expecting a new announcement within the next couple weeks. Sure to be on it is Chef Curtis Duffy's restaurant Grace, which opened within the last year. I have not yet eaten there, but in terms of food and atmosphere, it is my understanding that it is most similar to Alinea.

If you're looking for upscale food in a formal, hush-hush kind of environment, then Everest, Spiaggia, Sixteen, Tru and L2O are probably the other places you'd consider.

If you'd consider fantastic prix fixe meal in a more intimate but interactive environment (tables in the kitchen, guests at other tables talk to one another) consider EL Ideas or Elizabeth.
Thank you so much for this great list and tips

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.