Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:17 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by John Galt
Great minds think alike. Pesto pasta (with shrimp and broccoli florets, though, but I did make the pesto from basil I grew); apple tarts in phyllo with Blue Bell pecan praline ice cream. The apples are from my tree.

I use walnuts instead of pinenuts..not technically authentic, but it's good. D'ja see the NYT article about Blue Bell a couple of weeks ago?
Didn't see the article.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's my thinking process on that. I'm thinking steak because we had power outages but the steak is defrosted.

I have lots of fresh tarragon and I think I should use that.

I still have some veggies that survived, including some cabbage and potatos. No cream or milk but I could buy some. And I have some habeneros and some mangos that are quite ripe.

And I have some good cheese.

And I have some stale homemade bread.

So, here is my plan:

sliced steak in a tarragon cream sauce with breadcrumbs on a bed of panfried potatoes

cole slaw

mangos for dessert -- maybe with chopped mint leaves on homemade shortbread sauced with simple syrup
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:00 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jfe

My mint and thyme didn't make it

That's because myefre "fertilized" it at your DO party a few months ago.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:04 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
That's because myefre "fertilized" it at your DO party a few months ago.
I planted them afterwards, couldn't take that risk
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:44 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
I made homemade cheesesteaks (not frozen steak-ums). Sliced the beef a little too thick, but wife and son didn't care.

I haven't thought about tonight yet. Homemade pizza is an option.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:06 pm

Tonight's looking like breaded pork chops stuffed with an apple stuffing, served with some sort of flavorfull rice (still deciding on that). Also making some fresh Strawberry Lemonade.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I dunno. I had to call home and ask my honey.

It's gonna be grilled tiger prawns (with made-from-scratch hot and spicy cocktail sauce), grilled veggies, and blue-cheese cole slaw.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made steak with the "Outback" peppery rub, curtido El Salvadoran cabbage salad, patatas bravas, and a brown berry betty for dessert.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Normally I do take-out, but I just put filet mignon (plain - don't know how to do sauces) in the broiler (I don't own a grill cuz I rarely cook). That & a glass (ok, a few) of champagne is dinner for me.

Just back from seeing Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (review in sep thread), so in the mood for some type of swashbuckling or action dvd to go along w/ dinner....

Cheers.

PS - What everyone else is having sounds great!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:29 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Normally I do take-out, but I just put filet mignon (plain - don't know how to do sauces) in the broiler (I don't own a grill cuz I rarely cook). That & a glass (ok, a few) of champagne is dinner for me.

Just back from seeing Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (review in sep thread), so in the mood for some type of swashbuckling or action dvd to go along w/ dinner....

Cheers.

PS - What everyone else is having sounds great!
Making a sauce is the easiest thing, add 2 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of flour, cook them together, that will make a roux, add some milk, let it thicken a little bit, add some Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, and if you want add mushrooms

Super quick sauce
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jfe
Making a sauce is the easiest thing, add 2 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of flour, cook them together, that will make a roux, add some milk, let it thicken a little bit, add some Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, and if you want add mushrooms

Super quick sauce
As a chef, cook and bottle-washer for 30+ years, I can vouch that jfe's sauce recipe is primo.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I don't have butter or flower in the house (hello - don't cook!) & I hate mushrooms. I do have dijon, salt, pepper - jfe, you have an alternate sauce for me?

I just threw on some peppers/spices - but the steak was just ok (hate that when it's filet mignon quality). The champers is great though!!!

Cheers.

Oh heck, I was going to correct flower to flour on an edit but then I realized, I really don't cook so mis-spelling goes along w/ the territory. However, my sister does, so I've cut/pasted & emailed the sauce recipe to her. When I visit her she does all the (fab) cooking & I'm the main dishwasher (given she doesn't have one!).
Old Jul 8, 2006, 1:08 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Very kiddie-friendly, simple flavors supper:

Baby carrots to snack on beforehand

pork chops
plain green salad w/bottled Italian dressing
milk
banana & a piece or two of chocolate for dessert
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Frozen pizza
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
It was going to be a shrimp, scallop, calimari, and fresh pea risotto with steamed asparagus.

However, the houseguests have not been seen nor heard from for the last 8 hours, so it ended up being a grilled cheese(provolone with dijon mustard) and a beer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.