FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old food or restaurant brands that are not what you remember
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:19 am
diburning

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You could try A&W in Canada next time you are up here as it is a separate and distinct entity from the U.S. (and other non-Canadian) ones, and interestingly more outlets than the U.S. operation has in the U.S. and other countries. . It's still rather good (IMO) and some places (namely free-standing locations, (i.e., not in mall or airports) have different grilling methods/equipment that make the grilled food taste better. Also claim to only use grass-fed beef, antibiotic-free pork, free-run veg-fed chickens and hence eggs from such among other things.
Tim Horton's on the other hand hasn't been the same since my childhood. It was my first time (that I could remember) in Toronto, and it was the first meal of my trip. It was pouring rain and we didn't want to eat at the hotel, so I spotted what appeared to be a Dunkin Donuts next door. Turned out to be a Tim Horton's and the menu was great, and I fondly remember how delicious the croissants were at Tim's. They were fresh baked, smelled nice, and were delightfully buttery and flaky.

And then as an adult, I went back (this is after a couple changes in ownership) and the croissants just weren't good at all.

Here in the US, Dunkin Donuts has had a similar change. The donuts used to be OK (they weren't great but they were at least passsable) because the donuts would be delivered in the morning, and the restaurant would bake them on site. Now they're just delivered ready to eat and they just haven't been the same. The other thing about Dunkin is that they used to be good. Now it's the cheapest quality ingredients possible, and they're just riding on local New England brand recognition, and possibly cult following. Dunkin has gone full fast food and now does new rotating fad sandwiches that never stay on the menu more than a few months.