Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Really? I think we're talking about a 10 or 11 year old who has presumably known the majority of his classmates for several years -- you seem to be suggesting that parents or another responsible adult should be monitoring every single conversation their child has. Presuming the parents are comfortable with the technology platform and its security, your reaction seems ... disproportionate.
I don't think they should be monitoring every word but to have your kid specifically insist that both parents go to another floor of the house would concern me. Parents should be somewhat in earshot at least part of the time or at least feel free to be.
cblaisd, phillygold and Finkface like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Really? I think we're talking about a 10 or 11 year old who has presumably known the majority of his classmates for several years -- you seem to be suggesting that parents or another responsible adult should be monitoring every single conversation their child has. Presuming the parents are comfortable with the technology platform and its security, your reaction seems ... disproportionate.
I agree it seems like an overreaction. I think it seems foreign to many of us that are slightly older. The reality is, in today's world and especially the pandemic world, video chat has become common for a lot of kids. My nieces and nephews do it for school and with their friends all the time. It's different than anonymous internet chat rooms, and much more like a phone call. When I was a kid, I was certainly allowed to have private phone conversations with my friends. I'm not sure how it's much different just because it has video...pretty soon all our "phone calls" probably will. If anything, video is safer than those old online chat rooms because the child knows who they're talking to.

Heck, I might even be swapping recipes on this forum with a bunch of 4th graders!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by work2fly
I have a 12 year old, and prefer to keep him within "earshot" when he's online. I know we can't monitor everything, but it's good for him to know we give 2 chits about what he's up to.

Back OT, homemade chicken soup with fresh sourdough is on the menu for tonight. I may pick up a hunk of some sort of interesting cheese at Trader Joes today, to have alongside.
That sounds reasonable to me.

Chicken soup sounds delicious. It's snowy here, so soup would be good.
Originally Posted by corky
I don't think they should be monitoring every word but to have your kid specifically insist that both parents go to another floor of the house would concern me. Parents should be somewhat in earshot at least part of the time or at least feel free to be.
Yes.

My dinner tonight will be pot roast with veggies and potatoes. It's been cooking away in the crock pot for a few hours now.
corky likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by kipper

My dinner tonight will be pot roast with veggies and potatoes. It's been cooking away in the crock pot for a few hours now.
I know it's different, but this made me think of my mom's beef stew, part of the standard rotation when I was a kid. She always made it in a pressure cooker. I'm a big fan of slow cooking -- crock pot or even tonight's dinner which is now in hour 25 of sous vide -- but that pressure cooker beef was always tender and juicy. Anyway, your dinner brought back good childhood memories from the 80's, so thank you.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by JBord
I know it's different, but this made me think of my mom's beef stew, part of the standard rotation when I was a kid. She always made it in a pressure cooker. I'm a big fan of slow cooking -- crock pot or even tonight's dinner which is now in hour 25 of sous vide -- but that pressure cooker beef was always tender and juicy. Anyway, your dinner brought back good childhood memories from the 80's, so thank you.
I think of pot roast being in an oven despite the name. I can’t recall how I ate it and as good as it was, I want to cook roast beef / prime rib / meatloaf / other baked meat dishes first. Roast chicken like in Amelie. Surely other dishes.

tonight:
leftover chili with spaghetti
strong chance of spaghetti with Rao’s marinara & Ks meatballs. I still have leftover mashed potatoes & gravy which would be nice with beef kielbasa (despite my having had a Louisiana sausage for my luncheon.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
I think of pot roast being in an oven despite the name. I can’t recall how I ate it and as good as it was, I want to cook roast beef / prime rib / meatloaf / other baked meat dishes first. Roast chicken like in Amelie. Surely other dishes.
Probably because of the "roast" part!
I've been having a lot of fun with the sous vide machine since my wife got it for me as a Christmas present. Large cuts of beef, like you mention, are wonderful cooked that way. And in most cases it's just a reverse sear. Cook in the sous vide and then give them a quick sear on the stove top before we eat. It's a bit of an upfront investment, but very simple and produces perfectly cooked meat. I can see us still using the oven occasionally for beef, but I'd guess we'll switch about 75% of those meals to the sous vide.

I've been watching the flyers for a sale on brisket at Jewel, Sunset, and Mariano's. No luck yet
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by JBord
Happy I could remind you of a great memory.

I'm getting ready to eat dinner soon, and will do that then get back to work.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Anyone have any good parsnip recipes? I meant to order three from whole foods and instead ended up with 3 lb of them.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have any good parsnip recipes? I meant to order three from whole foods and instead ended up with 3 lb of them.
Didn't they do that to you before with bananas or something?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I use them in my beef stew and in roasted vegetables.
JBord likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I took some of the big thing of pig stew I made yesterday, added some broccoli, seasoned it up a bit more, and served in a bowl with some smoked gouda, cilantro and fresh tomato/onion/cilantro salsa, with some corn tortillas on the side.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
What's she going to do with the other 2 1/2 lbs?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by corky
What's she going to do with the other 2 1/2 lbs?
Share with her neighbors? Ship them to me?
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Baked cod and rice (adapted from an online recipe, seasoned with orange juice, basil, thyme, lemon pepper & paprika); roasted asparagus, garlic bread.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by wrp96
I think of you using turnips - do you use both turnips and parsnip? I do like the looks of your stew!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.