Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:17 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by offerendum

Was in Rome recently and had 4 meals. Here the short version:

La Terrazza: Solid but not great in my eyes. Would only be my choice if staying at the Eden
La Pergola: Great! Fabulous dinner, must visit in my eyes.
Imago: Had low expectations but had a very good dinner. 2 star level in my eyes.
Moma: Got a star recently. Considering value it's the place to be with 69 € for a Tasting. Good 1 star level, would visit again.
Thanks!
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:16 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Review to come, but dined at Ya Ge in Taipei on Sunday night (1* in the 2018 Michelin guide; food is by and large right at that level, as is the service). What I found odd was that though the restaurant has a stated dress code of collared shirts for men that several parties included folks in T-shirts, and not just plain uncollared shirts, either. Maybe I'm being a bit fuddy, but is it asking too much to at least put on a polo instead of a loud tee when going to a nice restaurant? My other pet peeve was the party who were having 2-3 speakerphone conversations during dinner (unfortunately, seated at the next table over). Making a cell phone in a restaurant is bad enough, but doing so over speakerphone?! Seriously?

I understand restaurants not wanting to antagonize patrons, but honestly, someone needed to politely ask them to take their calls out into the lobby.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:30 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
Review to come, but dined at Ya Ge in Taipei on Sunday night (1* in the 2018 Michelin guide; food is by and large right at that level, as is the service). What I found odd was that though the restaurant has a stated dress code of collared shirts for men that several parties included folks in T-shirts, and not just plain uncollared shirts, either. Maybe I'm being a bit fuddy, but is it asking too much to at least put on a polo instead of a loud tee when going to a nice restaurant?
While I respect you preferring everyone to honor the stated dress code and to dress in a certain fashion, that doesn't really impact your dining experience IMO. It's a collar. Look away.

My other pet peeve was the party who were having 2-3 speakerphone conversations during dinner (unfortunately, seated at the next table over). Making a cell phone in a restaurant is bad enough, but doing so over speakerphone?! Seriously? I understand restaurants not wanting to antagonize patrons, but honestly, someone needed to politely ask them to take their calls out into the lobby.
I agree with you here--as it most certainly can impact your dining experience. I first would ask the server/manager to speak to the table. If that doesn't work, I would ask again. If that still doesn't work, I'd speak to the offending party myself.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:34 am

Just got back from our Chicago trip. Below is the menu from Alinea we had. Below that is the menu from Oriole. Both dinners were amazing. Alinea doesn't need any intro here. But if you've missed out on Oriole or never heard of it, go!

Yahillwe, bhrubin and Hilde like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
While I respect you preferring everyone to honor the stated dress code and to dress in a certain fashion, that doesn't really impact your dining experience IMO. It's a collar. Look away.
For me it has Nothing to do with the "given" Dress Code. As I said before I don´t need someone to tell me how to dress. It´s not for me and I get more and more concerned it comes to Europe. This said I remember times when in nice restaurant no man (or only one who stood out) wear no tie. In my eyes everyone should decide him/ herself how to dress, even if many embaress themself by there choose imo…..
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:54 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
For me it has Nothing to do with the "given" Dress Code. As I said before I don´t need someone to tell me how to dress. It´s not for me and I get more and more concerned it comes to Europe. This said I remember times when in nice restaurant no man (or only one who stood out) wear no tie. In my eyes everyone should decide him/ herself how to dress, even if many embaress themself by there choose imo…..
I think I'm with you, actually. I think you might have misinterpreted my comments!

I think it's appropriate to dress better in a nice restaurant, but I think the times of jackets and ties being necessary for that consideration have long since passed.

I think the patrons AND the restaurant should be equally respectful of each other: a patron should respect a fine dining restaurant by dressing reasonably well, and the restaurant should respect the patron by not dictating jacket and tie. I don't think there is anything wrong with a restaurant asking for collared shirts, but I also don't think it's that big a deal without a collar!

Of course, I live in California for a reason. When I am in Paris, I very much respect the local tradition of being much better dressed, but I still refuse to wear a jacket that will make me too hot and uncomfortable.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I think I'm with you, actually. I think you might have misinterpreted my comments!

I think it's appropriate to dress better in a nice restaurant, but I think the times of jackets and ties being necessary for that consideration have long since passed.

I think the patrons AND the restaurant should be equally respectful of each other: a patron should respect a fine dining restaurant by dressing reasonably well, and the restaurant should respect the patron by not dictating jacket and tie. I don't think there is anything wrong with a restaurant asking for collared shirts, but I also don't think it's that big a deal without a collar!

Of course, I live in California for a reason. When I am in Paris, I very much respect the local tradition of being much better dressed, but I still refuse to wear a jacket that will make me too hot and uncomfortable.
My experience is that Japan takes the dress code more seriously, but in spots in China, HK or Taiwan, dressing 'nicely' comes second to being able to pay the bill.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I agree! As I said I´m a big fan of personal freedom and while I have dedicated opinions for myself (wich often includes jackets (better say suits) and ties) I don´t wonna dictate anything. So general against dress codes. When I see people and don´t like their dress I may think my park but I´m sure people can live with it as good as I can live with their dress. In the end it´s not my business and it not affects my dinner which way other people dress. Perhaps I even have more "fun" with badly dressed people
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Went to RON Gastrobar (1 Star) in Amsterdam a couple of weeks back and was underwhelmed.
Also went to De Silveren Spiegel (Plate/Not Starred) in Amsterdam and had the tasting menu with pairings, was one of the best meals I've ever had.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Totally agree with this statement, although I'm also not in the camp of anything goes. I was in a 1-star restaurant in Chicago last fall, dressed nicely but without a tie (I hate them), when we noticed a couple come in dressed like they had just come from a day of sightseeing along Michigan Ave. It just looked sloppy, like they hadn't planned to eat at this restaurant at all, but had just happened upon it, which did ruin a celebration evening for us just a little bit.

I don't care about collars, but I'm ok with Michelin restaurants enforcing rules such as no athletic shoes, no jeans with holes, no shirts with obnoxious slogans (I know, I know, who decides it's obnoxious), etc.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
which did ruin a celebration evening for us just a little bit.
Well, while I understand your point get more relaxed. There are many things outside I don´t wonna see. Some are surely understandable for most, for some of my dislikings I even feel embarassed.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Well, while I understand your point get more relaxed. There are many things outside I don´t wonna see. Some are surely understandable for most, for some of my dislikings I even feel embarassed.
I'm actually a very laid-back, relaxed person. I don't care how people dress on the street, in stores, or even most restaurants. But when the people sitting at the table next to you are dressed sloppily, it made our celebration seem a little less special, like just an every day occasion. I'm not judging the people at all, but I think it's up to the restaurant whether or not they want to create a certain atmosphere. I won't name the restaurant here, and I certainly would go back in the future, but I'm unlikely to consider it for a special celebration. To be totally honest, my favorite type of restaurant is one where I can get Michelin-star quality food in a very casual atmosphere. In those situations, I'm totally comfortable in jeans and collar-less shirt. This, IMO, was not one of those restaurants.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rome: La Terrazza 1 star

While we stayed at the hotel Eden in Rome we had dinner at La Terrazza which is awarded with 1 Michelin star.
We started with some Amuse Bouche:

You may choose between a la carte, a choose of each one Antipasti, Primi and Secondi for 130 €, a 6 Course Tasting for 165 € and a 8 Course dinner for 200 €. Considering the 130 € menu doesn´t contain a desser which costs 28 € the Tastings are far better value. As we didn´t like many of the dishes the offered in the Tastings we went with the 3 course.
First Course:
Langoustine Variation

Scallops, mango and passion fruit

Both dishes were good, I liked the langoustine more.
Second Course:
Gran riserva risotto with almond, curry and red prawns

Calamarata pasta with steamed oyster, coconut and rocket

Again both dishes were good.
Third couse:
Organic salmon with mixed herbs

Personally this dish wasn´t my taste, but technically it was well done.
Crispy red mullet, seaweed tartareand Kalamata olives

A solid dish.
Pre-dessert

Time for Dessert. They offer a card which was created together with Angelo Musa from Hotel Plaza Athénée. First I wanted choose the chocolate and pear soufflé but they told me it would need too much time. I love such things!
We took Amalfi Lemon

Taste was OK (not more, not less), but consideringthe price of 28 € I would skip dessert next time.
Petit fours

Over all a good dinner, even if I thought it was "generous" prized. If I would stay at the Eden I would eat here again. But I wouldn´t if I stay somewhere else.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by exerda
What I found odd was that though the restaurant has a stated dress code of collared shirts for men that several parties included folks in T-shirts, and not just plain uncollared shirts, either. Maybe I'm being a bit fuddy, but is it asking too much to at least put on a polo
Let’s not forget, we are not talking about NYC, London or Paris here and we are also not talking about Western cuisine. Culturally, Taiwan is a very casual place and people just don’t dress up for meals. Why would the locals dress differently because the restaurant has a Michelin star or that there are tourists there?
offerendum, bhrubin and jbeans like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Why would the locals dress differently because the restaurant has a Michelin star or that there are tourists there?
Good point!
bhrubin and CappuccinoAddict like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.