Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Recipe Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
I was trying to find my grandmother's recipe for crepe suzette and found one of her old recipe books at mum's house. I remember these Anzac biscuits so well, it seemed like grandma had them every time we went over to visit. She went into a nursing home in 1997 so it must be the mid-90s the last time I had them. I thought the recipe had died with her. Must be old if we're using pre-metric measures!

Still looking for the crepe suzette recipe, although I'm told it was from a Robert Carrier recipe.
aww...that's a nice memory to have.
1 cup coconut what? flour or actual shredded coconut?
bensyd likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by corky
Actual coconut. Have you ever had them? So delicious and they keep forever (why the ANZAC soldiers carried them in the rucksacks). That recipe is really simple. The one I have has more ingredients (including golden syrup, baking soda and pepitas).

My cousin made them in HI years ago. I gave the recipe to friends and they make dozens of them at a time and give them away at Christmas time.
corky likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by corky
Mum says its shredded coconut. I don't bake, and I wasn't looking for this, but I think I'm going to have to try it out.

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Actual coconut. Have you ever had them? So delicious and they keep forever (why the ANZAC soldiers carried them in the rucksacks). That recipe is really simple. The one I have has more ingredients (including golden syrup, baking soda and pepitas).

My cousin made them in HI years ago. I gave the recipe to friends and they make dozens of them at a time and give them away at Christmas time.
From memory these were more like an Anzac "slice" than a biscuit. I didn't even know they were Anzac biscuits until years later when I was remembering them and Mum said "oh you mean those Anzac biscuits?"
corky likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by bensyd
Mum says its shredded coconut. I don't bake, and I wasn't looking for this, but I think I'm going to have to try it out.

From memory these were more like an Anzac "slice" than a biscuit. I didn't even know they were Anzac biscuits until years later when I was remembering them and Mum said "oh you mean those Anzac biscuits?"

I have a really tasty recipe. I'd be happy to share it, if you'd like. Your grandmother's is rather short on the instructions.
cblaisd, SPN Lifer and LapLap like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I have a really tasty recipe. I'd be happy to share it, if you'd like. Your grandmother's is rather short on the instructions.
Thanks, but that's OK. I'm not a huge baker and every supermarket, corner shop and bakery sells Anzac biscuits of some variety.

I'm pretty sure I can wing that recipe. And mum would know the method, she just didn't see eye to eye with her mother on most things which is probably why she never cooks anything her mother did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.