The Recipe Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Recipe Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Seafood Salad - What's your recipe?

I've been to different restaurants and attended different gatherings to find people have their special ways to prepare a seafood salad.

So .. what's your preference? And I'd love to try your recipe if you have one to share
Old Jan 27, 2007, 7:35 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I do it by ear, er, tastebud but strongly prefer the Italian-style
marinated seafood thing to the mayo-clad American-style.

Ingredients to include various shellfish thingys, lightly steamed,
for example small squid rings and tentacles, smallish shrimp, mussel
or small clam meats, scallop muscles (not roe - saute those
separately). I've had baby octopus at Italian restaurants but
would prefer not to deal with them in my kitchen. No finfish, which
I think go soggy in dressing. Baby mushrooms, a sprinkle of minced
(fresh) onion bits, a few thin slices of celery (restaurants tend to
use too much; I leave it behind). A vinaigrette made with good
white wine vinegar and mild olive oil (not EV), lightly herbed (I
don't use dill or basil in this context, but anything else goes,
including fennel fronds) and - here's where my recipe diverges
from many others - very slightly sweetened with ordinary sugar.
Go light on salt and pepper. Darn, this has set my tum churning
and tastebuds crying out, and it's breakfasttime.

Buon'appetito!
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Scallop, Shrimp, lettuce, olives, pepper sprays, italian dressing.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:28 am

Stoly Pertsovka-Recipe?

Does anybody have a recipe for making a pepper infused vodka similar to Stoly Pertsovka which was discontinued a number of years ago and which I have been unable to find in the USA or Europe?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I really miss Pertsovka. Was reasonably easy to find in the 80s. Impossible in US now. Was impossible in Russia last year - only place I could get it was at the restaurant in the Russian Museum off Red Square (#1). Couldn't find a bottle anywhere & I tried. Pertsovka is unusual as it's hot (not too) but also soft tasting. I wouldn't know how to start (except it's probably a red pepper that does it).

I can't stand most other commercial peppered vodka as they taste chemically to me. There is one from OR that is good (Mazama) but I've found it iffy to find. What I've started to do is simply take put 1 quartered jalapeno into a bottle of vodka (I use Russian Standard) and let it soak for 6-12 hours depending on how hot you want it and the heat of the pepper. That seems to work for me and the resulting peppered vodka has a "green" natural flavor to it.

The reason I needed it is that one of my favorite cocktails is from Wallse in NY - their tomato water martini - and I like to make it at home.

Hope that helps - now you've made me want a little sipping vodka before I go to bed...
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
"chou vendredi" recipe

Does anyone know where to find a recipe for Haitian cabbage and salt-cod stew, otherwise known as "chou vendredi"? A local restaurant serves it but we haven't been able to go on a Friday, which is the only day they make it.

I Googled but couldn't find anything. No combination of search terms in English or French (Haitian food, cod, cabbage, morue, chou etc.) brought up anything successful.

So I'm turning to the collective wisdom of Flyertalk now...
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

feijoada recipe?

Can anyone recommend a recipe for feijoada (the Brazilian national dish)? I saw it on No Reservations and would like to try making it.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/de...earchType=site
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you tried any of these? I'm looking for a recipe people have actually tried and can recommend as being faithful to what feijoada is, since I have never tasted it and don't know anyone who has.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
No, sorry I haven't.

Some of those might have reviews though and can be viewed by rating.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, thanks. And in the meantime, I'm still open to suggestions.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Of the recipes listed, the **** example by Milliken et al looks closer to my memories of and attempts to recreate the dish, better than the sort of short cut recipes of the famous chefs. I's a dish which does need most of the day to prepare.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:05 am

This one is closest to the one my mom from Araçatuba used to make:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqvuJK7xELg

She'd cook the beans along with the meat. Instead of dried beef she'd usually add a ham hock. Linguiça was the mandatory sausage. Pretty much any other meat around would be added--a real everything-but-the-kitchen-sink concept.
Serving it with rice and farofa were standard.

I have made this hundreds of times, never following a specific recipe, just adding the meats I have on hand. It's very easy. The trick is to boil it down. When the beans are done, it will have thickened and become very black.

Feel free to PM me about it if you'd like.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, TAM Fidelidade, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Can anyone recommend a recipe for feijoada (the Brazilian national dish)? I saw it on No Reservations and would like to try making it.
Sr...I am brazilian...there are a lot of recipes I can give you...we can put a lot of ingredients...

Usually we like to eat the "light feijoada". PM me if u need help!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:22 pm
Suspended

hello to every one here i am posting recipe hope it will liked by some of you
This recipe takes some time to cook, but the result is well worth it.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Ingredients:
• 2 cups (1 pound) black beans, rinsed and picked over
• 3/4 pound pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of fat
• 6 ounces slab bacon
• 1/2 pound smoked pork sausages
• 1/2 pound hot Portuguese sausage such as linguica
• 1 or 2 pounds ham hock or shank, cut into 1-inch rounds
• 1 large yellow onion, chopped
• 2 to 4 ounces dried beef carne seca, minced (optional; see Note)
• For the Seasonings:
• 3 garlic cloves, minced and sauteed in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 6 green onions, including tops, chopped
• 1 yellow onion, chopped
• Large handful of chopped fresh parsley (about 1/2 cup)
• 2 bay leaves, crumbled
• 1-1/2 tablespoons dried oregano, crushed
• Salt and ground black pepper
• Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Preparation:
Soak the black beans overnight in water to cover by several inches. Drain.

Place the drained black beans in a saucepan and add water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the beans are tender, 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Add additional water as needed to keep the beans covered.

While the black beans are cooking, prepare the meats. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F. Dice the pork butt or shoulder and the bacon into 1/2-inch cubes. Place the pork, whole sausages, and bacon in a large baking pan. Roast until well done. The sausages will be ready after 35 to 40 minutes and the other meats after 45 to 60 minutes.

Cook the ham hock at the same time as the meats are roasting. In a saucepan, combine the ham hock rounds and onion with water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Remove the ham hock rounds from the water and remove the meat from the bones, if desired; set aside. Or leave the rounds intact for serving alongside the black beans. Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl. Add the strained onions from the liquid to the beans. Add the cooking liquid to the beans if needed to keep them immersed.

Once the black beans are almost cooked, check to make sure there is plenty of cooking liquid in the pot. It should be rather soupy at this point. Stir in the beef carne seca. Cut the sausages into rounds and add them and all the other cooked meats to the pot. Then add all of the seasonings to the pot, including salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the beans are very tender.

Taste and adjust the seasonings. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or parsley just before serving.

NOTE: Using dried beef adds complexity to the richness of this dish, but its inclusion is optional. If dried beef isn't available at your butcher, Armour makes a ground compressed dried beef sold in 2-1/2-ounce jars. Soak it in warm water to cover for 15 minutes to rinse off some of the salt.

Yield: 8 servings

Per serving: Calories: 665, Fat: 34g, Carbohydrates: 45g, Cholesterol: 107mg, Sodium: 801mg, Protein: 45g, Fiber: 12g, % Cal. from Fat: 46%, % Cal. from Carbs: 27%
thanks try it! enjoy it!!!!

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm Reason: Since it sounds like a decent recipe, I'll edit out the spam link from this spamming member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.