Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 4:24 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by makrxx
If I have 3 meals each in SF, Vegas and LA, where should I go? (can be non-Michelin of course)
Definitely not Michelin, but my favourite restaurant in LV used to be the Binion's Steakhouse. It's nowhere near the best steak restaurant in Las Vegas but whatever you happen to have on, you somehow feel like you are wearing cowboy boots, bootlace tie and a 10 gallon hat when eating there.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Schwarzwaldstube, Baiersbronn 3 stars

Recently had a dinner at Schwarzwaldstube. Dinner was part of a conference so not many choices.
It started with the Amuse Bouche, a salmon tatar.

Tatar of tuna "Kishi" with pickled shimeji mushrooms, seaweed tips and Ponzu, wasabi foam and Shoyu Marinade with coriander and ginger

Small squid stuffed with seafood and Lemon, coconut Risotto and creolic Escabeche brew and passionfruit

Crispy fried sea bass with tossed artichokes and Coulis of braised vegetables with fish liver and basil

My cheese selection

Inspiration of Tulakulum chocolate "Gran Cru" with banana lime icecream and caramelized cashews, creolic sauce

The trolly with petit fours

The dinner was good, but I wasn´t totally flashed. For me not completely 3 star, more a 2 star.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by makrxx
If I have 3 meals each in SF, Vegas and LA, where should I go? (can be non-Michelin of course)
Do you mean 3 dinners? There are some places that are a very good recommendation for a lunch that would be either disappointing or unattractively priced for an evening meal. I'll leave LA and SF to the other knowledgeable folk on this forum, but if you're talking about 3 meals there are some pretty awesome breakfasts available in Las Vegas.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Do you mean 3 dinners? There are some places that are a very good recommendation for a lunch that would be either disappointing or unattractively priced for an evening meal. I'll leave LA and SF to the other knowledgeable folk on this forum, but if you're talking about 3 meals there are some pretty awesome breakfasts available in Las Vegas.
Yeah breakfast, lunch or dinner is all good. Happy to hear your recommendations.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:24 am

Not the height of food culture, but for the experience...
There are *many* better fine dining restaurants than these, so it really depends if you want to 'do Vegas' or just happen to be there and want a fine dining experience. Looking forward to hearing the views of other contributors.
  1. Breakfast Caesar's Palace (buffet but with a la carte options, live piano music and the possibility of al fresco dining)
  2. Lunch Stratosphere (reasonable food, best views in LV in the rotating restaurant)
  3. Dinner Binion's (great views at night, old school charm)
Old May 26, 2019, 7:21 am

Was just at Balwoo Gongyang (1*) in Seoul last night. This is a 100% vegetarian dinner place and is based on clean temple eating with a focus on the purity of their provenance. Went with a 65k won dinner which was filling. Instead of the majority flour expectation that I had, i was pleasantly surprised with how the restaurant used fruits, roots and leaves to create a comprehensive 5 course dinner. No wine though being a monastic restaurant, but heard there was a corkage.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Il Tino Lido di Ostia 1 star

I wanted to have dinner at Il Tino which I found looked nice. It holds 1 Michelin star. I did a online reservation request but never got a response. Also an email stayed unanswered. My hotel called for us and our table was confirmed.
The restaurant is located in Lido di Ostia in a marina.

In the basement is a bar, at the first floor is the Michelin starred restaurant. It´s modern furnished with an open kitchen.

First came some Amuse Bouche, a blue sauce of shellfish stood out.

A tatar from fish:

We took the 7 course menu. We were able to choose them with excemption of 1 surprise.
First: Iodized Garden

Second: Escarole, buffalo mozzarella and squid

Next the surprise: Spaghetti with bottarga

Forth: Bottoncini pasta with white prawns and saffron

Fifth: Gnocchi, squid, artiichoke and mint

Sixth: BBQ

Pre-dessert

Dessert: Hazelnut soufflé with truffle icecream

All dishes were tasty and I was very happy with our meal. Even if the truffle ice cream didn´t really worl well for me it was over all very good. I can highly recommend it.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
You guys make me hungry... would anyone have suggestions for restaurants in Stockholm, by the way? Ekstedt is an appealing choice, others you might recommend?
Old May 27, 2019, 3:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by powerful pete
You guys make me hungry... would anyone have suggestions for restaurants in Stockholm, by the way? Ekstedt is an appealing choice, others you might recommend?
Frantzén for sure.
dodgeflyer and powerful pete like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:47 pm

Just got done gallivanting around Singapore/China/Japan... full food report to come in my trip report (here) but some quick thoughts here on some the Michelin places I went to:

Singapore:
- Shisen Hanten (2*): Actually thought the food was quite good. Very subtle flavor profiles for Schezwan food. 2* though? Definitely not. Service was bad (even by Singapore standards), and the interior was tacky-opulence. Too high of a price point to return, but good for one experience for high-end Schezwan.
- Candlenut (1*): Been here a long time ago at their old location. New location looked nice, but far too airy to be comfortable and was weird to be set in the back of the shops. Food was pretty good, but very small portions and actually was disappointed by the flavor profiles (compared to both local/hawker food and other similar priced restaurants like Violet Oon). Would skip.

Shanghai:
- Ultraviolet (3*): Incredible experience. Visual overload, and the whole choreography of the event (lights, waiters, movements, etc.) was amazing to take in. The food on the whole was very good. Standouts were the duck dish and the fish cooked inside the candle. However, was it the best food I've ever had? No. Otherwise, truly worth the experience.

Beijing (technically no M guide but I think these would probably be tapped by the guide if/when it's there):
- King's Joy: A lot of food. WAY too much food. Yes, it's vegetarian but I felt like I was going to explode after the meal. Most of the courses were a hit but I felt as the menu progressed it got a bit less exciting. Would recommend IF you want to try a vegetarian experience, otherwise would pass.
- DaDong: Was told it was much better than the NYC experience. Equally subpar in my opinion. Hard pass.

Osaka/Kobe:
- Ca Sento (3*): Simply phenomenal. Best meal of my life. No gimmicks, just pure, beautiful, delicious food.

Tokyo:
- Amamoto (2*): A hard to book but phenomenal sushi experience. I appreciated being at the counter with the master sushi chef (versus most high end sushi restaurants that mostly delegate non-regulars/non-Japanese to the second counters).
- Yunke (2*): A surprising hit. Was not expecting much but my parents wanted Korean so I took them here. Beautiful Korean food that is deeply rooted in traditional and simplicity.
- L'Effervescence (2*): Wondrous experience. Beautiful food that is equally delicious. Only dish I didn't like as much was the main pork dish. Otherwise, a must go! Love the heavy Japanese influence in the French cuisine alongside the focus on sustainability.
- Ishikawa (3*): Very good Kaiseki. Simple, delicious flavors. Did it feel like 3*? No. Would I return? No. Would I recommend for one time? Yes. Some of the best Kaiseki I've had. I think negative reviews (on TripAdvisor) have misguided expectations for the 3*/price point.
- Fukamachi (1*): Loved! They were so friendly to us and I thought everything was light, flavorful and delicious. Definitely a top notch experience that avoids the "touristy" factor of other places like Kondo.
offerendum and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bsb10
- Ishikawa (3*): Very good Kaiseki. Simple, delicious flavors. Did it feel like 3*? No. Would I return? No. Would I recommend for one time? Yes. Some of the best Kaiseki I've had. I think negative reviews (on TripAdvisor) have misguided expectations for the 3*/price point.
Mirrors my own experience. Thanks for posting all the others as well, sounds like a good trip! There were 2 empty seats at the counter when I was there. Not sure if cancellations or not, but with several private rooms it didn't feel as exclusive as some other Japanese 3* many of which I struggle to get any access to. I must admit to not having read the tripadvisor reviews. Since they changed their business model a few years ago I don't really go there any more. I'm sure you understand why.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Do you all have any recommendations for Seoul, for those that have been? A search has shown only three posts in this thread, two by @Aventine highly critical of restaurants that have gotten stars and one about a vegetarian restaurant... I understand there's only 26 that have gotten stars, but I'm sure the restaurant scene is much deeper than that.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Do you all have any recommendations for Seoul, for those that have been? A search has shown only three posts in this thread, two by @Aventine highly critical of restaurants that have gotten stars and one about a vegetarian restaurant... I understand there's only 26 that have gotten stars, but I'm sure the restaurant scene is much deeper than that.
I went to Jungsik for lunch a few years ago and liked it a lot. Modern Korean cuisine, creative but still very approachable. High quality ingredients with good execution, great service too. It led me to try out their other location in NY, which has become one of my favorite restaurants in the city.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
California Michelin Guide 2019 announcement live streaming now on the Michelin Guide Facebook page.

Sorry, the link will not display even though I posted it, click on "Quote" below to see the URL.

ETA: It is also on YouTube: California Michelin Guide 2019

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 3, 2019 at 6:55 pm Reason: Add YouTube link
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Very perplexed about Southern California.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.