Napa/Sonoma favorites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Napa/Sonoma favorites?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Paula_Miller
John Ash & Co. (in the Vintner's Inn) in Healdsburg is lovely...the dining room is literally plopped down in the middle of a vineyard.
John Ash is in Santa Rosa
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Also posted this in the other Napa/Sonoma thread that's gone around. There are a couple interesting pieces that have appeared about Sonoma, in particular Healdsburg, in the past couple days:

From the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/03/dining/13sonoma.html?

There's also this piece from this month's Wine Enthusiast:

http://www.winemag.com/issues/aug05/sonoma.htm
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (finally!!), but sadly no longer 1K
Cyrus in Healdsburg is absolutlely top notch !! (Chef and Maitre d' are ex-Gary Danko). IMO, as good as French Laundry, without the "attitude".

Other favorites are Terra in St. Helena and Mirepoix in Windsor

Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.6MM, UA 1K GS 1.6MM
New restaurant - Budo in Napa

French Laundry and Mustards are great but last evening I experienced a new restaurant in Napa that has the potential to be one of the best, if not the best. Budo is located at 1600 Soscol and it is spectacular for the architecture (it was purpose built for this restaurant) and the food is unbelieveable. Hard to describe but it is something like French/continental meets Asia. Had a wonderful John Dory (hard to find in the US) with ****akke mushrooms and a sake reduction sauce. I recommend this without any qualification. Also, because it is less than a year old it is not overbooked and you will have a good chance to get a reservation. It has great reviews and I think it is going to be featured in this months Food and Wine magazine (Aug 05). Across the parking lot is the River Terrace Inn which is a nice hotel at a reasonable price. Not 5 star but really nice.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:23 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by danpic
Wow! Nobody mentioned Brix. You can have a wonderful meal sitting on the patio as the sun goes down eating nothing but appetizers from the menu. And their wine list has a load of values. Just reminded myself of this last weekend!

-Dan
We couldn't make it to the restaurant on our visit, but we attended one of the downtown Napa cooking sessions with Brix' exec chef, Ryan Jackson. All I can say is, ^ ^
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kman
Cyrus in Healdsburg is absolutlely top notch !! (Chef and Maitre d' are ex-Gary Danko). IMO, as good as French Laundry, without the "attitude".

Other favorites are Terra in St. Helena and Mirepoix in Windsor.
It's been a while since I've been able to get back on the forums, unfortunately, and a full Sonoma report (very long) will be coming. But I have to say -- enthusiastic thumbs up to Cyrus for being an ultimate dining experience. Top-notch all around.

Mirepoix, however, I think had the best food of our trip. The place is astonishing!
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (finally!!), but sadly no longer 1K
Originally Posted by gutt22
It's been a while since I've been able to get back on the forums, unfortunately, and a full Sonoma report (very long) will be coming. But I have to say -- enthusiastic thumbs up to Cyrus for being an ultimate dining experience. Top-notch all around.

Mirepoix, however, I think had the best food of our trip. The place is astonishing!

Glad you liked my advice !

(I love it when I'm right !! )

Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:28 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
The Girl & the Fig in Sonoma

Not haute cuisine, but one of our favorite places while staying at the Lodge at Sonoma.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Any thoughts on Hurley's or Pilar? And I want to choose between Bouchon and Brix for a lunch - have seen mixed reviews on Bouchon but FTers seem to like (from this thread) - any specific LUNCH insights? Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:28 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I think Bouchon does a great job for both dinner and lunch. Hurley's doesn't really excite me too much. It's good, but not up to Bouchon or the Jeanty establishments.

My favorite is the Martini House in St. Helena. Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen there is also good.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the info - will try Bistro Jeanty & Pilar (for dinners), and Brix (for lunch) - and will report back next week!
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen there is also good.

I have to agree! Had a great meal there last night. I highly recommend the duck! ^
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:35 pm

Just returned - all the meals were great - Bistro Jeanty, Pilar (relatively new, near the mill in Napa), and Brix...and Bouchon Bakery is awesome!
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:29 pm

tdo-ca, Glad you enjoyed some of the recommendations here. Napa can be a deadly place once you find all of the right places to go.

I think I had foie gras three different times over the course of a weekend one time. Then there was the desert AND cheese course after every meal. And the trips to Dean and Deluca for "snacks". And of course, breakfast at Bouchon - The Grand Plateau (or tower of seafood as we like to call it) washed down with a bottle or two of champagne. I pretty much have to give in to my gluttony when I'm there.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by dukeman
I have to agree! Had a great meal there last night. I highly recommend the duck! ^
I seem to remember having a duck hamburger there for lunch one day. Fantastic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.