Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:22 pm

Chef Gaggan Anand announced today that Gaggan (2* Michelin; #7 World’s 50 Best) will close permanently on June 30, 2019.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Chef Gaggan Anand announced today that Gaggan (2* Michelin; #7 World’s 50 Best) will close permanently on June 30, 2019.
Yeah I heard he was moving to Japan when I visited Gaggan in February
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:47 pm

Turns out Chef Anand pulled a fast one on us all - it was an April Fools joke! Gaggan will close on June 30, 2020, NOT 2019. He certainly fooled me and had me start planning a trip to Bangkok.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:31 am

Must've been a typo. The June 2020 date has been floating around for a while, which led me to book a res there for later this year. Very excited to finally try it out before it's gone!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by jbeans
Must've been a typo.
It definitely was not a typo. He announced the closing date as June 30, 2019 on his Instagram story. He then waited a few hours before giving the good ol’ “APRIL FOOLS!” and announcing that his restaurant would close June 30, 2020.
bhrubin and jbeans like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:25 pm

Has anyone ever been to Otto e Mezzo Bombana in Hong Kong? *** Italian restaurant in Asia is very intriguing and makes me want to check it out.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:22 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Going to Japan next month. Previous trip was M* heavy, this time I just have Ishikawa booked in Tokyo, but wondered if anyone had any advice on what would be worth booking in Osaka? Looking for something different not just good food. I.e not Kaiseki or Western.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Going to Japan next month. Previous trip was M* heavy, this time I just have Ishikawa booked in Tokyo, but wondered if anyone had any advice on what would be worth booking in Osaka? Looking for something different not just good food. I.e not Kaiseki or Western.
Check out Taian. Small place run by husband and wife team, they specialize in grilled foods. You pick your protein that's cooked on a charcoal grill in front of you, along with a bunch of small side dishes served in courses. We enjoyed it a lot, and it was a nice change from all the kaiseki meals on that trip! It had 2 or 3 M* a few years ago when I went, not sure if it still holds stars, but worth a visit I think!

Last edited by jbeans; Apr 4, 2019 at 1:04 pm
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:56 pm

Check out Taian. Small place run by husband and wife team, they specialize in grilled foods. You pick your protein that's cooked on a charcoal grill in front of you, along with a bunch of small side dishes served in courses. We enjoyed it a lot, and it was a nice change from all the kaiseki meals on that trip! It had 2 or 3 M* stars a few years ago when I went, not sure if it still holds stars, but worth a visit I think!
Thanks I'll check it out. 2016 3* perhaps a bit kaiseki, Are there different ordering mechanisms?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Thanks I'll check it out. 2016 3* perhaps a bit kaiseki, Are there different ordering mechanisms?
IIRC there's only 1 omakase menu, and the only variation was the main protein you choose. All the side dishes were the same. Some of the side dishes were a bit kaiseki, but I felt overall the meal was a lot more protein heavy and richer in sauces/fats than your typical kaiseki.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:28 pm

IIRC there's only 1 omakase menu, and the only variation was the main protein you choose. All the side dishes were the same. Some of the side dishes were a bit kaiseki, but I felt overall the meal was a lot more protein heavy and richer in sauces/fats than your typical kaiseki.
Amex are now on the case. Let's see if there is space or what options they need
jbeans likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by kiokujai
I also had a great meal at Le Bernardin the last time I was in NY - enjoyed it much more than EMP.

I am a huge Yakitori fan after my last Japan trip but I'm not big into arteries and innards so a full tasting may not be for me. Japanese food is my love so I'm really tempted to do Sushi Amane or Noz but I'm going to Tokyo next month and will get a good sushi fix then and I want to make the NY trip more about the wife so I'll probably skip sushi this time around (unfortunately).

Thanks for your feedback!
I've eaten at both of the 1 star yakitori spots in Tokyo (one is Birdland - struggling to remember the name of the other). I think Tori Shin is just as good as either; we eat there quite often.

Le Bernardin is IMO the most consistent 3* in NYC. It always delivers an exceptional experience. I've had several meals at EMP; twice I've had among the best meals of my life and other times it was good but more of a 1* experience.
bhrubin and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I've eaten at both of the 1 star yakitori spots in Tokyo (one is Birdland - struggling to remember the name of the other). I think Tori Shin is just as good as either; we eat there quite often.

Le Bernardin is IMO the most consistent 3* in NYC. It always delivers an exceptional experience. I've had several meals at EMP; twice I've had among the best meals of my life and other times it was good but more of a 1* experience.
Chef's Table @ Brooklyn Fare is better than Le Bernardin, but YMMV. It's still very good but I feel like Chef Ramirez is more creative.

Anyone have thoughts on spots in Hong Kong? Right now, we have Tin Lung Heen (2 stars) lined up for one dim sum meal, and Lung King Heen (3 stars) for a dinner. We are contemplating Duddell's (1 star) for a lunch, but also checking into The Chairman (seems like a former 1-star currently, but on World's Best 50 last year at #22 ) for dinner as an alternative, as we want to keep at least one meal lined up for something more casual.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Chef's Table @ Brooklyn Fare is better than Le Bernardin, but YMMV. It's still very good but I feel like Chef Ramirez is more creative.

Anyone have thoughts on spots in Hong Kong? Right now, we have Tin Lung Heen (2 stars) lined up for one dim sum meal, and Lung King Heen (3 stars) for a dinner. We are contemplating Duddell's (1 star) for a lunch, but also checking into The Chairman (seems like a former 1-star currently, but on World's Best 50 last year at #22 ) for dinner as an alternative, as we want to keep at least one meal lined up for something more casual.
Agreed on Chef's Table.

For HK, Would skip Duddell's. Been a few times for the ambiance, but it was very bad when I was there last time that I refuse to go back. Food ranged from ok to not so good, but the worst part was the service. Horribly inattentive. They also sat us right in the middle of the patio doors which was like a wind-tunnel; we kindly asked if we could move to an empty table which they refused (it remained empty the entire time we were there).

Lung King Heen seems to get mixed reviews but I think it's mostly from having such lofty standards of it; I personally love it and think everything on the menu is thoroughly delicious. 3*? Eh, probably not. But the service when I've been is outstanding, especially my favorite sommelier ever there-- Bernard. Tin Lung Heen is also very good but found the service not as good as LKH; I've only been there a few times though so YMMV because it seems to get stellar reviews. Another favorite of mine is Mott 32, consistently good food and feels less touristy now that "hype" around it has settled down (in a good way). Last time we went we actually preferred the food here to LKH and Yan Toh Heen.

Chairman is very good. Definitely a very hot place right now. I prefer my cantonese food to be indulgent so it's not my absolute favorite, but it is a really good option and definitely better than Duddell's if that's the alternative.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: some
Mezza Luna (2*) in Bangkok last night. Was not expecting too much (Bangkok Michelin can be hit and miss) but found the food excellent. On the 65th floor the views are fabulous too (but they really really should clean the windows). Ingredients were very good (mostly Japanese) and beautifully presented. I would concur with Michelin's 2* rating.

A word of caution: drinks were ridiculous - $US70 for a glass of Champagne (PJ) or US$32 for a G&T is just laughable. Even a Diet Coke would set you back US$13. That's the level of price-gouging that will not make me return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.