Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I find these lists interesting to read but I wouldn't base too much on them, so many external factors can affect a position. I've been to a lot of these and I can't say I agree too strongly with the positions. I was at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay (my personal favourite) and Alain Ducasse in Paris during September and dined at The French Laundry a couple of days ago. I did have the pleasure of dining at El Bulli and though it is remarkably innovative I just didn't enjoy the food as much as RGR in London. Then again, my preference is shaped by my love of Ramsay
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Love Per Se
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, TAM Fidelidade, Delta Skymiles
El Bulli will always be the number 1 for me. Unforgettable experience...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

william reed is s publisher of a dozen or so mags that serve as advertisers for the food and alcohol trade in great Brittan. as a resource for study and valuable info, they rank right up there with conde naste.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
This list still surprises me. Many of the top ones are quite over-stylized for my taste, and some I consider better are not included. The criteria for inclusion may well include the use of some of the most overpriced Italian water around, might it not? As much as I enjoy all of those I have been to I cannot in all honesty put Per Se, The Fat Duck or St. John on my list of best restaurants in the world. Some like Eleven Madison Park, Quay, WD-50 and Le Chateaubriand would not even be on my list of the best in their respective cities, much less the world. Certainly these lists must be arbitrary and equally i am certain they are all fine places, anyway the ones I know are, but it does not seem at all objective to me.

The list will not influence my travels but I'll still go out of my way to try the ones I have not been to just to ensure I can have informed opinion.

Who who's been to Gary Danko would choose The French Laundry before it?
Who would choose Per Se above Le Bernardin? Oops, he who desires to pay more, that's who.

El Bulli, sadly, will be gone but I'm preparing to travel to go to the replacement whenever and wherever it opens.

Agreed. Le Bernardin has some of the best striped bass you will have anywhere in the world.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Hmm. I like 11 Madison, but I think it is the third best restaurant in that building.

This list gets goofier and goofier in my opinion. Not without value but definitely a bit eccentric.
pretty bad considering there are only 2 restaurants in the building, unless you count the cafeteria at credit suisse
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B500 Safari/531.21.10)

Originally Posted by dan88
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Hmm. I like 11 Madison, but I think it is the third best restaurant in that building.

This list gets goofier and goofier in my opinion. Not without value but definitely a bit eccentric.
pretty bad considering there are only 2 restaurants in the building, unless you count the cafeteria at credit suisse
I was counting Tabla and Tabla Bread as two different restaurants. They had different menus most of the time they were there. Both are now gone though.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:19 am

World's Best Restaurants 2013-2014

Good morning! The list just came out (http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners/) and no surprise, many Hotel Restaurants are featured. How does this affect your travel planning? Once again, Mandarin Oriental seems to have a great representation (London, Landmark HK). Congratulations to my favorite Brand!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Interesting list with some surprises. I´m not so much after this list, I´m more after the Michelin (also their are some strange ratings). But it affects my travel plans a little. If I can choose between 2 hotels, I take the one with the interesting restaurant. On the other hand if I´m in a city like London or New York I have to eat a few days out, because their are so many restaurants. So the hotel itself is always most important.

P.S. For example London (Dinner by Heston) is very special. I don´t know if it really deserved a place at the top 10.

Last edited by offerendum; Apr 30, 2013 at 6:01 am
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by offerendum
Interesting list with some surprises. I´m not so much after this list, I´m more after the Michelin (also their are some strange ratings).
My perspective is similar. On the top 100, in the US, I noticed only one restaurant outside New York and the SF Bay Area. Quite a few in HK, mostly in the hotels. And a decent number from Singapore, though surprisingly few in Tokyo. The list seems weighted to Europe (not saying unfairly, just saying numerically).
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:22 am

Interesting list... I tend to trust Michelin and Zagat more.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:03 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Wink San Pellegrino - just water

Originally Posted by Blackbook
Interesting list... I tend to trust Michelin and Zagat more.
Indeed, Michelin remains consistent and trustworthy even being a little bit conservative.

This said the San Pellegrino list is much questionable with a panel of 936 "experts" who chose each 7 restaurants. Rather a lottery and a marketing event.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:53 am

I don't think many people take the Pellegrino list very seriously, though of course it's always interesting on a 'you-can't-be-serious' level. After all, it is only a marketing exercise and has the same validity as one of those Conde Nast hotel Gold List things. As for Michelin, I think the European guides still have credibility (apart from Italy) though many people are highly sceptical about their guides for the US and Japan where I never go. And Michelin is painfully slow to react to anything and of course it's total rubbish as far as hotels are concerned.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:14 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I don't think many people take the Pellegrino list very seriously
This.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias
As for Michelin, I think the European guides still have credibility (apart from Italy) though many people are highly sceptical about their guides for the US .
I mostly know NYC-Restaurants and Michelin never guided me wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.