Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Catching up on the California (e.g. everything ex-San Francisco) release...glad to see Providence stayed at 2 stars. I went to Kato last year and absolutely loved it - was a steal for $75/person. I have wanted to try n/naka for some time, but it's a really tough place to get a reservation at, and I don't think I will make it anytime soon, sadly. I will hit up Dialogue in a couple weeks - excited about that. One place that I really enjoyed - but I can see why Michelin reviewers, given their tendencies towards being snooty, wouldn't give a star to - was LSXO in Huntington Beach. I absolutely loved that spot when I went for dinner.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:17 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Catching up on the California (e.g. everything ex-San Francisco) release...glad to see Providence stayed at 2 stars. I went to Kato last year and absolutely loved it - was a steal for $75/person. I have wanted to try n/naka for some time, but it's a really tough place to get a reservation at, and I don't think I will make it anytime soon, sadly. I will hit up Dialogue in a couple weeks - excited about that. One place that I really enjoyed - but I can see why Michelin reviewers, given their tendencies towards being snooty, wouldn't give a star to - was LSXO in Huntington Beach. I absolutely loved that spot when I went for dinner.
I highly recommend Somni—and I won’t be surprised if it or n/naka eventually hit 3 stars. I can see Vespertine potentially getting there, too. We are returning to Providence next month for the first time in several years to see what they got cookin.

We plan to try for n/naka once the summer craziness ends. We did Urasawa before it changed locations, and it was stupendous—but we can’t say we really love omakase for the most part.

In the meantime, since we live in OC, we’ve got Taco Maria next week and Hanare the following week; both are restaurants we love. We also loved LSXO but I can’t see it getting a star. Same with my other OC favorites, Basilic and Marche Moderne.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:35 pm

LSXO got a Bib Gourmand.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:40 pm

I know I'm from New York, so I should have an opinion - but anyone have a strong opinion on a non-sushi 1-star Michelin restaurant in NYC? We're in our last 10 weeks before we have a baby that will make it a little more challenging to get into these spots - so looking for spots to hit up before it'll become a much more special occasion than it feels like now.

(I didn't ask for any 2 or 3-star spots because we've basically been to all of them)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I know I'm from New York, so I should have an opinion - but anyone have a strong opinion on a non-sushi 1-star Michelin restaurant in NYC? We're in our last 10 weeks before we have a baby that will make it a little more challenging to get into these spots - so looking for spots to hit up before it'll become a much more special occasion than it feels like now.

(I didn't ask for any 2 or 3-star spots because we've basically been to all of them)
Gramercy Tavern 😎

I’ve heard Del Posto is great, but never been myself. And I’d like to hear more consistent reports from L’atelier and Le Grill de Joel Robuchon before I go.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:11 pm

L'appart! Last time I ate there I was also with a pregnant friend, and they offered her this "non alcoholic wine"! Basically grape juice made from some fancy variety of French grapes; she said it was the best grape juice she's ever tasted and can no longer drink Welch's. There were some fish in the menu that were not pregnancy-friendly, but the chef was very accommodating with any swaps she asked for.

Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:21 pm

I went to L'atelier last month with very low expectations, and overall I'd say they were exceeded. Food was good, as in every dish was well executed with good ingredients, but nothing was particularly exciting or memorable. Main course was choice between beef and quail, we got both and quail was the clear winner. Service was polite, but not particularly warm or personal. I think the experience was more on par with a 1-star restaurant.

Originally Posted by United747
And I’d like to hear more consistent reports from L’atelier and Le Grill de Joel Robuchon before I go.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by United747
Gramercy Tavern ��

I’ve heard Del Posto is great, but never been myself. And I’d like to hear more consistent reports from L’atelier and Le Grill de Joel Robuchon before I go.
We went for lunch just last weekend - agreed it is great I have been to Del Posto as well (it was right before the current chef took over), and it was excellent as well. We had made reservations for Joel Robuchon, but we ended up canceling at last minute and going somewhere else. I'm sure it's good, but another Michelin-starred French restaurant...there are more than enough of those already

We did also go to Contra last weekend for dinner, and it is still excellent as always and still a steal at $89/person for their tasting menu.
United747 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:26 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

We've been to Taco Maria many times, but last night was the first since they received their Michelin star earlier this month. Still as amazing as we remember. Incredibly tasty and unusual flavors and textures with surprisingly wonderful wine pairings yet again. Highly recommended. Only $79 for the four course tasting menu, and just $39 for the wine pairings.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: some
I just had my first 100 points dinner at Ultraviolet in Shanghai (Pierre Pairet) menu C+, which at US$850 per person was actually superb value.

Wow, this was truly amazing.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fliar
which at US$850 per person was actually superb value.
Sonds indeed like a bargain!
Fliar likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Il Ridotto Venice 1 star

I tried Il Ridotto in Venice, which has reasonable prices in this overpriced town.
The restaurant is relative small (as indicates the name) and modern furnished.

We took the nice Courses tasting menu which was a surprise and came 140,00 €.
First the Amuse Bouches

Now the menu. The Tortellini were unfortunately filled with chicken, so not suitable for us.

Petit fours

Service was friendly, but not polished. The food was solid, but not outstanding. The risotto for excample was very spicy, perhaps overspiced for my taste. Andy Haller wrote he couldnīt understand the Michelin star. Personally Iīm not so sure but it wasnīt at the upper Edge of 1 star level. At lunch they offer a menu at 35 €, which is a steal in Venice.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:58 pm

Ended up dining at Rustic Canyon (new 1* in the new California Michelin guide in Santa Monica) earlier last week. The food was pretty good, but TBH not quite sure why it got a star. Felt more like a Bib Gourmand spot.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Finally returned last night to Hanare Sushi in Orange County for the first time since it got its star. Was even better than I remember. This may be only the second time I’ve ever been in shorts at a Michelin restaurant, but the atmosphere everywhere in OC is very relaxed. (My first time was just last week at 1* Taco Maria.)

Not an inexpensive meal by any means at $210 per person omakase at the bar (the only place we’d choose to dine here), but it is cheaper at a table doing a taster menu for $95. But we continue to love being at the bar and getting acquainted with the other patrons and joking around with Chef Atsushi—despite his limited English and my complete inability to speak much Japanese. We know his wife quite well from another restaurant, and she has worked here as well for the past year.

This is the ONLY place in the USA where I have been able to get proper A5 Wagyu that actually tastes as amazing and is as melts-in-your-mouth good as in Japan. I loved it so much I asked for more; Chef gave us each a healthy extra offering for $49 more apiece, and it was worth every penny. I might have eaten all of mine and my husband’s portion, but I can’t confirm that rumor.

Highly recommended. But most wear pants.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Ended up dining at Rustic Canyon (new 1* in the new California Michelin guide in Santa Monica) earlier last week. The food was pretty good, but TBH not quite sure why it got a star. Felt more like a Bib Gourmand spot.
Thanks for that tip. I was debating between 1* Rustic Canyon, 1* Kali, and 1* Osteria Mozza for our LA weekend coming up. Thinking Osteria Mozza may be our best bet. (The previous night we will have 2* Providence.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.