FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Napa/Sonoma favorites? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/330210-napa-sonoma-favorites.html)

gutt22 Jun 17, 2004 2:43 pm

Napa/Sonoma favorites?

I'm about to head off for another relaxing week in Napa and Sonoma. Anybody have some favorite restaurants to recommend? My wife and I adore Domaine Chandon, Celadon, ... oh, really, too many to list! But we're always looking for somewhere new.

rfrost Jun 17, 2004 3:57 pm

I haven't been anyplace new. My favorites remain French Laundry, of course, (big,big) if it's reopened and you can get in, La Toque, Bistro Jeanty, Tra Vigne.

res820 Jun 17, 2004 4:08 pm

Have you tried Don Giovanni's? It is located on the main road north?? of Napa, about 3-4 miles after the shopping Outlet mall.

This is my favorite place for lunch, have not tried dinner.

Have a wonderful trip!

Rita

number_6 Jun 17, 2004 6:03 pm

There really is no contest, it is the French Laundry (by far). Otherwise better to go to Oregon and the Willamette valley which is slowly wresting the great wine/food mantle away from Napa. Quite an accomplishment given the much lower funding there (it also means you get thrice the food/wine in OR).

cordelli Jun 17, 2004 6:45 pm

Tra Vigne, I love that place. Someday I'll even order something other then the risotto. We get reservations every time we head out there.

For breakfast, while the place is a dive, the food is great, and they give you a ton of it, the Schenville Diner just as you enter the valley by the triangle the firestation is on.

francophile Jun 17, 2004 9:01 pm

Auberge du Soleil

http://www.aubergedusoleil.com/html/restaurant.shtml

Request a table on the terrace.

kluau88 Jun 17, 2004 11:04 pm

Mustard's Grill

http://www.mustardsgrill.com/main.htm

General's Daughter

http://www.thegeneralsdaughter.com/

Sweet Willie Jun 18, 2004 6:44 am

There have been some Napa/Sonoma restaurant ideas posted in the San Francisco Forum which is below in the section titled: “Travel&Dining : Featured Destinations”

Some mentioned are: Restaurant at Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa Valley, Mustard's Grill, Tra Vigne, French Laundry.

As well as threads on which vineyards to visit.

Enjoy.

gutt22 Jun 18, 2004 7:41 am

We love Bistro Don Giovanni. Last time we were out there, I remember seeing Jerry Rice come over from Raiders' training camp, which was happening nearby. It was very funny. Anyway, thanks for all the tips -- the French Laundry is high on my list as a must-see place. I've wanted to go there so badly. All these suggestions are making my mouth water at the prospect of this trip!

And going to Oregon's wine country is a trip I desperately want to make. I prefer the style of Pinot Noir they make there.

So many good things to look forward to ... thanks FTers!

Just Passing Thru Jun 18, 2004 10:28 am

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but I absolutely love to take a basket and a blanket to V. Sattui, select some fruit, cheese, bread and perhaps a little something-something (pasta salad? roasted garlic?) from the prepared foods case in the delicatessen, choose an appropriate bottle of wine, and then head for the lawn.

Spread out the blanket and spread out the goodies. People can pick and choose, grazing their way through the picnic arrangement It's simple and tasty, and if the weather is pleasant, all the better. I've done this twice with a group of co-workers, and it was a hit both times.

cordelli Jun 18, 2004 10:39 am

We always do a lunch at Sattui, it's a great place for a picnic. We are usually lucky enough to get a table. Then across the street, pay the five bucks at Prager Port and have ports for desert.

It can get a bit crowded though.

estnet Jun 18, 2004 12:22 pm

Julias at Copia was quite nice - and the gardens are pretty and educational as well ;)

gutt22 Jun 18, 2004 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Just Passing Thru
This probably isn't what you're looking for, but I absolutely love to take a basket and a blanket to V. Sattui, select some fruit, cheese, bread and perhaps a little something-something (pasta salad? roasted garlic?) from the prepared foods case in the delicatessen, choose an appropriate bottle of wine, and then head for the lawn.

Precisely what we're looking for! Last trip out, we missed V. Sattui, and we're making it a point to go back to enjoy a picnic there. We love grabbing sandwiches at the Oakville Grocery or another place and just sneaking a quick lunch before continuing on our merry tasting way.

I've also heard that Julia's at Copia has really turned the corner in the last year under the new chef.

suthurn Jun 18, 2004 12:54 pm

Had a great meal on a beautiful courtyard at: Della Santina's Trattoria -just off the plaza at 133 E. Napa St., Sonoma.

While in Sonoma be sure to buy some dry jack at Vella Cheese Company, 315 Second Street East, Sonoma, CA.

Love Tra Vigne, but spouse says we've gotta try someplace else next trip to wine country. Lagniappe: Merryvale tasting room next door is open later than most tasting rooms.

Never been to Bistro Don Giovanni despite repeated encouragement from tasting room staff - maybe I'll take spouse...

I like to buy olives, meats, cheeses & bottled water at Oakville Grocery or Dean & Delucca and snack between stops rather than "do lunch".

For a wild!! ride try the Oakville Grade over the mountains separating Napa & Sonoma vallies. It ends at the Oakville Grocery on Hwy 29.

danpic Jun 18, 2004 4:16 pm

Wow! Nobody mentioned Brix. You can have a wonderful meal sitting on the patio as the sun goes down eating nothing but appetizers from the menu. And their wine list has a load of values. :) Just reminded myself of this last weekend!

Tra Vigne is good, but their pizzaria in the Inn at Southbridge (next door) could use some work; I found it better as Tomatino.

-Dan