Wiki Posts
Search

Old food or restaurant brands that are not what you remember

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Sonic, KFC, Dunkin Donuts.

Quality is so much less than 20 years ago.
Not sure about the USA, but here in Canada KFC decided that chicken which used to be 9 pieces is now magically 12 pieces.

Have not been back to them since.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: United, AA, Delta, SW
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Haven't eaten there since 1982 or so. Accordingly, I have no idea! As far as not what I remember, Taco Bell is sure it. They used to cook fresh ground beef on the flat top. Once the meat started coming sauced in a bag ... Of course, they probably stopped cooking the meat fresh on the flat top about the same time as I ceased my occasional McD's visits.
I had a friend who had worked at Taco Bell in the 70s. He said they added a pound of oatmeal to every 10 lbs of ground beef.

All natural!!
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You could try A&W in Canada next time you are up here as it is a separate and distinct entity from the U.S. (and other non-Canadian) ones, and interestingly more outlets than the U.S. operation has in the U.S. and other countries. . It's still rather good (IMO) and some places (namely free-standing locations, (i.e., not in mall or airports) have different grilling methods/equipment that make the grilled food taste better. Also claim to only use grass-fed beef, antibiotic-free pork, free-run veg-fed chickens and hence eggs from such among other things.
Tim Horton's on the other hand hasn't been the same since my childhood. It was my first time (that I could remember) in Toronto, and it was the first meal of my trip. It was pouring rain and we didn't want to eat at the hotel, so I spotted what appeared to be a Dunkin Donuts next door. Turned out to be a Tim Horton's and the menu was great, and I fondly remember how delicious the croissants were at Tim's. They were fresh baked, smelled nice, and were delightfully buttery and flaky.

And then as an adult, I went back (this is after a couple changes in ownership) and the croissants just weren't good at all.

Here in the US, Dunkin Donuts has had a similar change. The donuts used to be OK (they weren't great but they were at least passsable) because the donuts would be delivered in the morning, and the restaurant would bake them on site. Now they're just delivered ready to eat and they just haven't been the same. The other thing about Dunkin is that they used to be good. Now it's the cheapest quality ingredients possible, and they're just riding on local New England brand recognition, and possibly cult following. Dunkin has gone full fast food and now does new rotating fad sandwiches that never stay on the menu more than a few months.
cblaisd and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by AmericanCasey
Arby's restaurants in the Richmond, Virginia area have vegetables, kind of like a Boston Market. They have broccoli all the time, lima beans sometimes, and have carried spinach before, although that seems to be gone this year. They also have rotisserie chicken, various salads, and baked potatoes. And they added frosted coffee milkshakes starting a few years ago that the national menu hasn't picked up.
I was pleasantly surprised by this... I used to be in Richmond 2-3 nights a month for work with the airport so would stay nearby. Arby's (and a Mexican place across the street) were the only passable things to eat within brief walking distance of where I was usually stuck at the Courtyard. A few other Arby's locations used to have similar but I hadn't seen in years.... the one in BWI airport Terminal A/B until recently had a build your own salad.

Arby's roast been (and the CBS sandwich) have seem to have gone downhill. I'll get a beef and cheddar once in a blue moon. But since I had to spend a lot of time in St. Louis and discovered Lion's Choice now I cannot look at Arby's roast beef the same ever again!

Interesting the comments on the name and store brands tasting the same... because many cases they are. Example: Wal-Mart store brand (I think it's Great Value?) pot pies are made on the same line as Swanson. Some supermarket brand syrup is basically Aunt Jemima's (or what is formerly known as).
AmericanCasey likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:14 am

I am now into old age, and there is not one area of service and food that has not changed for the worse. Quality has diminished, quantity has reduced, cost has increased for the lesser amount. Caveat emptor in another context.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by braslvr
Remember when they served root beer (and floats) in those heavy glass super frosty mugs? At your car!
Can't remember when they stopped doing that. Maybe around 1970?
No, in California at least it was well past the 70's. They were still serving in glass mugs when I got my driver's license, which wasn't in the the 70's .
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by empedocles
Arby's is just awful now. The Chicken-Bacon-Swiss used to be just fried chicken breast, thick cut bacon, a slice of swiss and slathered with honey mustard. Now the chicken patty is smaller, and I'm not 100% sure it's all white meat, the bacon is standard thin fast food bacon, tiny bit of honey mustard, and they've added lettuce & tomato.

And somehow their beef-like product has gotten worse.
I loved Arby's until I got a summer job there as a teenager.

You do not want to know what is in the "roast beef"
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kale73
IDK how much Arbys may have changed the size of their sandwiches. I do suspect that youve changed size since you were a kid. I once had a high school junior tell me that when he was in first grade, high school kids seemed so much bigger than they do now.
It is possible that when Arby's introduced a larger RB sandwich, it decreased the basic size. Just a thought.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JAXPax
Interesting the comments on the name and store brands tasting the same... because many cases they are. Example: Wal-Mart store brand (I think it's Great Value?) pot pies are made on the same line as Swanson. Some supermarket brand syrup is basically Aunt Jemima's (or what is formerly known as).
Which may account for some of these: Foods where a generic/house brand is better than the name brand
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by braslvr
I didn't notice a size/amount change as much as a change in the "roast beef" itself, for the worse. It wouldn't surprise me if they became smaller either. The final straw was when they changed to having ONLY curly seasoned fries, which I detest. It's been at least 12 years since I've entered one.
In my area, at least, Arby's now has crinkle fries in addition to the curly fries. Haven't been to Dairy Queen recently enough to put them in the comparison, but in my opinion these crinkle fries are the best available at any fast food restaurant (you can, of course, get much better at a real establishment).

I can't think of anything that's as good as it used to be. A lot of that, of course, is due to my taste buds getting much older. Even some of the finer (relative term, not a description!) restaurants have gone downhill. When I was growing up, for instance, Stuart Anderson's Black Angus was a premier steak house. Now it's just Black Angus and not nearly as good -- but maybe my palate is more discerning than when I was 10. (Their biggest problem right now is inconsistency -- went there in July and had the worst prime rib of my life; went there last week and it was the best ever!)

I think a lot of the differences you'll find come simply in the preparation, or lack thereof. I do accounting for a handful of restaurants and it's really disillusioning how many of their dishes come frozen from Costco or Restaurant Depot! If they're just going to take a bag of frozen pot stickers and drop them in a steamer or a vat of oil, I can do that myself.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I loved Arby's until I got a summer job there as a teenager.

You do not want to know what is in the "roast beef"
Oh man....you can't just leave us hanging.

Yes, I very much DO want to know what's in the roast beef!!
obscure2k and TGarza like this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
Tim Horton's on the other hand hasn't been the same since my childhood. It was my first time (that I could remember) in Toronto, and it was the first meal of my trip. It was pouring rain and we didn't want to eat at the hotel, so I spotted what appeared to be a Dunkin Donuts next door. Turned out to be a Tim Horton's and the menu was great, and I fondly remember how delicious the croissants were at Tim's. They were fresh baked, smelled nice, and were delightfully buttery and flaky.

And then as an adult, I went back (this is after a couple changes in ownership) and the croissants just weren't good at all.
Tim Horton's stopped "baking" donuts (I've been told they were par-baked then shipped) at sale location nearly 2 decades ago. Frozen and rewarmed since then. Big uproar then but regulars are addicted to the brand so keep it alive and healthy. I don't think I've been to one out of choice since around then.

Here in the US, Dunkin Donuts has had a similar change. The donuts used to be OK (they weren't great but they were at least passsable) because the donuts would be delivered in the morning, and the restaurant would bake them on site. Now they're just delivered ready to eat and they just haven't been the same. The other thing about Dunkin is that they used to be good. Now it's the cheapest quality ingredients possible, and they're just riding on local New England brand recognition, and possibly cult following. Dunkin has gone full fast food and now does new rotating fad sandwiches that never stay on the menu more than a few months.
Too bad. I had a hankering for them when I was out in the eastern U.S. some 3 decades ago. Hard to find (non-existent?) on the U.S. west coast (specifically "northern" NV, "northern" CA and Seattle north to the 49th parallel) so I haven't been to one in about the same time I last went to a Tim Horton's.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dliesse
I can't think of anything that's as good as it used to be. A lot of that, of course, is due to my taste buds getting much older. Even some of the finer (relative term, not a description!) restaurants have gone downhill. When I was growing up, for instance, Stuart Anderson's Black Angus was a premier steak house. Now it's just Black Angus and not nearly as good -- but maybe my palate is more discerning than when I was 10. (Their biggest problem right now is inconsistency -- went there in July and had the worst prime rib of my life; went there last week and it was the best ever!)
Could be due to supplier and/or slipping standards. One of the local/regional supermarket chains where I am now, when it was operated buy the founder-owner, had a line of meat (owner's Signature Series) that was supposed to be either the best 1/7th or 1/6th of the best meats from a certain meat packer supplier. As the owner aged, he sold the chain to a national operator. Standards started to slip and eventually declined to the standard of that supplier. This supplier (large U.S. meatpacker) has its premium line of beef but only claims to be the best 2/3 (which encompasses a lot of marginal and mediocre). That's reflected in the beef quality one finds at that supermarket.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BettyKat
Oh man....you can't just leave us hanging.

Yes, I very much DO want to know what's in the roast beef!!
My speculation: Like "chicken breast" or "turkey breast" often found at delis and supermarket deli counters, it's probably not a solid piece of beef from a single cow but an agglomeration of meat from various appropriate animals formed and pressed and held together by whatever.

My speculation seems to be somewhat refuted by this
https://www.mashed.com/145296/the-tr...ys-roast-beef/
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
Great idea for a thread, especially restaurants. I agree with KFC and Pizza Hut. Disagree on Taco Bell. Outside of fast food, I can think of three off the top of my head -- Chili's, Outback, and Olive Garden. Maybe my taste buds have improved, but in the 90's I recall thinking the food was good at all three. And when I've tried them recently it's like it was heated up from the grocery freezer section. I know the restaurants I could afford were different 25 years ago but there are still a lot of others in that category that I like today.
Outback has gone way downhill just in the last year or two. Hubby and I used to go as a treat for his birthday and the last couple of times were awful. Longhorn, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.